Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] Keith Kinkaid for 2022 5th round pick

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Would have rather kept Kinkaid for team tank but I guess this is a good way to help him get his career back on track. He was very bad this year, particularly lately but clearly has talent. Keep him as a guy that plays 20 games a year max and I think he can do well. I think Devils want to see more out of Blackwood before they commit to him as a backup next year.

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
Wait, what?

Kinkaid had a great run last season before floundering in the playoffs, but he has not been very good this year. In 41 games, he has a 3.36 GAA and .891 Save %. Schneider has been just as bad (although better recently), but Blackwood has been the best goalie in NJ this season and now they can bring him back up.

NJ is going with Schneider/Blackwood next season, so Kinkaid would not have been resigned. Just glad they got something for him, as there's not going to be much of a trade market for an average backup.

Exactly the correct take. This is about the best return you could have hoped for as a Devils fan - although I agree that the 2020 timeline made me laugh.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We're already playing a bunch of young guys who are learning and developing. I don't see how continuing to subject them to terrible goaltending that outright costs them games helps their confidence or development in any way.
For Blackwood NHL experience is most valuable, when there is some support and success. If he just faces 40+ shots every game and the team loses by 2 or more goals, the effect for his psyche/confidence can be good or bad, as there will consequently also a few softies finding the back of the net.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
For Blackwood NHL experience is most valuable, when there is some support and success. If he just faces 40+ shots every game and the team loses by 2 or more goals, the effect for his psyche/confidence can be good or bad, as there will consequently also a few softies finding the back of the net.
Good thing the Devils only give up 31.6 shots per game, which is middle of the league.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Kinkaid was fine until the devils showed their true colors and how they are an awful team against good competition. They were absolutely smoked in December against playoff teams and it shattered Kinkaid confidence. He has been awful lately but still has ability.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Is the door to the NHL now wide open for Elvis Merzlikins?

- Bob will likely leave
- Kinkaid is average
- Korpisalo is seemingly not being trusted

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Is the door to the NHL now wide open for Elvis Merzlikins?

- Bob will likely leave
- Kinkaid is average
- Korpisalo is seemingly not being trusted

I think so, at least the hope is that Elvis comes in and wins the job and realizes his potential.

I like the Kinkaid deal as it gives you a solid NHL goaltender to fall back on if your 1 and 2 goalie prospects should fizzle out. At 29 years of age, he's also going to be in a position to teach guys like Korpi and Elvis.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think so, at least the hope is that Elvis comes in and wins the job and realizes his potential.

I like the Kinkaid deal as it gives you a solid NHL goaltender to fall back on if your 1 and 2 goalie prospects should fizzle out. At 29 years of age, he's also going to be in a position to teach guys like Korpi and Elvis.
Kinkaid is a UFA, and I'd be a tad surprised if he gets retained after this season. I think it really is just injury insurance.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ

Whats your definition of solid NHL goaltender? His winning percentage has hovered at or slightly better than .500 for most of his NHL career with the exception being the 17-18 season and even that season included his stats have never been anything impressive.I know some people are saying he's better than his numbers due to bad devils defenses but watching his play over the years I don't think he's bonafide starter material but can be a capable backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->