Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark U20 played a pre WC exhibition match against Frölunda U20 today.
Winning 3-2 after SO.

Nikolaj Ehlers (Halifax Mooseheads), Oliver Bjorkstrand, and Mads Eller (Edmonton Oil kings) were all fatigued after jetlag. Ehlers sat the game, and Bjorkstrand/Eller both played 2 periods each.

Bjorkstrand looked tired, but still managed to score 1 of the Danish goals in regulation.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 1m
Oscar Dansk made 18 saves in a 9-1 Otters win his 15th of the season #CBJ

Gianluca Curcuruto had a goal(3) and a assist(7) in a 6-2 Whalers loss and needed helped off the ice in the 3rd (acc to @WhalersOTM) #CBJ

CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 2m
Daniel Zaar scored his 9th goal of the season in a 6-2 Rögle loss #CBJ

CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 2m
Oliver Bjorkstrand had a goal in a 3-2 Denmark win over the Frölunda J20 team in a pre WJC Div 1 group A game #CBJ (cc @SSepich)

Oscar Dansk last 5 games 5-0 .80GAA .969Sv% 2SO #CBJ

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Oliver Bjorkstrand scored the first goal in Denmarks 3-1 win over Austria U20 in the first game for Denmark at the WJC Div. 1a.

It was a great goal, and Oliver had a great game.. Really a great puckhandler and deker. He was all over the place with Nik Ehlers.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

bizzz*

Oliver Bjorkstrand scored the first goal in Denmarks 3-1 win over Austria U20 in the first game for Denmark at the WJC Div. 1a.

It was a great goal, and Oliver had a great game.. Really a great puckhandler and deker. He was all over the place with Nik Ehlers.

scoring against Austria is like scoring against Australia with Patrick Roy in net:) I watched the Belarus-Austria game today... Shots in the 1st period were 22:0 in favor of Belarus. Score? 0:0 :D
I hope Bjorkstrand will be held scoreless in only one game this season. And that game is next Wednesday.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
scoring against Austria is like scoring against Australia with Patrick Roy in net:) I watched the Belarus-Austria game today... Shots in the 1st period were 22:0 in favor of Belarus. Score? 0:0 :D
I hope Bjorkstrand will be held scoreless in only one game this season. And that game is next Wednesday.

Pretty much sums it up :D

Well I hope he does.. Denmark are up 3-0 against Poland right now, and Oliver has been held pointless so far. But he has still been one of, if not the best on the ice.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Bjorkstrand and the rest of Denmark has secured promotion for next years elite WJC20 in Canada after a crushing 4-1 victory against Latvia earlier today.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Bjorkstrand and the rest of Denmark has secured promotion for next years elite WJC20 in Canada after a crushing 4-1 victory against Latvia earlier today.

To add. Oliver has been outstanding. A real leader despite his young age.

Him and Ehlers had chemistry when playing together.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Midway Point: Catching up on the Jackets' top prospects

Entering the Christmas break for various hockey leagues around the world, the Columbus Blue Jackets' farm system has seemingly never looked better. With depth at every position, there is certainly plenty to be excited about for the future as the Jackets continue to grow and develop into one of the top young teams in the NHL. Here is a look at some of the names (not with the big club or in the AHL) you'll want/need to get to know in the near future:

Goalies

Oskar Dansk, Erie Otters (OHL); selected 2nd round (31st overall), 2012 NHL Draft
What a difference a year has made for Oskar Dansk. After playing on one of the worst teams in the CHL last year, Dansk and the Erie Otters have come out a year older, wiser, and outright better. Dansk currently boasts a sparkling 2.17 GAA, (1st in the OHL), a 91.9% save percentage (4th), 16 wins (t-3rd), and a league best 4 shutouts. Oskar's big frame makes it easy for him to fill up plenty of the net, and his overall positioning and rebound control has been markedly better than last year. Dansk and the Otters currently lead the entire OHL with 59 points, and should absolutely be considered a contender to play for junior hockey's biggest prize, the Memorial Cup, in May.

