Proposal: CBJ package for your #4 who can play right side

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't see us making any long term deals at all this year. Not even one for a extra D we have Kukan and Prout who are IMO better then our current #6 anyways.

Now if we can use a F we don't want to lose but we will protect like Jenner that has value + a 1st to make sure it's a have to protect guy it could help us.

My 2 are Tyler Johnson or Stepan and would involve Jenner and a 1st. Then they take jenners spot and we lose Karlson and Sedlak replaces him and we have bjorkstrand after finally being with us a full summer ready to replace the wing.

Any TB or NYR fans want to talk about a Jenner + 1ST trade for Stepan or Johnson?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I... that... what? :whaaa?:

What is this even getting at? I'm honestly lost here. I mean, are you operating under some assumption that Murray will somehow forcibly displace JJ as #2LHD later on in the year? 'Cause even presuming such a scenario (currently looking unlikely BECAUSE of that chemistry and seeing as though JJ is arguably playing the best hockey of his career), JJ can play on the right just fine (and in fact did just that earlier this year when we were trying to force a Murray-Savard pairing and watching it fall flat on its face).

This just seems completely absurd. Your conclusions do not appear to follow from your premises and said premises appear to be based on nonsense to begin with. It reads to me like someone saying "Saad is going to only score 20 points this year, therefore we need a new center." It's just bizarre. :help:

Why are we dropping a very good #4 down to the bottom pair to spend assets on another #4 that will impact the expansion draft? What's wrong with the D as is right now. If anything CBJ will want a bottom pair depth guy for a playoff run. Expiring contract with experience.

Don't get this one. Keep the assets, keep the growth.

Edler please.

Yes I am. Murray > Johnson and that is a fact. The reason I made the trade was to keep Savard and Johnson on the third pair together while getting Murray a good D partner. Maybe Shattenkirk or a player of his caliber and contract situation. Don't see how it really matters with the expansion draft as we are going to lose a player no matter what. If they take Johnson then okay now we have a guy we can maybe resign as his replacement. Who knows.

I want our team to make a push in the playoffs not just make it. If you are fine with Johnson and Savard playing over Murray and a solid number 4 in the playoffs then I just disagree with your thought process.

Next hypothetical trade I make on an NHL discussion site I will be sure to run by you guys so it doesn't offend you and you can be in your happy places :)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just give the Isles a second and third for Seidenberg.

Was coming to post this. Isles are looking like we will be sellers this year. I'd actually like to re-sign Seidenberg because he's been awesome but if we don't we might as well trade him off for an asset. The way he has played I could see playoff teams all over him. He can play both sides and his game is built for the playoffs. Would also probably be cheaper than other options.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yes I am. Murray > Johnson and that is a fact. The reason I made the trade was to keep Savard and Johnson on the third pair together while getting Murray a good D partner.

Wow, just wow. :laugh:

Savard is dominating right now and you don't even know it. The guys is a ****ing beast.
If you don't believe me, look at some stats.

Leads the team with a +15. (8th among all players in the league).

He's right there with Werenski, 21st in the league among all D in Corsi.

Savard is also 15th in ES P/60.

And JJ is killing it right now too, though of course he isn't going to have pretty stats. Still +13, good for a tie for 11th in the league.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Get Corrado from Toronto, he was a borderline #4 RD before Babcock put his career on ice. Would probably cost a conditional 7th.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes I am. Murray > Johnson and that is a fact.

So far it hasn't been this season, but that's admittedly because JJ is having a career year. Going forward that's almost certainly going to be the case, sure. But, c'mon, let's take advantage of JJ's incredible play while it lasts.

The reason I made the trade was to keep Savard and Johnson on the third pair together

They're not on the third pair. They're on the second pair and they've been absolutely fantastic there. Their usage reflects that; their average TOI isn't that far behind Werenski (all three of those guys are in the 21 minute range; Jones is above 23 minutes, Murray's at 18 minutes, and Nutivaara is getting like less than thirteen minutes or something).

I want our team to make a push in the playoffs not just make it. If you are fine with Johnson and Savard playing over Murray and a solid number 4 in the playoffs then I just disagree with your thought process.

If they keep playing like they are we ought to be fine. Sure, in future years we may want to phase them out, but right now they're at the top of their games and are a large part of why we're doing so well. Why rush?

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Next hypothetical trade I make on an NHL discussion site I will be sure to run by you guys so it doesn't offend you and you can be in your happy places :)

The only way to avoid negative reaction to your hypothetical trades on an NHL discussion site is to not make them. Since this is, you know, an NHL discussion site.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
"The reason I made the trade was to keep Savard and Johnson on the third pair together" should have made clearer. Obviously they are our Second pair right now, but the point was to keep them together, on the third pair, because they have chemistry.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"The reason I made the trade was to keep Savard and Johnson on the third pair together" should have made clearer. Obviously they are our Second pair right now, but the point was to keep them together, on the third pair, because they have chemistry.
That still strikes me as a tad extreme. They're doing incredibly well on the second pair Right Now. Heck, they might be in the conversation for best second pair in the League (I haven't exhaustively surveyed teams so I can't say for sure, but they're good enough to be worth consideration right now). This feels like unnecessary spending.

Is this about trying to force Nutivaara out? 'Cause we've got better use for our assets than that...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Notice how you never see threads saying " our top player for a package of lesser players" ?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
So far it hasn't been this season, but that's admittedly because JJ is having a career year. Going forward that's almost certainly going to be the case, sure. But, c'mon, let's take advantage of JJ's incredible play while it lasts.

You're making too much of who is on what pair Viqsi.

Murray has been better than Johnson this season. The only reason why he's on the 3rd is because he got injured and the Jackets have been winning. That's why Torts hasn't moved Johnson down to the 3rd and Murray back up.

As far as this team's defense goes this year as well as going forward, it's Jones > Werenski > Murray > Savard > Johnson > Nutivaara.

Johnson's play this season has been OK. Not great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad