Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They have two years to replace Dubinsky, Foligino and Riley Nash, plus any of the guys that made the opening night roster that do not pan out (e.g. Milano).
Talk about a tough task... We might have 2 of them already in Sherwood and Stenlund. Worrying about bottom 6 players with limited offense seems pretty silly

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
A good game for Tarasov. Ässät still lost 3-0 against powerhouse Kärpät (one of the best clubs in all of Europe). Only allowed 1 goal and that was off a bounce right in front, nothing he could do about it.

He had a couple of blowouts before, but the numbers seem worse than his performance. Ässät had two complete shitshows of games where Daniil didn't get ANY help from the team.
So far in 8 games the team has scored the shattering total of 12 (12!) goals so far while allowing 18, tied for 4th least in the league, so the goaltending is definitely not the issue. It's the goalscoring, their PP is now at 3,23%, yes, dead last in the league.

All in all, I'd say Daniil is doing fine, however, Aittokallio is outperforming him thus far while having the benefit of the team actually showing up to the games he's in.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
A good game for Tarasov. Ässät still lost 3-0 against powerhouse Kärpät (one of the best clubs in all of Europe). Only allowed 1 goal and that was off a bounce right in front, nothing he could do about it.

He had a couple of blowouts before, but the numbers seem worse than his performance. Ässät had two complete ****shows of games where Daniil didn't get ANY help from the team.
So far in 8 games the team has scored the shattering total of 12 (12!) goals so far while allowing 18, tied for 4th least in the league, so the goaltending is definitely not the issue. It's the goalscoring, their PP is now at 3,23%, yes, dead last in the league.

All in all, I'd say Daniil is doing fine, however, Aittokallio is outperforming him thus far while having the benefit of the team actually showing up to the games he's in.
Really appreciate these updates, please keep them coming!

Reactions: Doggy

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Let's assume that Lilja, Benstrom, Milano, Texier and Gavrikov have all graduated to the NHL - more or less on a regular basis. The CBJ need more prospects. I suddenly don't like the depth at forward.
The team should be fine while these guys get settled. But during the next 24 months, they need more prospects.

Yep. This is the prospect “gap” created when you trade away an entire draft to go for it.

Gonna be slim pickins for a while for a franchise that, up until last year’s spending spree, prided themselves on being a draft and develop organization.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yep. This is the prospect “gap” created when you trade away an entire draft to go for it.

Gonna be slim pickins for a while for a franchise that, up until last year’s spending spree, prided themselves on being a draft and develop organization.

For sure. Unless this team is near the top of the division, I think our draft picks are going to be under lock and key. When this batch of prospects fully graduates, we will only have goalies, Foudy (maybe), and Peeke as legitimate prospects.

That is of course assuming nobody comes out of nowhere to become a great prospect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When this batch of prospects fully graduates, we will only have goalies, Foudy (maybe), and Peeke as legitimate prospects.

And who do they replace? This is a fake crisis.

Also - TFW? Sherwood? Not "legitimate prospects"? There's top 9 players on most teams with lowlier backgrounds than that.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And who do they replace? This is a fake crisis.

Also - TFW? Sherwood? Not "legitimate prospects"? There's top 9 players on most teams with lowlier backgrounds than that.

I don't understand your first question on who do they replace. They're "replacing" the group thats in the NHL and about to graduate (So Texier, Bemstrom, Milano, Gavrikov, Elvis). The new group to come would be Foudy, Peeke, VV, and Tarasov. Noticable lack of forwards (because I'm unsure on Foudy), and only one defenseman. Luckily our NHL core group is really young, because our prospect base is about to become bare in the next 2-3 years.

We'll see on TFW. No to Sherwood (we've had this debate).

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Talk about a tough task... We might have 2 of them already in Sherwood and Stenlund. Worrying about bottom 6 players with limited offense seems pretty silly

Robinson...

For sure. Unless this team is near the top of the division, I think our draft picks are going to be under lock and key. When this batch of prospects fully graduates, we will only have goalies, Foudy (maybe), and Peeke as legitimate prospects.

That is of course assuming nobody comes out of nowhere to become a great prospect.

Like Bemstrom?

This whole debate topic is weird. It's either a crisis or it's no biggie. Why can't it be a legitimate issue but also one that's mitigated by the current NHL roster and the fact that the front office is certainly aware of the situation and will take whatever steps it feels necessary to address it?

Yes, the organization went for it at the last trade deadline. Do we think this stuff on the back end is coming as a surprise?

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
A thin prospect pool is an issue for two reasons: one, it indicates a lack of quality players ready to step in for aging/departing guys; and two, it indicates a lack of trade currency. The former isn't really a big deal for the Jackets right now -- Texier/Bemstrom/Milano/Gavrikov are still "prospects" in all senses but the technical definition, and the core of the team is young and controllable for the foreseeable future. Barring catastrophe, there shouldn't be too many roster holes that need filling, which means there won't be much need for prospects from that angle. The issue is the second factor. There just aren't many guys in the system that could demand a lot in a trade and aren't needed at the NHL level. That can quickly become a problem if, as many people on here believe, the roster is lacking an impact player of the kind that can only really be brought to Columbus via trade.

Basically, the thin prospect pool means the guys we have now better be the real deal. If they are, then there's plenty of time to replenish it. If they're not, then yeah, there might be some issues.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A thin prospect pool is an issue for two reasons: one, it indicates a lack of quality players ready to step in for aging/departing guys; and two, it indicates a lack of trade currency. The former isn't really a big deal for the Jackets right now -- Texier/Bemstrom/Milano/Gavrikov are still "prospects" in all senses but the technical definition, and the core of the team is young and controllable for the foreseeable future. Barring catastrophe, there shouldn't be too many roster holes that need filling, which means there won't be much need for prospects from that angle. The issue is the second factor. There just aren't many guys in the system that could demand a lot in a trade and aren't needed at the NHL level. That can quickly become a problem if, as many people on here believe, the roster is lacking an impact player of the kind that can only really be brought to Columbus via trade.

Basically, the thin prospect pool means the guys we have now better be the real deal. If they are, then there's plenty of time to replenish it. If they're not, then yeah, there might be some issues.
Personally, I'm very confident in the guys we have, and I think we still have plenty of time for replenishment regardless given the youth of the roster. But yeah, any trading of draft picks is not a thing I want to do. I think we've used up our margin in that regard.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, neither Abramov or Davidson made the roster in Ottawa. There is that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't understand your first question on who do they replace. They're "replacing" the group thats in the NHL and about to graduate (So Texier, Bemstrom, Milano, Gavrikov, Elvis). The new group to come would be Foudy, Peeke, VV, and Tarasov. Noticable lack of forwards (because I'm unsure on Foudy), and only one defenseman. Luckily our NHL core group is really young, because our prospect base is about to become bare in the next 2-3 years.

Your absolute confidence in mediocrity is impressively resolute.

What were Texier and Bemstrom a year ago? Texier was valued about where Foudy is now, and Bemstrom wasn't even on the radar, perhaps a bit above where we now rank Karlberg. If we had a similar debate a year ago his name would not have been mentioned. I think it's unlikely we'll have similar good fortune with the next cohort, but we don't know. Could be that we get NHLers out of Hjorth or Marchenko, or neither, who knows. Being unsure of what the results will be is not the same as "Noticable lack of forwards", it's just how prospects work unless you're drafting at the top.

My point about "replacements" is that what ultimately matters is the NHL roster. And if the NHL roster is overfull of young players such that the next group of prospects is blocked, then any shortfall in the number of prospects is just an abstract issue. Hockey's Future would talk about such a situation in stark terms, but how important it may be depends on what's going on with the NHL roster.

A thin prospect pool is an issue for two reasons: one, it indicates a lack of quality players ready to step in for aging/departing guys; and two, it indicates a lack of trade currency.

I'm in agreement. I'd modify the first reason why a thin prospect pool might matter. It could mean a lack of quality players ready to step in for aging/departing guys - though for us there isn't likely to be a shortage of NHL talent, rather a surplus. It also means, and more relevant to us I think, that there's also just fewer lottery tickets for getting a late blooming superstar. I'm not the least bit worried about any quantity issue developing for top 9 F or top 4D talent, but the team needs star players. Imagine getting the next Mark Stone, a 6th rounder who didn't become an NHL regular until age 23.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Your absolute confidence in mediocrity is impressively resolute.

What were Texier and Bemstrom a year ago? Texier was valued about where Foudy is now, and Bemstrom wasn't even on the radar, perhaps a bit above where we now rank Karlberg. If we had a similar debate a year ago his name would not have been mentioned. I think it's unlikely we'll have similar good fortune with the next cohort, but we don't know. Could be that we get NHLers out of Hjorth or Marchenko, or neither, who knows. Being unsure of what the results will be is not the same as "Noticable lack of forwards", it's just how prospects work unless you're drafting at the top.

My point about "replacements" is that what ultimately matters is the NHL roster. And if the NHL roster is overfull of young players such that the next group of prospects is blocked, then any shortfall in the number of prospects is just an abstract issue. Hockey's Future would talk about such a situation in stark terms, but how important it may be depends on what's going on with the NHL roster.

Firstly, stop with that over-dramatic commentary. I said the lack of prospects isn't as big of a concern due to the age of the NHL roster. Is it a concern? Yes, because a lack of prospect pool means we can't really pull of trades since we don't really have picks either.

Texier was near the top or at the very top of our prospect pool at the start of last year. I had him personally at #5 because of his injury history. I had Bemstrom at 14, but as a potential riser. A lot of people wouldn't say Elvis or Gavrikov were prospects anymore due to their age, so if you want to go by that, he was 3rd.

Most of the prospects you mentioned (Hjorth, Voronkov, Karlsberg, Marchenko, I'll even put in TFW) are all question marks. Yes, question marks can go positively as well as negatively. I still don't know whether or not to believe in Foudy. So it goes. Almost every prospect pool has its share of questions and almost all players have their questions, but we're banking on at least a few of these very big question marks to become good. Which is my point about our prospect pool being bare in 2-3 years, because its already shallow and we don't have the picks to replenish it over the next 2 years as of today.

Completely agree with your last paragraph, because it's mostly what I said in the post where I was "confident in mediocrity". Our NHL group is young enough at the most important eras where we can survive a few years of a bad pool as long as we keep those guys.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Yet if you look at the Monsters and the players remaining in Europe there still seems to be a lot of talent...to go along with an NHL roster that has an average age of 25.3 years old. I'm not going to profess CBJ has this amazing pipeline but there are few spots available over the next few years which is ample time to add more talent. I couldn't care less if the cupboard was bare (which it isn't) if the big club is young and has the ability to succeed. We'll see as the season moves on.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Wait, are you saying we're going to be losing Tex, Bem, Elvis, Gav and Milano in the next year or two? When I think of replacement, I think of who on the NHL roster will need replaced and will an upgrade be available. There won't be a lot of turnover on the NHL roster in the coming years unless this team completely shits the bed. I personally don't see it but I do like to be an optimist. If we're talking about replacing prospects, they are all long term propositions and there are no guarantees (see Pool Party)

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Another one for the positive column for Tarasov, 5-3 win with 18 saves. None of the goals on him IMO. Maybe one could've been had.
This time he had the benefit of the team actually showing up in the goalscoring department.

His stats so far, and like I said above, his stats are worse than his performance:
5G 2W 3L 16GA 3,21GAA 88,41S%

Keep in mind 2 of the games were complete shitshows from the team

Ässät are 5th in the league 9 to 10 games into the season, which is a big creamy fluffy wonderful surprise after their historically bad last season (really, no team in Liiga history have had as bad a season). Good times for an Ässät fan.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
How about Yegor Sokolov. The big kid from the Q that was at Traverse City and training camp? He is 3rd in the league in scoring. Possible FA signing?

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
Wasn't sure about that. I think he was on the pre-draft ranking as far back as 2018. Does anyone know the cut off birthday for draft eligibility? Looks like a late bloomer for sure.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wasn't sure about that. I think he was on the pre-draft ranking as far back as 2018. Does anyone know the cut off birthday for draft eligibility? Looks like a late bloomer for sure.
Per Wikipedia, North American players ages 18-20 and international players ages 18-21. I'm not sure which category Sokolov is in since he's been playing for Cape Breton, but either way, he's only 19 and his birthday isn't until next June, so one can reasonably conclude that he's draft eligible.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Per Wikipedia, North American players ages 18-20 and international players ages 18-21. I'm not sure which category Sokolov is in since he's been playing for Cape Breton, but either way, he's only 19 and his birthday isn't until next June, so one can reasonably conclude that he's draft eligible.

Correct me if wrong - I was thinking that you could sign players if they went undrafted the first time. And I thought the point of drafting overagers is to get the exclusive rights. Like we could have signed Nuti instead of drafting him, but we didn't want to risk it. Probably wrong.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Correct me if wrong - I was thinking that you could sign players if they went undrafted the first time. And I thought the point of drafting overagers is to get the exclusive rights. Like we could have signed Nuti instead of drafting him, but we didn't want to risk it. Probably wrong.

Its what i always understood and didnt we do it to guys like Sherwood and Scott?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's some sort of timing thing involved that I don't quite remember. Like, you can do it shortly after the draft for a limited time or something, IIRC.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free
Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

Looks to me he is eligible for drafting next year