Anton Forsberg, MoDo (SEL), 7th round (188th overall), 2011 NHL Draft
In Anton Forsberg, the Blue Jackets may have found themselves a major steal in the last round of the 2011 draft. So far this year, Forsberg has a 2.46 GAA, to go along with a sparkling 92.0% save percentage, in 15 games. Another big body in net, Forsberg may be the most polished goaltending prospect the Blue Jackets have ever had, and could battle for a spot with the big club as early as next year. With the luxury of allowing him to develop slowly, there is no real rush for the Jackets however, and Forsberg will likely be given time to adjust to North America in the AHL, should he choose to make the jump next year.

Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit (FIN), 3rd round (62nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft
The second goalie taken by the Jackets two summers ago, Joonas Korpisalo was thought at the time to be a bit more of a long-term project. So far this year, in limited time with Jokerit, Korpisalo has certainly looked a bit out of his element, showing just an 81.3% save percentage in his one appearance with the team. Certainly, I feel that Korpisalo could do himself a big favor by coming to North America and playing hockey against his peers; however I cannot blame him for not wanting to relocate to Prince George, BC. Look for Korpisalo to remain in Europe for the foreseeable future, as he attempts to hone his game and develop into (what the Jackets hope) could be another blue chip prospect.

Defensemen

Dillon Heatherington, Swift Current Broncos (WHL), 2nd round (50th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Dillon Heatherington has become one of the top two-way defensemen in the entire WHL; when paired with Julius Honka, they make up perhaps the best duo in the league. At 6'4" and right around 200 pounds, Heatherington can match physically up against any forward in the league; but the thing that surprises me the most with him is his skating ability. For a big guy, he has no problem keeping pace with smaller, quicker players, and uses his size and reach to separate them from the puck. With improvements across the board on the offensive side of the puck, Heatherington is rapidly turning into a gem on the blueline. He currently has 2 goals, 23 assists, and 37 penalty minutes to go along with a solid +13 rating in 36 games. Heatherington is another player that the Jackets have plenty of time with; and should be at least 18 months away from pro hockey.

Mike Reilly, Minnesota Golden Gophers (NCAA), 4th round (98th overall), 2012 NHL Draft
Perhaps the most offensively gifted defenseman in the Columbus system, Mike Reilly is off to a very good start during his sophomore year at Minnesota. With 7 goals and 11 points through 16 games, Reilly has used his excellent skating and instincts to become a young leader for the Gophers. Should Reilly get stronger and improve his all-around game, the Jackets may have a potential future powerplay quarterback.

Gianluca Curcuruto, Plymouth Whalers (OHL), 7th round (182nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft
In the last round of the 2012 draft, the Jackets took a chance on a Gianluca Curcuruto, a player once considered a first round talent. Despite a poor showing in his draft year, Curcuruto seemed to be heading in the right direction last year after a trade to Plymouth. So far this season, he has headed in the other direction; currently boasting 3 goals, 11 assists, and a -15 rating in 24 OHL games. For a guy who has to be an offensive weapong to be a contributor, those numbers simply aren't getting it done. As it stands, Curcuruto has a big shot and certainly still has plenty of good hockey ahead of him, but he'll have to do it fast as he's in danger of being surpassed by younger (and older) players on the team's prospect depth chart.

Forwards

Alexander Wennberg, C, Frolunda (SEL), 1st round (14th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Wennberg has certainly been good for Frolunda this year, currently sitting 2nd on the team with 12 goals in 31 games. Surprisingly, for a player with his talent, Wennberg has only added 3 assists; and sits 5th on the team in scoring. Still, his numbers are very respectable for a young player in the league, and his two-way game is only getting better as the season wears on. Look for his role to expand as the year carries on; at this point he should be considered the top forward prospect in the system.

Daniel Zaar, LW, Rogle (Allsvenskan), 6th round (152nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft
Daniel Zaar's 9 goals and 16 points in the Allsvenskan don't immediately stand out as dominant; but Zaar has improved his all-around game and continues to develop as a long-term project at forward. Zaar has an absolute cannon of a shot and could become a goal scorer in North America. Another guy who should see an expanded role as the season goes on, Zaar remains an intriguing prospect for the long-term.

Markus Soberg, RW, Frolunda (Swe J20), 6th round (165th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Already a bit of a superstar in his home country (Norway), Soberg is exactly what you expect from a late round pick; a guy that has HUGE potential, but a ton of question marks. This year in Sweden, Soberg has an impressive 16 goals and 26 points in 27 games; to go along with 28 penalty minutes and a +10 rating. Shifty, quick, very skilled, and surprisingly feisty, Soberg is rapidly becoming one of my favorite prospects, and is a guy we should all be keeping an eye on. Could be the kind of hidden gem that only the best scouting staffs seem to find.

Marko Dano, C, HC Slovan Bratislava (KHL), 1st round (27th overall), 2013 NHL Draft

Considered by many to be an off the board pick at 27, Marko Dano may actually be fairly close to a professional career in North America. Already with a well-rounded game and competing against men in Russia, the stocky forward projects as a middle-6 forward in the NHL. Gritty, hard to knock off the puck, and with underrated skills, Dano may remind many of a young TJ Oshie. Currently, he has 2 goals and 2 assists in 35 games, along with 34 penalty minutes and a -11 rating. I fully expect Dano to play in the AHL next year, hopefully making a smooth adjustment to the North American game.

Oliver Bjorkstrand, RW, Portland Winterhawks (WHL), 3rd round (89th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
One of the highest scoring forwards in the system, Bjorkstrand plays for a highly talented Portland team that should compete for the WHL title again this year. With 25 goals, 31 assists, 14 penalty minutes, and a +21 rating in 32 games, Bjorkstrand is definitely in the mix for a WHL scoring title this year. Great hands, sneaky timing/vision, an underrated shot, and solid passing skills. Really, a polished offensive player that just needs to get stronger and work on consistency and all-around play. The biggest knock I have on Bjorkstrand is that he has a tendency to disappear at times. I would love to see him dominate more games, which he is absolutely capable of doing.

Josh Anderson, RW, London Knights (OHL), 4th round (95th overall), 2012 NHL Draft
Size and physical play - exactly what the Jackets need in the system - and exactly what Josh Anderson brings to the table. While 50 penalty minutes in 31 games should be no surprise; 16 goals and 13 assists may be a surprise to many. Anderson has turned into one of the top power forwards in the OHL, and projects as a third/fourth line banger in the NHL, should he develop properly. Plays a "CBJ" kind of game, and could surprise many in battling for a spot with the big club as early as next year.

Nick Moutrey, RW, Saginaw Spirit (OHL), 4th round (105th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Following a very similar path to Anderson is Nick Moutrey, who was even selected in the same range as Anderson at the draft. Another big winger size and skill, Moutrey's 8 goals and 11 assists in 34 games doesn't exactly stand out, but is far from a disappointment in my mind. Moutrey may be a bit more of a long-term prospect than Anderson, however he doesn't play on as strong a team and may have better numbers if that were the case. At best, Moutrey's ceiling is very comparable to that of Anderson.

Kerby Rychel, LW, Guelph Storm (OHL), 1st round (19th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Through 30 OHL games this year, Rychel has done a nice job of staying out of the penalty box while keeping up his rough and tumble style, while continuing to rack up the goals for both the Windsor Spitfires and, after a recent trade, the Guelph Storm. Rychel has 17 goals and 44 points thus far, to go along with 17 penalty minutes and a +15 rating. Comparisons vary depending on who you talk to, but one name I like is John LeClair. Rychel goes to the hard areas and scores the ugly goals; while also being a leader on the ice and doing whatever it takes to help his team win, be it a big hit, a fight, or a shot block. Personality question marks aside, this is one of the top power forward prospects in the world.

Peter Quenneville, C, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL), 7th round (195th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
After just 5 NCAA games (and 4 assists) with Quinnipiac, Quenneville bolted to the WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings, where he has enjoyed mixed success with a run and gun style team. With 8 goals and 7 assists in 17 games, Quenneville has 2 penalty minutes and a -11 rating. The smallish center will have to keep up his offensive numbers to keep himself in the mix; and will need to do so while maturing his all-around game. As of now, he has to be considered a long term prospect for the Jackets; and may seriously benefit from a full training camp and season in the WHL next year.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
And I realize that I didn't get everyone in there, as I sorta ran out of time ... if there's someone I miss that you'd like me to put together a blurb on, feel free to let me know.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good write ups. I have a question on the Rychel blurb about some personality question marks, what are they reported as? Just curius

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Good write ups. I have a question on the Rychel blurb about some personality question marks, what are they reported as? Just curius

Mostly pre-draft blotter, nothing I would be terribly concerned about. I've heard of similar concerns with other guys that have gone on to be unmerited. Not knowing the kid personally, I go with the "I'll believe it when I see it" theory.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Entering the Christmas break for various hockey leagues around the world, the Columbus Blue Jackets' farm system has seemingly never looked better. With depth at every position, there is certainly plenty to be excited about for the future as the Jackets continue to grow and develop into one of the top young teams in the NHL. Here is a look at some of the names (not with the big club or in the AHL) you'll want/need to get to know in the near future:

Goalies

Anton Forsberg, MoDo (SEL), 7th round (188th overall), 2011 NHL Draft
In Anton Forsberg, the Blue Jackets may have found themselves a major steal in the last round of the 2011 draft. So far this year, Forsberg has a 2.46 GAA, to go along with a sparkling 92.0% save percentage, in 15 games. Another big body in net, Forsberg may be the most polished goaltending prospect the Blue Jackets have ever had, and could battle for a spot with the big club as early as next year. With the luxury of allowing him to develop slowly, there is no real rush for the Jackets however, and Forsberg will likely be given time to adjust to North America in the AHL, should he choose to make the jump next year.

If I'm in charge, Forsberg is either in the AHL next year or backing up in the NHL. "Polished" is an excellent descriptor.

Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit (FIN), 3rd round (62nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft
The second goalie taken by the Jackets two summers ago, Joonas Korpisalo was thought at the time to be a bit more of a long-term project. So far this year, in limited time with Jokerit, Korpisalo has certainly looked a bit out of his element, showing just an 81.3% save percentage in his one appearance with the team. Certainly, I feel that Korpisalo could do himself a big favor by coming to North America and playing hockey against his peers; however I cannot blame him for not wanting to relocate to Prince George, BC. Look for Korpisalo to remain in Europe for the foreseeable future, as he attempts to hone his game and develop into (what the Jackets hope) could be another blue chip prospect.

He still is a long-term project. I don't know if he's developed much at all in the last two seasons, to be honest. He's extremely raw and plays more by instinct than by technique, which is fine if you're Dominik Hasek and not fine if you're nearly anyone else.

Forwards

Alexander Wennberg, C, Frolunda (SEL), 1st round (14th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Wennberg has certainly been good for Frolunda this year, currently sitting 2nd on the team with 12 goals in 31 games. Surprisingly, for a player with his talent, Wennberg has only added 3 assists; and sits 5th on the team in scoring. Still, his numbers are very respectable for a young player in the league, and his two-way game is only getting better as the season wears on. Look for his role to expand as the year carries on; at this point he should be considered the top forward prospect in the system.

He's also a very smart player in both ends of the ice, who should only continue to blossom as he demonstrates a greater capacity to handle various situations.

Daniel Zaar, LW, Rogle (Allsvenskan), 6th round (152nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft
Daniel Zaar's 9 goals and 16 points in the Allsvenskan don't immediately stand out as dominant; but Zaar has improved his all-around game and continues to develop as a long-term project at forward. Zaar has an absolute cannon of a shot and could become a goal scorer in North America. Another guy who should see an expanded role as the season goes on, Zaar remains an intriguing prospect for the long-term.

This kid has tremendous puck skills in all facets. He's an excellent stickhandler, his release and accuracy are phenomenal, and the puck just seems to stick to him.

With the puck, he reminds me of a gangly Geoff Sanderson.

Markus Soberg, RW, Frolunda (Swe J20), 6th round (165th overall), 2013 NHL Draft
Already a bit of a superstar in his home country (Norway), Soberg is exactly what you expect from a late round pick; a guy that has HUGE potential, but a ton of question marks. This year in Sweden, Soberg has an impressive 16 goals and 26 points in 27 games; to go along with 28 penalty minutes and a +10 rating. Shifty, quick, very skilled, and surprisingly feisty, Soberg is rapidly becoming one of my favorite prospects, and is a guy we should all be keeping an eye on. Could be the kind of hidden gem that only the best scouting staffs seem to find.

I keep meaning to see him, but haven't found a way. I'm sure I'll post more as the season progresses.

Marko Dano, C, HC Slovan Bratislava (KHL), 1st round (27th overall), 2013 NHL Draft

Considered by many to be an off the board pick at 27, Marko Dano may actually be fairly close to a professional career in North America. Already with a well-rounded game and competing against men in Russia, the stocky forward projects as a middle-6 forward in the NHL. Gritty, hard to knock off the puck, and with underrated skills, Dano may remind many of a young TJ Oshie. Currently, he has 2 goals and 2 assists in 35 games, along with 34 penalty minutes and a -11 rating. I fully expect Dano to play in the AHL next year, hopefully making a smooth adjustment to the North American game.

It's tough to get much of anything from seeing Slovan this year. It's not a good team, and is disjointed to boot. Another guy I'm sure I'll see more of later on.

I should be able to supplement the European reports down the road. I don't think an OHL trip is going to happen this year, but if it does, I'll be able to do the same there.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
Mostly pre-draft blotter, nothing I would be terribly concerned about. I've heard of similar concerns with other guys that have gone on to be unmerited. Not knowing the kid personally, I go with the "I'll believe it when I see it" theory.

Phil Kessel suffered from this during his draft year, although I don't believe anyone compared Kerby Rychel and Kessel as prospects in any manner.

I maintain that this is what people look at when they say that the draft is a crapshoot. The farm boy who grew up in near-poverty may suddenly become lazy after signing an NHL contract, or the city boy with a big head may suddenly develop a sense of responsibility after signing. I once blew up on an overage kid for gaining a bunch of weight after suffering a season-ending injury. It was a real bad situation all around - his agent dropped him since he was hurt and his NHL chances looked non-existent - but he was one of these character types that there aren't supposed to be any questions about, and he got hurt and faced some adversity and suddenly he's 30 pounds heavier in four months. On the other hand was the lazy kid whose father died suddenly, and the kid became one of those character guys nearly overnight.

Weird stuff happens.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If I'm in charge, Forsberg is either in the AHL next year or backing up in the NHL. "Polished" is an excellent descriptor.

He still is a long-term project. I don't know if he's developed much at all in the last two seasons, to be honest. He's extremely raw and plays more by instinct than by technique, which is fine if you're Dominik Hasek and not fine if you're nearly anyone else.

Yeah, but what do you know about goalies? :laugh:

Seriously I enjoy reading your comments; looking forward to more pre-draft insight because it won't be long before the top 5 or 6 prospects become a major topic of discussion round these parts.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Thanks so much for all the insights. Difficult to follow all of these players as much as I'd like to. I've taken up a heavy interest in following Oliver Bjorkstrand this year and he's a guy who excites me, but it's nice to hear about how the other guy are progressing.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Wennberg is wearing the C and centering the top line against USA right now. We'll see if that's still his C and his position when Filip Forsberg and Elias Lindholm arrive to the big tournament.

Edit: The hands of Wennberg immediately sets up 1-0 for Sweden.

Edit2: Wennberg makes it 2-0 just before the first period is over.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Wennberg is wearing the C and centering the top line against USA right now. We'll see if that's still his C and his position when Filip Forsberg and Elias Lindholm arrive to the big tournament.

Edit: The hands of Wennberg immediately sets up 1-0 for Sweden.

Edit2: Wennberg makes it 2-0 just before the first period is over.

4-1 in the third, with Dansk in goal for Sweden. Wennberg with an assist on the fourth goal.

Edit: 4-2 final.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I guess Rychel got a game misconduct.

Also Dano had 2 goals and an assist

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Palinka, thanks for the European insight! I see some of the games, but certainly not in person, so it's harder to get a full review on those kids. I do the best with what I have.

Thanks for the nice comments folks, makes it worthwhile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad