OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It was sad to hear that John Corby of WTVN radio passed away yesterday - he was one of the good guys in the community. RIP
First I'm hearing of it. Sad indeed – I have tons of memories of listening to his show on drives home from school throughout my childhood and teenage years. RIP.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
So. Who’s sick? I have the flu for the second time in three weeks along with what I suspect is a doozy of a sinus infection. Been off work since Tuesday, tried to make it in this morning but my boss kicked me out after 2.5 hours.

My mom drove in from Ohio last night because I’m also supposed to be taking care of all the animals that live above me because their owners are in Florida for a week (it’s a veritable zoo in this house - oh I live in a basement apartment btw) and that’s incredibly overwhelming right now especially given that one of them is like an 18 year old dog who has to go out like every 6 hours and the neighbor is supposed to be helping but he has some developmental problems and it isn’t going so well so it’s all falling to me. Well that was a helluva run on sentence.

Side note: I love dogs, I love other people’s dogs, I really don’t want to have a dog. They are way too much work. Give me cats any day of the week. And this dog is so super sweet, he’s the best good boy. But he’s got such failing health. It’s really time for him to go over the rainbow bridge. I would never in a million years suggest that to his owner of course. But he’s had a great life, he’s blind and deaf and can barely move. It’s time. But I totally realize that’s easier for me to say than her to do. I’m almost at that stage with one of my kitties and it’s going to be so damn hard.

Anyway. Anyone else sick as hell right now?

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Anyway. Anyone else sick as hell right now?
Everyone in my house besides me right now. Even my Mom who came up from Florida Monday has gotten the bug going around. I have also been to Riverside twice this year for my father and grandfather who got the flu. Both of them had the flu shot too.

I'm just waiting for my turn at this point. Being sick sucks and I feel for ya, but being the only healthy person amongst sick people is it's own special kind of hell.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Everyone in my house besides me right now. Even my Mom who came up from Florida Monday has gotten the bug going around. I have also been to Riverside twice this year for my father and grandfather who got the flu. Both of them had the flu shot too.

I'm just waiting for my turn at this point. Being sick sucks and I feel for ya, but being the only healthy person amongst sick people is it's own special kind of hell.
Yeah more than half my office is currently sick, and everyone has had it except my boss. Which is why she sent me home yesterday. I don’t know how she’s managed to avoid it, she must have little immunity fairies flying around her or something.

I got the shot too, I have all but two years. Mostly it’s been successful for me and I never have gotten the side effects of the shot people talk about. This year’s just truly nasty.

Hope all of your family is healthy soon and you don’t catch it!

Reactions: We Want Ten

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've never had the shot and have had the flu only once in my life, moral of the story, skip the shot
I've had the shot every year for the last half decade - it's a condition of my employment (I work for Nationwide Children's Hospital) - and I also have not gotten the flu. Moral of the story: don't blame the vaccine, and don't assume that it makes you invincible.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I've had the shot every year for the last half decade - it's a condition of my employment (I work for Nationwide Children's Hospital) - and I also have not gotten the flu. Moral of the story: don't blame the vaccine, and don't assume that it makes you invincible.
If you live with old or young people, it is wildly irresponsible to not get the flu shot IMO. I posted above that both people I knew who ended up in the hospital with the flu got shots, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. They both are elderly also.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, trying to shake of type C myself which I've fought for about three weeks. Ugh! Had a flu shot but also stuck with an immune system with a weak link which leaves out the welcome mat for type C-like viruses and other sinus problems.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've never had the shot and have had the flu only once in my life, moral of the story, skip the shot

The flu vaccine may prevent/or lessen the symptoms of the flu.
Shoot, I've gotten the vaccine every year for the last 7-8 years and I've never had the flu, and I work in a hospital, taking care of a couple flu patients every single day.

I personally don't recommend skipping the flu shot. I have to get it as part of my employment anyways.

My last final words of advice- The "flu" isn't all about you. The flu is very easily spread (especially this year). The flu is more likely to affect in severity the susceptible parties- Elderly or children. The flu which might make a normally healthy person feel bad for a week or so, could affects the elderly or children much more. Unfortunately, the flu this year has led to a high number of deaths.

Hospitals are now currently having visitor limitations to not only protect an individual, but the community from the flu.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Side note: I love dogs, I love other people’s dogs, I really don’t want to have a dog. They are way too much work. Give me cats any day of the week. And this dog is so super sweet, he’s the best good boy. But he’s got such failing health. It’s really time for him to go over the rainbow bridge. I would never in a million years suggest that to his owner of course. But he’s had a great life, he’s blind and deaf and can barely move. It’s time. But I totally realize that’s easier for me to say than her to do. I’m almost at that stage with one of my kitties and it’s going to be so damn hard.

It's weird, but dogs will let you know when they are ready...as sad it is. He might be waiting for his owner to come home for a good last few days. They are resilient creatures.

Reactions: Socks

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Anyone else see the video of all the cars broken down on 71 from all the pot holes? The pot holes in and around Hilliard in some spots are horrendous.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Got my CT scan back today and I have an 80% tear of my right rotator cuff and damage to the labrum. Going for a cortisone shot next week and if that doesn't work, surgery.

BTW, I am really impressed by the care I've received from Orthopedic One. I called today to see if I could get the test results prior to my visit next week. I wanted to know if I was definitely needing surgery, I have travel scheduled and really wanted to have as much notice as possible if I had to change it. I left a message on the nurse's voice mail.

30 minutes later, the DOCTOR called me back himself. Asked if I had questions. He said that if I wanted surgery, he's operated on many smaller tears. It was up to me if I wanted to try the cortisone shot first, so that's what we are doing. Told me to call him back if it got worse prior to the appointment.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Got my CT scan back today and I have an 80% tear of my right rotator cuff and damage to the labrum. Going for a cortisone shot next week and if that doesn't work, surgery.

BTW, I am really impressed by the care I've received from Orthopedic One. I called today to see if I could get the test results prior to my visit next week. I wanted to know if I was definitely needing surgery, I have travel scheduled and really wanted to have as much notice as possible if I had to change it. I left a message on the nurse's voice mail.

30 minutes later, the DOCTOR called me back himself. Asked if I had questions. He said that if I wanted surgery, he's operated on many smaller tears. It was up to me if I wanted to try the cortisone shot first, so that's what we are doing. Told me to call him back if it got worse prior to the appointment.

Ouch, what did you do? When I slipped on the ice a few months ago, I was worried I injured my rotator cuff or had a labrum tear. As it turns out, it was a Grade II shoulder sprain. All good now.

Hopefully you are able to heal up without having to resort to surgery.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I pitched back when I was in HS 30 years (ugh) ago and my shoulder would usually get a little tired if I used it heavily as I got older. I was out in Sacramento at my sisters getting her a Christmas tree. When I took the tree down from the SUV, I felt a little tug, nothing serious. Never took any Advil or anything. But it just got worse and worse for a few weeks until I couldn't lay flat and sleep. So that's where I think it kinda gave up. :)

Neither the Dr. or I are very confident the shot will help. But, once you do surgery, that's the last step so we may as well try it.

But I just bummed myself out. I've watched several videos of recovery from the surgery and none mentioned driving. When I was talking to my friend last night who has had the surgery, he said "my wife drove me everywhere for a month". I said I always drive with one arm and he said, "nah, you really can't." I googled it and they pretty much said no driving for a month.

I live alone.....I don't have a spouse that can play chauffeur for a month.....This may really suck.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Got a cortisone shot yesterday. I am going to Europe in June and told the Dr. what is the latest I could have the surgery and still make that trip with a relatively healthy shoulder and he said, "Today". So....going to ride this out until at least August and see how it is. Hopefully the shot will do some magic.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
canal-winchester-3-adam-vipperman.jpg

Reactions: Sore Loser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad