Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
you're quick haha. As a leaf fan, I follow Guelph pretty close with Matt Finn playing there and I really like the addition this will give an already solid Guelph lineup. Should be one of the top teams contending to make the memorial cup from the OHL.

Just browsed at the standings. Why did Windsor do this deal? Aren't they in contention?

natephil

Feb 13, 2010
Just browsed at the standings. Why did Windsor do this deal? Aren't they in contention?

From what I know of Windsor (although, don't follow them too closely), they have a good core of 96/97 born players, leaving them as a team that should be better suited to contend in the next couple years. Their lineup seems fairly young, along with the addition of a few players that should have helped them make the playoffs this year, but likely not contend (these players being Rychel, Ebert, Koekkoek and Vail). They maybe felt using these assets and build for the coming years was a better option than a first round exit. I could see them looking into trading the remaining players I mentioned come deadline as well for prospects and picks like this trade. 8 draft picks is crazy haha

This is purely speculation from me. Don't take what I have to say too serious haha. It's just an opinion

Jackets440

May 22, 2013
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here it goes. Does anyone know if the World Juniors will be televised or if i can stream them from somewhere online? Thanks!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here it goes. Does anyone know if the World Juniors will be televised or if i can stream them from somewhere online? Thanks!

If you have NHL Network, they showed all the games on there. That's all I know.

We should have alot of prospects in the tourny

Anderson and Rychel (CAN)
Wennberg, Zaar, and Dansk (SWE)
Dano (SVK)
Korpisalo (FIN)
Bjorkstrand (DEN?)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
there are usually streams...check with the prospects board on the main...they usually post them there..

bizzz*

Dano (SVK)
Korpisalo (FIN)
Bjorkstrand (DEN?)

Denmark didn't make it. They lost to Norway. Which means Soberg should be there.

Jackets440

May 22, 2013

Dano (SVK)
Korpisalo (FIN)
Bjorkstrand (DEN?)

Cool, thanks! I havent ever really followed it before, but can you or anyone who understands how the tourney works explain the different divisions and what they mean?

bizzz*

Wonderful, thanks. So if im reading correctly there's a bunch of different tournaments, and the worst team in each division moves down the next year, and the best team moves up?

That's correct. Last year Belarus, Denmark and Norway were the main contenders for the only open spot in the Top Division. Norway won and took Latvia's place.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Rivalry games don't matter. That kind of emotional outburst is embarrassing. He should be suspended for at least one game. :sarcasm:

:facepalm: Yes, that's exactly what I said. :dunce:

On to a relevant note:

Have to think that, of the forwards, Canada continues to put a conscious effort towards physicality ... especially with a Sutter behind the bench. What that means for the Jacket prospects (Rychel, Anderson) is that they have a pretty darn good shot at making the final cut. There are two guys who are basically locks to make the team, in Drouin and Hudon ... both guys made the team last year (though Hudon didn't play in the tournament due to injury); and should see ice time in key offensive situations. After that, you have 10 spots between 13 guys. I don't see Canada bringing along both Taylor Leier and Nic Petan; as they are very similar players, and guys that you don't necessarily need two of. I would also think it difficult for the Canadian brass to include both Connor McDavid and Sam Reinhart, but those guys are skilled enough that it's very possible. Felix Girard plays the game right on the edge - but will he beat out some of the bigger, equally physical guys, to make the team?

Defensively, two guys have to miss the cut. Griffin Reinhart and Matt Dumba are likely locks to make the team; Reinhart being the only returning blueliner from last year's team. Aaron Ekblad may be a year too young for this team; but he's a wild card because of the raw skill that he provides. Derick Pouliot and Josh Morrissey play very similar games, and either guy could be the team's powerplay quarterback. Knowing their defensive zone question marks, I have to believe that only one of the two makes the team - especially if a guy like Aaron Ekblad is brought along. Of note: I am absolutely stunned that Ryan Pulock didn't even get invited to the camp. The fact that he's one of only three right handed guys coming to camp may bode very well for Ekblad; which only exacerbates my feelings towards leaving Pulock out.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes down ... I think this lineup has the potential to have more skill than in year's past, while also having the size and physical dominance.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Another 3 points 1g 2a and a 1st star for Oliver in Portlands 6-3 W over Everett.

Oliver now has 54pts 24g and 30a and is +23 with 6PPG and a leading 3SHG.
He is 3rd in the WHL.

Regarding Oliver and the WJC, our U20 team lost to Norway in the last
match and did not make it. But will surely move up this year as they are going to use Oliver and Nikolaj Ehlers 2014 prospect.

Our U18 team are in the A group, but Oliver will JUST be too old to help them.. Sad, since he helped them move up to the A group by, this time beating Norway...

Yes - It is ALWAYS between Denmark and Norway at this level :D

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
:facepalm: Yes, that's exactly what I said. :dunce:

I was neither quoting you nor talking to/about you. For anybody who followed the discussions in the "other sports" thread, I thought it would be funny to flip a complete 180 in what I was saying. Hence the sarcastic smiley.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Dano (SVK)
Korpisalo (FIN)
Bjorkstrand (DEN?)

CBJProspects believes that Korpisalo is still injured...so his participation is still in doubt...

maybe one of the Finnish posters may be able to confirm

bizzz*

Regarding Oliver and the WJC, our U20 team lost to Norway in the last match and did not make it. But will surely move up this year as they are going to use Oliver and Nikolaj Ehlers 2014 prospect.
I hope Denmark won't move up. I'm from Belarus, you know :)... Even though the idiots ruling hockey in the country. Last year they paid millions to Evander Kane, Pavelski and Rinne, but don't have money for youth hockey development. 25 years ago we had 1 hockey rink and were able to produce high quality players like Sergei Fedorov and another 7 NHLers. Now they give citizenship to players like Geoff Platt and just give up on guys like Alex Galchenyuk, who's father played for Belarus. Gally's grandparents still live in Minsk and they didn't even offer him Belarusian citizenship. But I still hope the new generation will do well.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I hope Denmark won't move up. I'm from Belarus, you know :)... Even though the idiots ruling hockey in the country. Last year they paid millions to Evander Kane, Pavelski and Rinne, but don't have money for youth hockey development. 25 years ago we had 1 hockey rink and were able to produce high quality players like Sergei Fedorov and another 7 NHLers. Now they give citizenship to players like Geoff Platt and just give up on guys like Alex Galchenyuk, who's father played for Belarus. Gally's grandparents still live in Minsk and they didn't even offer him Belarusian citizenship. But I still hope the new generation will do well.

These past 25 years have seen so many changes and complications in that part of the world! It will probably take that many years and more to see how it'll all shake out, in the end.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Ofc. I understand..

But yeah, the Belarusian hockey system seems to be at a halt.. I thought your president loved Hockey? Or was that Tennis?

We have a Tennis player in Denmark, Caroline Wozniacki, who was critisized heavily for playing a exhibition match for him and his parliament together with another player.

But we sort of have the same problem in Denmark.. The state does NOTHING to promote Hockey.. If it werent for people using their own time and money to promote the game.. It would not.. Still we have far too few rinks.. Most clubs have waiting lists for kids to join.. Some even for years.. A lot of parents write up their child at or before birth..

I am REALLY tired of the monopoly soccer enjoys in Europe.. Really loosing my love for the game anyway.. Soccer is all about money, girls, fame and whiney childish players with no grip on reality.. Id take Icehockey any day off the week..

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It took forever for Kirill Starkov to get his Danish citizenship. He didn't get any special exemptions. Since he had spent so much time living in Sweden playing hockey as a teen, he didn't have the required time living in Denmark, even though he had lived there since he was 3. With only a Russian passport, his Swedish team Frölunda wouldn't take him with them when they played in Russia because he could have been arrested for dodging Russian military service.

Had Denmark gotten their act together and gotten Starkov citizenship earlier, he could have been on their U18 and U20 teams.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It took forever for Kirill Starkov to get his Danish citizenship. He didn't get any special exemptions. Since he had spent so much time living in Sweden playing hockey as a teen, he didn't have the required time living in Denmark, even though he had lived there since he was 3. With only a Russian passport, his Swedish team Frölunda wouldn't take him with them when they played in Russia because he could have been arrested for dodging Russian military service.

Had Denmark gotten their act together and gotten Starkov citizenship earlier, he could have been on their U18 and U20 teams.

This is a problem in Denmark across ALL sports.. We have NO clue how to integrate immigrants... We have VERY few succesfull immigrant sportsman...

All our neighbours seem to do well in this department, and do not mind giving citizenships to great prospects...

We have soooo many young soccer players for example, who are not Danish by birth, but would LOVE to play for Denmark. The Coaches would also love for them to play.. But the government wont give them anything.. Nothing, NADA. :shakehead

Oh and back on Topic:

Oliver has a Vine profile with a lot of funny videos of him and Schoenborn among others. Looks like they are pretty bored up in Portland :D

http://seenive.com/u/930370281271341056

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Dansk and Wennberg were named to the Swedish WJC team. No Zaar. 2014 top prospect William Nylander Altelius was also excluded.

I'm annoyed undrafted Lucas Wallmark was picked over Zaar. Wallmark is flashy, but his skating still is horrible.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Dansk and Wennberg were named to the Swedish WJC team. No Zaar. 2014 top prospect William Nylander Altelius was also excluded.

I'm annoyed undrafted Lucas Wallmark was picked over Zaar. Wallmark is flashy, but his skating still is horrible.

Is Dansk set to be #1? I see the 2 guys ahead of him graduated, has anybody younger surpassed him?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is Dansk set to be #1? I see the 2 guys ahead of him graduated, has anybody younger surpassed him?

I don't think anyone has passed Dansk to be the starter, but we'll have to see how Dansk plays following coming back from his injury and then adjusting to the international size rink. Marcus Högberg and Jonas Johansson are the other two goalies. Högberg is likely the backup and plays in Allsvenskan. Johansson is in his draft year and has played very well in the J20 SuperElit league. They both could challenge Dansk, but it's his job to lose.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't think anyone has passed Dansk to be the starter, but we'll have to see how Dansk plays following coming back from his injury and then adjusting to the international size rink. Marcus Högberg and Jonas Johansson are the other two goalies. Högberg is likely the backup and plays in Allsvenskan. Johansson is in his draft year and has played very well in the J20 SuperElit league. They both could challenge Dansk, but it's his job to lose.

Thanks for the updates, JFW ... great to see some of our top prospects at the tournament!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->