Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Monday's games (Nov 30):
Tarasov with the OT shutout stopping all 31 shots he faced for the win!!! Yeah baby!!!:banana:

And this was against the 3rd highest scoring team in the conference and 5th highest in the entire league (out of 21 teams).

For those keeping score at home, that's three starts in less than a week going 2-0-1 with a .947 save percentage and 1.28 GAA. That's good...right?

And...Marchenko with another goal today.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Win or lose...its still news. Tarasov got another start yesterday and despite the loss he gave up just two goals stopping 24 of 26 shots. He doesn't have enough games (or minutes) played to qualify for the KHL leader board but his .935 Save Percentage and 1.84 GAA would both rank #4 in the league.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here we go. My long overdue (sorry, got involved with work, the election, got COVID, other stuff) top 20 prospects POST draft is here.

Here
was my list posted pre draft. If you want to read those explanations on why people are where they are, open that and read up! I'll be doing that here too, but I'll be adding my "potential riser" that I've started doing.

Here was the list pre-draft:

1. Liam Foudy
2. Emil Bemstrom
3. Kirill Marchenko
4. Andrew Peeke
5. Daniil Tarasov
6. Dmitri Voronkov
7. Kevin Stenlund
8. Veini Vehvilainen
9. Eric Hjorth
10. Gabriel Carlsson
11. Trey Fix-Wolansky
12. Mattis Kivlenieks
13. Kole Sherwood
14. Tim Berni
15. Markus Karlberg
16. Ryan MacInnis
17. Peter Thome
18. Tyler Angle
19. Kale Howarth
20. Robbie Stucker

As always, I use the same criteria. How good they are now, how good they can be, and the likelihood they get there. These are all, of course, in my opinion.

*Keep in mind my criteria to be a prospect might be different than others. My criteria is you are considered a prospect if you have less than 82 games played in the NHL as a skater, a full season, or 30 starts as a goalie. Also anyone at or over the age of 25 will either be considered graduated or not a true prospect anymore.*

1. Emil Bemstrom
2. Liam Foudy
3. Yegor Chinakhov
4. Kirill Marchenko
5. Andrew Peeke
6. Dmitri Voronkov
7. Daniil Tarasov
8. Veini Vehvilainen
9. Kevin Stenlund
10. Mikael Pyyhtia
11. Samuel Knazko
12. Eric Hjorth
13. Gabriel Carlsson
14. Trey Fix-Wolansky
15. Samuel Johannesson
16. Matiss Kivlenieks
17. Ole Julian Bjorkvik Holm
18. Kole Sherwood
19. Tim Berni
20. Ryan MacInnis

In: Chinakhov, Pyyhtia, Knazko, Johannesson, Bjorkvik-Holm
Out: Karlberg, Thome, Angle, Howarth, Stucker

Biggest Potential Riser: Knazko

As I explained in my pre-draft post where Foudy BARELY edged out Bemstrom, it is now reversed. Bemstrom is my new top dog at #1 in our draft boards...just barely. His play in the SHL during this down time is the reason why. He has re-sparked his offensive upside and is still playing Torts-brand hockey. Will it net results over in the US? Who knows. I think he has high end upside offensively (25-30 goals) while potential to grow more in his own end. Foudy meanwhile is still the safer pick to be an effective NHL player. Had he been able to play at all during this pandemic, maybe he could have held onto his spot as #1. It's not really his fault that he lost it, as I recall his contributions to the team in the playoff run as well as his season as a whole last year. It really was a true toss up, with recency bias tilting ever so slightly to Bemstrom.

3-6 are really hard to judge as you can make arguments for each player to be at the top of this group. I think the safest bet out of all these players is Andrew Peeke, who I think will be a nice 2nd pairing defenseman when he fills out and is ready. He's a good skater, sound both ways, and has room to grow. Marchenko has the highest upside, but I am worried about his skating stride and if he will be able to make the transition to NHL hockey, especially defensively. Chinakhov seems like a massive boom/bust pick, and his play has seemed to teeter both ways at times this year. Starting off hot, getting drafted, and then cooling off. He has high end upside as well, but not the same as Marchenko. Voronkov has the smallest upside of all of them, but he also has a relatively high chance of reaching that upside if he's interested in coming over. I think he's got 3rd liner written all over him.

Tarasov drops a spot in this due to his lack of playing time. I still believe in his upside, and in his likelihood to get there, but he's got to prove it. When he plays, he's usually fine, but he's got to get minutes. Vehvilainen is a solid goalie prospect in his own right, but Tarasov clearly has the higher end potential of the two. But both could be very good NHL goalies.

Going to skip over Stenlund a bit. He's fine, a tweener player with potential to carve out a 4th line scoring role, but not much better than that.

Pyythia and Knazko were hard to research on. Both have very high end upsides in their game, I slightly preferred Pyythia's more, but I am also more concerned with his game than Knazko's. I see a lot of Wennberg in Pyythia, with the unwillingness to take shots and the reliable playmaking ability. I think what Wennberg was to us in his last two/three years might be near Pyythia's ceiling, but depending how he rounds out his game it could be more than that. Knazko I think has second pairing upside. Has a very good skating stride and seems to be creative with moving the puck. I prefer both player to Hjorth, who has a lower upside and lower chance of hitting it than Knazo, and Carlsson, who has a lower upside but higher end chance of hitting it. I will be interested to watch their developments.

I nearly picked Johannesson over Knazko for biggest riser. I think he's got something to his game. Just need to watch him play more and see if its just new toy hype or if its genuine belief out of him. But for now, I place him below likely career AHLers in Hjorth, Carlsson, and TFW with the caveat that I do like what I see.

Our top 10 prospects are either really safe reliable contributors (Foudy, Peeke, Voronkov), high end boom or bust potential guys (Chinakhov, Marchenko, Vehvilainen) or somewhere in between (Bemstrom, Tarasov). Everyone after that is a roll of the dice.

I think the health of our prospect pool is relatively decent considering we have traded two first round picks in the last few years, a boatload of 2nd/3rd rounders as well as other picks, trades, and had a ton of young/early graduates. However, it is clearly still not a "top" prospect pool either. It's probably in the lower-middle tier of pools. But considering the lack of picks it could be a lot worse.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Is Chinakhov injured or just getting healthy scratched?

EDIT: Or prepping for the World Juniors?

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Voronkov 1+1
While its nice to see Voronkov put up some measurable offensive stats, let's keep reminding ourselves that is not his "game" and its not how we should measure his growth. He's not making the CBJ roster for his flashy stick handling, crazy toe drags or devastating wrister.

Voronkov is going to lace up the skates and do his best impression of Boone Jenner in a much bigger super-suit. Punish opposing defensemen in the corners, make life miserable for the goalie taking away his eyes away and yes...earning ugly dirty greasy goals on rebounds in front of the net.

What I mean is I like to hear he was 1+1 but that's just gravy to his game. If he doesn't score it doesn't worry me one bit. IMO his success is not measured in personal goals and assists...its in making it easier for his line mates to pump up their stat sheets and the CBJ's win column! And that's just fine with me.

Now Marchenko and Chinakhov...you boys keep goalies looking to the rafters shaking their heads in frustation because they realize they never had a chance to make a play on the puck that just went past them and into the net.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Voronkov scored two goals for team Russia. He actually outscored Marchenko in this tourney, he’s been producing lately, not just throwing body around

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's an American friendly clip of Voronkov's goals:

Was Marchenko in the lineup? I know he wasn't in the first game.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Chinakhov has cooled off. He has posted 3-5-8 in 15 games in the K since being drafted.

He has six even-strength points all season on an unsustainable 16.3% shooting percentage. He's averaging 1.8 shots per game in 17.3 shifts per.

Looking like the sparkle of the first round selection is wearing off (for now).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chinakhov has cooled off. He has posted 3-5-8 in 15 games in the K since being drafted.

He has six even-strength points all season on an unsustainable 16.3% shooting percentage. He's averaging 1.8 shots per game in 17.3 shifts per.

Looking like the sparkle of the first round selection is wearing off (for now).

He's certainly cooled. But let's not mislead. 8 pts in 15 games for a 19 year old in the KHL? That's really damn good. The other more highly ranked 19 year olds - Podkolzin and Amirov - haven't done that much. Podkolzin can't seem to score in the KHL, and hasn't been given much of a shot. And Amirov, who does play a lot and is very good, has 8 pts all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->