Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
And until the dinosaur behind the bench is let go ,that’s turned Laine now into an invisible player , I will keep the perspective that Bemstrom is still that player , he’s just stuck with a coach right now who doesn’t know how to coach today’s game . Next yr will be telling .

Not sure you can pin that on John Tortorella. Laine's goal total has decreased every season since his rookie year and a -30 plus/minus is hard to blame on a coach.

Perhaps this is a coach trying to teach him how to play a complete game (something at 23 years old he is still young enough to learn). A full off season should give a great indicator of whether Laine becomes just another player who flashed early or develops into the perennial all-star his size, skill and draft status suggests he can be.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The Monsters have three more games after tonight (end of CBJ season). Is it safe to assume Foudy, Tarasov, Kivy and Peeker get reassigned to get a couple more games played?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Item 3: Chinakhov not waiting
Kirill Marchenko, drafted by the Blue Jackets in 2018, is expected to make his highly anticipated NHL arrival in 2022-23. Dimitry Voronkov, drafted the following year, is expected to come over from the KHL in 2023-24.
The timeline Marchenko and Voronkov are following — call it a five-year plan — makes sense. They get to stay in Mother Russia, continue to play and develop in one of the top leagues outside the NHL, and make more money in the KHL than they would if they spent time in the AHL.
That brings us to forward Yegor Chinakhov, who the Blue Jackets drafted in the first round (No. 21) of last year’s draft.
Chinakhov, 20, won the KHL’s Gagarin Cup with Avangard Omsk in late April. Before the champagne went stale he had an offer on the table to sign a new deal with the Avangard, one that likely would have put him on a similar path as Marchenko and Voronkov by securing the next few seasons in the KHL.
But Chinakhov doesn’t want to wait to take his shot at the NHL.
“I had options to leave for Canada at the age of 17, but I chose the option of development in Russia, and I think that I did everything right,” Chinakhov said in an email exchange with The Athletic. “Now I am 20 years old, and it’s time to try myself at a new level.”

Chinakhov signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Blue Jackets last week, knowing there’s a possibility he could spend time — a few months? a season? two seasons? — with Columbus’ AHL affiliate in Cleveland.

The contract would pay Chinakhov $925,000 per season, plus potential bonuses, if he sticks with the Blue Jackets. He’d make a flat rate of $80,000 in the AHL. The first year of the contract is being burned this season, meaning Chinakhov will be a restricted free agent after the 2022-23 season.

“I am ready for this (challenge),” Chinakhov said. “I do not consider other options (other than the NHL) for myself. I will go to my goal.”

Bob Hartley, who won a Stanley Cup as coach of the Colorado Avalanche in 2001, was Chinakhov’s coach this season. Chinakhov had 10-7-17 in 32 regular season games and 5-2-7 in 21 postseason games.
Hartley was asked for a scouting report:
“Yegor is a great young man,” Hartley said. “OK skater. Good worker. NHL wrist shot. Made big progress in his understanding of the game. Could be more aggressive. Might need one or two years in the minors.”

The Blue Jackets would rather have him learning how to play the North American style up the road in Cleveland than on the other side of the world.

Chinakhov is hoping to arrive in Columbus later this month to scout the city, meet members of the organization and take a tour of Nationwide Arena. The Blue Jackets can set him up with an offseason conditioning program and integrate him into the organization.

He’ll likely stay for a couple of weeks before returning home for the summer, agent Shumi Babaev said.

Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Who follows John Tortorella as coach? Plus, a roster projection for 2021-22

Reactions: LJ7201 and CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Quote from above article by Hartley re Chinakhov:

“Yegor is a great young man,” Hartley said. “OK skater. Good worker. NHL wrist shot. Made big progress in his understanding of the game. Could be more aggressive. Might need one or two years in the minors.”

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Quote from above article by Hartley re Chinakhov:

Nothing surprising there.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I certainly don’t believe in reserving a spot In the Jackets lineup next year. But that begs the question for me of why bring him to North America? It’s universally accepted the KHL is a superior league to the AHL (and all other leagues for that matter). It strikes me that his development would be better fostered in the KHL than AHL.

Someone tell me why we see the AHL as a netter development path vs. the KHL (or the other top two Euro leagues for that matter)?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Someone tell me why we see the AHL as a netter development path vs. the KHL (or the other top two Euro leagues for that matter)?

Quality of the league itself aside, I do see value in being able to transition back and forth between the 2 leagues (NHL <-> AHL) as needed. I don't know that it justifies the move entirely, but that's one partial answer IMO.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I certainly don’t believe in reserving a spot In the Jackets lineup next year. But that begs the question for me of why bring him to North America? It’s universally accepted the KHL is a superior league to the AHL (and all other leagues for that matter). It strikes me that his development would be better fostered in the KHL than AHL.

Maybe the options were:

1) stay in KHL on a three year deal
2) come to North America and maybe spend 1-2 years in AHL.

Maybe KHL would be better for his development but Jarmo didn't want to risk having to wait three years for him. Can't say I disagree with Jarmo on this one. And who knows...maybe the relationship with Omsk can be smoothed over and if he doesn't make the CBJ squad out of camp he can be loaned back to Omsk for the season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Quality of the league itself aside, I do see value in being able to transition back and forth between the 2 leagues (NHL <-> AHL) as needed. I don't know that it justifies the move entirely, but that's one partial answer IMO.

I don't necessarily see AHL as "better" than KHL for player development. I think the difference lies in two things:
1) What Monk said. If you're in the A, you could potentially see time in the N.
2) What aspects of play does a young player need to work on?

I suppose there's always the potential for underlying concern over whether a player intends to come over at all, but I don't think that's an issue with Chinakov.

Broadly, I've supported our Euro prospects spending the first few years after their drafts, especially if they're playing in the better leagues over there. I go back and forth on the value of "learning the small ice" thing, but again, I suppose that depends as much on the player as it does anything else.

Reactions: thebus88 and Monk

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From this week's 31 thoughts. 31 Thoughts: What caused the 'disconnect' between Eichel, Sabres

Hartley's full quote on Chinakhov:

Finally, some more on Hartley. The coach gave a glowing scouting report of Yegor Chinakhov, taken 21st overall by Columbus in 2020. (Hartley loved it when we struggled to talk about the young Russian when the Blue Jackets took him out of nowhere.) “This kid shows up, the first drill I’m watching him and suddenly he takes a shot. My God, I saw a Russian Joe Sakic,” Hartley said. “The kid has Joe Sakic’s wrist shot…. Right now, that’s his main strength for the NHL — his shot.” Hartley is very positive about Chinakhov’s future, praising his progress and confidence. He did admit that two months ago, he advised the forward to stay in the KHL for another couple of years, like
“I’m not saying he’s not ready for the NHL, but I could get him even more ready, more reliable. He’s very mature, an unbelievable young man. Surprise pick, but a great pick.”

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
The Monsters have three more games after tonight (end of CBJ season). Is it safe to assume Foudy, Tarasov, Kivy and Peeker get reassigned to get a couple more games played?
Kivi played his last game of the season yesterday and is flying to Latvia today.

Tarasov likely getting the last two games of the AHL season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
They will play 12 fwds and 8 defenseman likely. Nemec will play top 4 minutes. I expect Knazko to play on the 4th pairing.
IMHO too but I hope Kňažko will play TOP 4 he has a huge potential and Ramsey loves similar players. Plus I really think he is better than some players.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Say it isn't so.
I think its obvious that Thome is not getting an offer this summer and I wish him the best backstopping a new D1 program this fall. Listening to his interviews he sounds like a really nice kid and am rooting for him. But this does bring up an issue. I remember a GM once said you draft a goalie every year. You never know which goalies are going to bust, injuries, etc. and if you end up with two really good ones you can always trade one.

Yes one of Korpi or Elvis can be an NHL starter for quite a few years and yes Tarasov is hopefully next in line but a good organization always has "who's next" somewhere in the pipeline. And for the past decade we have had the luxury of multiple promising looking prospects at the position.

Forsberg in 2011, Dansk and Korpi in 2012, Elvis in 2014, Thome in 2016, Tarasov (and Kivlenieks) in 2017 and V2 in 2018. But we have gone two full drafts now without taking a goalie and with V2 traded away its really three years.

That leaves Tarasov (22) as the youngest and Kivy the most recent additions in the system. Perhaps this is more of a draft thread post but IMO this team does need to find another goalie prospect in this upcoming draft.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think its obvious that Thome is not getting an offer this summer and I wish him the best backstopping a new D1 program this fall. Listening to his interviews he sounds like a really nice kid and am rooting for him. But this does bring up an issue. I remember a GM once said you draft a goalie every year. You never know which goalies are going to bust, injuries, etc. and if you end up with two really good ones you can always trade one.

Yes one of Korpi or Elvis can be an NHL starter for quite a few years and yes Tarasov is hopefully next in line but a good organization always has "who's next" somewhere in the pipeline. And for the past decade we have had the luxury of multiple promising looking prospects at the position.

Forsberg in 2011, Dansk and Korpi in 2012, Elvis in 2014, Thome in 2016, Tarasov (and Kivlenieks) in 2017 and V2 in 2018. But we have gone two full drafts now without taking a goalie and with V2 traded away its really three years.

That leaves Tarasov (22) as the youngest and Kivy the most recent additions in the system. Perhaps this is more of a draft thread post but IMO this team does need to find another goalie prospect in this upcoming draft.

I think one per year might be too often/a waste of draft capital, but I’d say 2 every 3 years on average is a good cadence. I think you’re right that it’s time another goalie to the pipeline with a mid-late round pick this year. (We probably “should’ve” last year under normal circumstances, but with our limited number of picks in both 2019 and 2020, it didn’t make a ton of sense to use one on a goalie when we are/were hurting in quantity of skater prospects.)

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Voronkov will play for Russia in WC, Marchenko `ll train per a a special program. He isn`t in taxi now.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Knazko was very solid in a 5-2 win for Slovakia over Belarus. He didn’t play a ton but moved the puck well and stood up against KHL vets. It’s easy to forget that he is still only 18 with all the attention towards Nemec and Power, he still has a lot of muscle to add to his frame. Today he showed some aggressive side to him, showing physical side. From all reports, he’s a real good leader. I expect a dominant performance from him at next years WJC

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Knazko was very solid in a 5-2 win for Slovakia over Belarus. He didn’t play a ton but moved the puck well and stood up against KHL vets. It’s easy to forget that he is still only 18 with all the attention towards Nemec and Power, he still has a lot of muscle to add to his frame. Today he showed some aggressive side to him, showing physical side. From all reports, he’s a real good leader. I expect a dominant performance from him at next years WJC
IMHO Knazko is enough underrated but he has potential to be a very good defensman. IMHO he could move to TOP 3 defensme here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad