Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I don't know why Pronman bothers evaluating skills with that number system of his, the information just looks useless.
I actually like the 20-80 scale a lot, but Pronman doesn't use it properly. Every prospect is a 50, 55, or 60 at everything, or a 45 at worst. That's not how it works. You can't get useful information that way.

Reactions: GoJackets1

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Sweden and finland U20 camps will start together and will play 3 games 5-7 nov lots of player missing due to covid but Pyyhtia will be there. would be nice if he actually make the u20 team

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sweden and finland U20 camps will start together and will play 3 games 5-7 nov lots of player missing due to covid but Pyyhtia will be there. would be nice if he actually make the u20 team

Is Knazko also in that camp? And considered for the U20 team?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Is Knazko also in that camp? And considered for the U20 team?
its just sweden-finland mini camp this year because of covid and theres no other cbj prospect going. considering knazko was already on u20 for slovakia last year he must be a lock I think. both teams aren't top tier anyway it's very much so not the final roster for those two nation. really just an opportunity for us to see Pyyhtia play better player than in fin junior

sweden roster Här är Juniorkronornas trupp till JVM-genrepet - Hockeysverige
finland roster Nuoret Leijonat kohti MM-kisoja – nämä pelaajat Liigasta marraskuun leiriryhmässä

still some first rounder like Holmstrom, Raymond, Holtz to play against and Lundell and Heinola to play with

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Super cool he signed that KHL extension and we won't see him until possibly 2022 at the earliest!
You seem to have it out for this kid...or out for Jarmo for selecting Russians who decide to do their development in the KHL (if you don't you have a funny way of regurgitating this same complaint over and over). He's not ready yet and I wouldn't want the CBJ to rush him. When he gets here for the 2022-2023 season he should be ready to contribute even while learning the NHL game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
its just sweden-finland mini camp this year because of covid and theres no other cbj prospect going. considering knazko was already on u20 for slovakia last year he must be a lock I think. both teams aren't top tier anyway it's very much so not the final roster for those two nation. really just an opportunity for us to see Pyyhtia play better player than in fin junior

sweden roster Här är Juniorkronornas trupp till JVM-genrepet - Hockeysverige
finland roster Nuoret Leijonat kohti MM-kisoja – nämä pelaajat Liigasta marraskuun leiriryhmässä

still some first rounder like Holmstrom, Raymond, Holtz to play against and Lundell and Heinola to play with

I totally forgot Knazko was Slovak, of course he'll make his team.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I caught a bit of that SKA vs Omsk game, Omsk really was flat in the third period, game was very close and then SKA scored like 4 straight goals. They kind of just gave up at the end. Marchenko nor Chinakhov weren't super noticeable to me on the score sheet but when they did have the puck you can tell they have way more skill than the average player on the ice. Both know how to protect the puck very well, Marchenko especially and noticed Chinakhov had some dangles, went around a few guys in seemingly no space. Chinakhov also wasn't shy to crash the net, started one of the few scrums that way.

Reactions: Moch Daear

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
It's odd to me how people have used the past to dictate the future, regardless of the fact that each case is different. For example - we draft an 18yo who is heading to college and nobody says a word. Draft a 19yo who has a new 3 year deal in Russia and people panic. The expectation is sort of the same, no? They come out at age 22 and start their ELC. Projecting onto this kid the failures of "every" Russian we've drafted is nonsense. Projecting onto this kid the "problem" of staying in Russia to play 3 years instead of coming here to play in Cleveland or going to college is nonsense. The kid is an individual case and deserves that opportunity to do so. We complain that our system doesn't do a good enough job developing our players and then complain when the players want to stay somewhere they speak the language, understand the customs, get to play against high level (dare say higher level) talent, and get to play a fair number of minutes. I know so much of what these kids could turn into is "projecting" but we need to stop "projecting" our fears and focus on what we see.

To echo Gagnefan924- the game was extremely tight and seemed to open up in the 2nd period before Omsk laid an egg in the third. The feed I stream from wasn't terribly clear but I noticed Chinakhov showing the desire to get to the front of the net, crashing and in an effort to deflect shots in. Both players looked good for being young men in a sport of men. Skills definitely there, work rate seemed to be there, and they didn't look out of place.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You seem to have it out for this kid...or out for Jarmo for selecting Russians who decide to do their development in the KHL (if you don't you have a funny way of regurgitating this same complaint over and over). He's not ready yet and I wouldn't want the CBJ to rush him. When he gets here for the 2022-2023 season he should be ready to contribute even while learning the NHL game.

The kid is good, obviously.

Using a 2nd round pick on a guy who you then can't even get on North American ice for four years is...not ideal.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Using a 2nd round pick on a guy who you then can't even get on North American ice for four years is...not ideal.
Its premature because I am sure the list grows this coming season. But through two NHL seasons exactly two players from Marchenko's class drafted in the second round have seen time in the NHL (Martin Ferhevary has played a whopping 6 games for Washington and David Gustafson has played 22 games for Winterpeg). So hard to say we have missed out on anything...yet.

I would also argue that this is the beauty of a GM who feels secure in his job. He can play the long game with his draft picks. He drafted the kid he thought had the most upside at his draft spot. Not worried about him making some impact short-term but a kid who has the chance to make a big impact down the road. Would you rather draft a F who is a 15 G scorer but you get him in the NHL in two seasons or a guy who will be a 25 G scorer but you have to wait four seasons? As a fan looking at the long term I will take the latter.

I don't know if Marchenko will be the top second rounder in his class, certainly there are a couple of other kids drafted after him looking very good too but Marchenko was considered a first round talent who slipped because of the Russian factor.

Reactions: Moch Daear

pled

Sep 7, 2009
the only reason to be scared of the russian factor is if you don't have faith that your organization to be able to win them over.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Have you looked at what a second round typically produces within four years? Here's the 2016 draft.

There's two players with multiple productive years, about half a dozen players coming off their first full season, and maybe a dozen more that will play their first seasons this year or next. Most won't ever be worth anything.

We're most likely losing little or nothing by having Marchenko develop in St. Petersburg, and if he turns into an NHL scorer of any repute he'll already be more valuable than your average second round pick.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Marchenko with another goal today

Bit of a dirty goal on a broken play, but being in a position to score the goal was good and the finish was quality.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Marchenko keeps progressing the way he's been doing lately, there is a chance he will make the Olympic roster even with NHLers playing.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Marchenko keeps progressing the way he's been doing lately, there is a chance he will make the Olympic roster even with NHLers playing.
Interesting thought, probably has a long way to go to make that a possibility. Would be nice to see NHLers again instead of something that was basically a glorified Spenglar Cup

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Interesting thought, probably has a long way to go to make that a possibility. Would be nice to see NHLers again instead of something that was basically a glorified Spenglar Cup
fun story, next week theres a mini Spengler cup(Karjala Cup) in Finland and since russia wasnt invited to sweden & finland u20 camp they are sending their u20 roster there and finland is pretty upset and said they wont let them play. Chinakov was supposed to be there. not sure if he'll play or not.

Zaar technically still a cbj guy is playing there if anyone care :naughty:

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Pyyhtia had two more goals and an assist last night. That's 8 Goals and 17 Points in just 14 games. Yes its the Finnish U20 league but he's only eighteen.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Pyyhtia had two more goals and an assist last night. That's 8 Goals and 17 Points in just 14 games. Yes its the Finnish U20 league but he's only eighteen.
Seems like a weird league, I was looking up Knazko and point leaders among D and the league leader is 21.
Its good on Pyythia to pick up some points though, you would expect NHL caliber prospects to dominate junior leagues and hes been moving up the top scorer charts

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I like everything I see with Pyyhtia but the statline is so hard to gauge in that league. There are 19 year olds with not just a little but A LOT more points than Pyyhtia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad