Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm with cbjwennberg on this topic. Our prospect pool is thin and lacks and lacks any "sure shot" offensive talent and one pretty solid D man. Goalies are a crap shoot. All the optimists are in denial here imo. The fact that the team is young is not the point here. Its a standalone look at the prospect pool.

Yeah we are young and maybe Bemstrom, Tex, et al may develop into offensive superstars but we;ll see.

Big fear of mine is we rushed Bemstrom because Jarmo is in love with him and now he must overcome the Brassard/Jake model of rushing them and the Torts stick him on the 4th line habit.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free
Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

Looks to me he is eligible for drafting next year
Good stuff. :thumbu: That clarifies also that he'd be in the "North American" category. Still not sure about whether or not he could have been signed during camp this year or something.

* * *​
I'm with cbjwennberg on this topic. Our prospect pool is thin and lacks and lacks any "sure shot" offensive talent and one pretty solid D man. Goalies are a crap shoot. All the optimists are in denial here imo. The fact that the team is young is not the point here. Its a standalone look at the prospect pool.

Yeah we are young and maybe Bemstrom, Tex, et al may develop into offensive superstars but we;ll see.

Big fear of mine is we rushed Bemstrom because Jarmo is in love with him and now he must overcome the Brassard/Jake model of rushing them and the Torts stick him on the 4th line habit.
The fact that the team is young is an important distinction because it means we won't be as pressured to dip into that prospect pool as quickly, because we've got plenty of guys who'll be productive for years and years. Or, IOW, it minimizes the potential negative impact of having a thin prospect pool.

It is depleted significantly, tho; there's no doubt about that. And I do think we need to restock it. I just don't think it's a dire emergency. I think the youth of the team gives us the time to do it with patience and calm.

Reactions: Monk

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
How many teams are good, young, have a ton of cap space, and have a great prospect pool? If there are any, I am guessing there are very few.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa

The point is that there is no point in doing a standalone look at the prospect pool. A hockey team only has one goal, and that goal is to win the Stanley Cup. Every other objective (prospect pool, cap management, "winning" trades) only matters insofar as it has an effect on the team's ability to win the Stanley Cup. Yes, the prospect pool is thin. Nobody is disputing that. But the point is to win the Cup. You don't win anything for having the best prospect pool.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The point is that there is no point in doing a standalone look at the prospect pool. A hockey team only has one goal, and that goal is to win the Stanley Cup. Every other objective (prospect pool, cap management, "winning" trades) only matters insofar as it has an effect on the team's ability to win the Stanley Cup. Yes, the prospect pool is thin. Nobody is disputing that. But the point is to win the Cup. You don't win anything for having the best prospect pool.

The point here is I don't believe the Jackets have the talent to win a Cup, either now or in the future. Having a for crap (ie thin) prospect pool doesn't help matters

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ need 3 of 4 of Bemstrom, Texier, Bjorkstrand and PLD to become solid 25 goals players, or they will be in the bottom third of the league for a long time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The CBJ need 3 of 4 of Bemstrom, Texier, Bjorkstrand and PLD to become solid 25 goals players, or they will be in the bottom third of the league for a long time.
There's probably other possible paths to get there rather than insisting on it out of those four. That said, that would certainly be the most convenient and straightforward way.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is more off-the-rails pessimism.

The Jackets have one solid 25 goal player in Atkinson, so adding 3 more to that, something the Jackets might actually be capable of doing, would total 4 (let's forget that Anderson might keep doing it). There's only ~75 such players who total 25+ in the league in a given year, so 2.4 per team. You're in effect saying we would need 4/2.4 or 67% more 25+ goal scorers than the average team would just in order to get out of the league basement. That's also 100% more (double) the 25+ goal scorers the Blues had last year or the Caps the year before them or the Pens the year before that. We would need to double the Cup champs just to be out of the basement! Wow.

The inferiority complex is the zombie of the Jackets' boards. It cannot be killed no matter how statistically off track it may be.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is more off-the-rails pessimism.

The Jackets have one solid 25 goal player in Atkinson, so adding 3 more to that, something the Jackets might actually be capable of doing, would total 4 (let's forget that Anderson might keep doing it). There's only ~75 such players who total 25+ in the league in a given year, so 2.4 per team. You're in effect saying we would need 4/2.4 or 67% more 25+ goal scorers than the average team would just in order to get out of the league basement. That's also 100% more (double) the 25+ goal scorers the Blues had last year or the Caps the year before them or the Pens the year before that. We would need to double the Cup champs just to be out of the basement! Wow.

The inferiority complex is the zombie of the Jackets' boards. It cannot be killed no matter how statistically off track it may be.
Whatever.

Perron had 23 goals in 57 games. Are you intentionally misleading, just sloppy or obtuse? The Blues also had 13 double digit goal scorers compared to the CBJ 9.

If PLD and Bjorkstrand aren't the real deals-and this is entirely possible especially with Bjorkstrand-then the rookies have to be and who knows with them. Given that the GM basically traded away the farm despite having a very weak prospect pool, it's essential that Texier and/or Bemstrom be solid goal scorers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whatever.

Perron had 23 goals in 57 games. Are you intentionally misleading, just sloppy or obtuse?

The technical term is "correct".

I thought I was being charitable enough by leaving Josh Anderson out of it.

But go ahead and throw Perron in there. You're still saying the minimum number of 25+ goal scorers we'd need to get out of the league basement is more than all the recent Cup champs had.

The Blues also had 13 double digit goal scorers compared to the CBJ 9.

So you're saying we could have fewer 25+ goal scorers if we come up with more 10+ goal scorers? I agree with that.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Marchenko is still dressing and sitting on the bench. 120 minutes of "developing", best seats though...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko is still dressing and sitting on the bench. 120 minutes of "developing", best seats though...

How well paid is he? It must be frustrating to sit knowing it is not good for his development. I wonder if he can be induced to sign elsewhere.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
How well paid is he? It must be frustrating to sit knowing it is not good for his development. I wonder if he can be induced to sign elsewhere.
I don't know, but i think very little, he was signed as a MHL player, it's last year of his contract. Elsewhere is only option if it's abroad, but i think he wants Kaprizov path.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The technical term is "correct".

I thought I was being charitable enough by leaving Josh Anderson out of it.

But go ahead and throw Perron in there. You're still saying the minimum number of 25+ goal scorers we'd need to get out of the league basement is more than all the recent Cup champs had.

So you're saying we could have fewer 25+ goal scorers if we come up with more 10+ goal scorers? I agree with that.

Nice strawman. Where did I say "basement"? You took a simple statement and turned it into a CBJ vs. STL mess.

Good job.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nice strawman. Where did I say "basement"? You took a simple statement and turned it into a CBJ vs. STL mess.

Good job.

Ok rephrase it as "the minimum number of 25+ goal scorers we'd need to get out of the bottom third of the league is more than the last three recent Cup champs had." It's still obviously wrong.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ok rephrase it as "the minimum number of 25+ goal scorers we'd need to get out of the bottom third of the league is more than the last three recent Cup champs had." It's still obviously wrong.

Don't be so pedantic.

The gist of what I'm saying is that 3 of the 4 need to succeed for this team to be decent. I originally was going to put 20-25 as the number.

And, yes, it's vital that the current prospects who are on the NHL roster succeed. There are no NHL caliber forwards in the farm system and Foudy and Fix-W are probably not going to be NHL impact players.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't be so pedantic.
Folks can only respond to what gets written. :dunno:

I think the concern there (and it's one I share, and the basis for my reply earlier) is that the contrapositive of your "3 of the 4" statement would be that if two of them don't succeed, that means we're in serious trouble - and yet there's ways around that too, such as if other guys step up and get into double-digit goal scoring (much like what St. Louis has). There are many paths to getting the goals we need.

Again, I'd certainly prefer we get three out of the four guys successful (heck, I wouldn't turn up my nose at all four doing it ;) ), but IMO it's worth acknowledging that it's not a hard and fast requirement. Just the practical ideal.

Reactions: majormajor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Frustrated here. What’s the deal with Marchenko? I continue to check the SKA box scores and he either he’s scratched or plays less than three minutes.

How does a kid develop with nearly zero playing time? I’m hoping this scenario makes Marchenko give the KHL the bird next season and he jumps the pond to the AHL.

He had such a great start to his season and the last few weeks seem like lost development time.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Frustrated here. What’s the deal with Marchenko? I continue to check the SKA box scores and he either he’s scratched or plays less than three minutes.

How does a kid develop with nearly zero playing time? I’m hoping this scenario makes Marchenko give the KHL the bird next season and he jumps the pond to the AHL.

He had such a great start to his season and the last few weeks seem like lost development time.
They finally sent him back to VHL, he played 1st game on October 15, scored a goal.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
They finally sent him back to VHL, he played 1st game on October 15, scored a goal.

About freaking time! Actually it looks like he played Oct 11 & 13 as well...so 1 Goal and 3 Pts in 3 Games since his return.

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Angle got credit for two goals tonight...and Foudy scores one in his season debut for the other side.

On a side note...Windsor has a player named Jean-Luc Foudy from the same hometown as Liam. Brothers? Both score tonight. Jean-Luc had 8 Goals and 49 Points in 63 Games as a 16 year old OHL rookie last season. A 6' pivot who clearly likes to distribute the puck. Perhaps he's a legit prospect. Maybe we should unite the brothers (if they are brothers).

Reactions: spitsfan24

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Angle got credit for two goals tonight...and Foudy scores one in his season debut for the other side.

On a side note...Windsor has a player named Jean Luc Foudy from the same hometown as Liam. Brothers? Both score tonight.
Yes they are brothers.

I've had season tickets with the Spits for almost a decade now, and Jean-Luc is one of the more exciting guys I've had the pleasure of watching. Very much like Liam; speed for days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->