OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I haven't posted much this season but wanted to drop in to fill my HF peeps in. CBJ wins are good medicine. I have been battling breast cancer since October. Diagnosed during Hockey Fights Cancer week, no less. Depending on treatment days, I've missed some doozies at the arena, but have seen them all on tv! Just ready to share, now that the battle is well underway. Doing well! Cancer sucks.

heart you JS...keep fighting!!!! #EFFCancer

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I haven't posted much this season but wanted to drop in to fill my HF peeps in. CBJ wins are good medicine. I have been battling breast cancer since October. Diagnosed during Hockey Fights Cancer week, no less. Depending on treatment days, I've missed some doozies at the arena, but have seen them all on tv! Just ready to share, now that the battle is well underway. Doing well! Cancer sucks.
Ouch. Good luck with that fight.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Prayers for you and your family...sounds so trite at first, but I'm guessing everyone who has posted in response (and many who have not) are truly right behind you.
Amazing what perspective having family and significant others navigate the cancer world does to you - I never understood til the last 5 years.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Not to be political, just had a funny thought.

Is it possible HF is the website with the most interaction between Americans and Russians in the world?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Not to be political, just had a funny thought.

Is it possible HF is the website with the most interaction between Americans and Russians in the world?

HF is #3

#2 is a discussion board on Vodka.

#1 is the Bachelor/Bachlorette franchise. They love it. Boffo ratings there.

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
Checking out their tour schedule, I noticed that one of my favorite Finnish bands Amorphis will play in Columbus next week (Wednesday 3/22), supported by another Finnish band Swallow The Sun. They're also in Cleveland the day before. I urge you to go see them if you like heavier music! http://www.amorphis.net/#tour

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Hey guys gotta question. So at work we're looking to tweak our website, starting with our gallery. Right now we use one called Cincopa but we want to upgrade. Any web designers among us who have any suggestions? Free is obviously welcome but we'll pay if it's worthwhile.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Hey guys gotta question. So at work we're looking to tweak our website, starting with our gallery. Right now we use one called Cincopa but we want to upgrade. Any web designers among us who have any suggestions? Free is obviously welcome but we'll pay if it's worthwhile.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I have a website and I use icompendium. I have a feeling it may not be as sophisticated as you're used to but it only takes a second to check it out.

www.icompendium.com

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I don't know if this will help you at all, but I have a website and I use icompendium. I have a feeling it may not be as sophisticated as you're used to but it only takes a second to check it out.

www.icompendium.com

I just checked out Juicebox, which I quite liked, but it seems to have compatibility issues with I.E. and Chrome. Normally I wouldn't really care but as we're reaching our clients we need to be as accessible as possible. I'll look into icompendium tomorrow. The website is all I've been working on lately.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just checked out Juicebox, which I quite liked, but it seems to have compatibility issues with I.E. and Chrome. Normally I wouldn't really care but as we're reaching our clients we need to be as accessible as possible. I'll look into icompendium tomorrow. The website is all I've been working on lately.
Issues with Chrome comes as a major surprise, as that particular rendering engine is damn near universal by now (the same overall codebase - with some tweaks - is used in Safari on OSX and iPhones/iPads, and nearly every single Android-based browser, plus plenty of other desktop browsers like Opera and Vivaldi). IE, on the other hand, I'd be shocked if it worked at all.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Issues with Chrome comes as a major surprise, as that particular rendering engine is damn near universal by now (the same overall codebase - with some tweaks - is used in Safari on OSX and iPhones/iPads, and nearly every single Android-based browser, plus plenty of other desktop browsers like Opera and Vivaldi). IE, on the other hand, I'd be shocked if it worked at all.

That's what surprised me too. But when I tried to run it in Chrome I got the same error message I did in IE. I was uploading images using Flickr, which I don't particularly care for, and I suppose it's possible it was a Flickr issue.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's what surprised me too. But when I tried to run it in Chrome I got the same error message I did in IE. I was uploading images using Flickr, which I don't particularly care for, and I suppose it's possible it was a Flickr issue.
That seems more probable to me. I'm not as familiar with photo gallery software, though, so I wouldn't know much beyond that. I write more web-based stuff than I actually install. ;)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Flickr is an enormous pain in every way. It's cobbled together out of a ton of different scripts that limit accessibility if there's anything wrong with any of them, and it's like balancing a bowling ball on top of a house of cards.

Nearly any image server would be better than that. Except Photobucket, which is even worse than Flickr.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Since we're a virtual lock for the playoffs this year, we get to meaningfully participate in the annual HFCanes Bandwagon Fan Draft. Yay! We're picking 5th overall, and right now the Blackhawks (4th overall) are on the clock. So we may want to start thinking about who to pick.

Complete list of all draft-eligible fans, with profile page links.

Interesting draft candidates IMO:
  • TheOllieC: He's a local and already follows the Jackets, so we know he'll perform. OTOH, we might be able to get him as a UFA.
  • Lempo: Because everybody knows we always draft Finns. Also, this post: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=129157489#post129157489
  • halleJOKEL: Infamy, mostly. We need more Big Names because nobody knows who's on the roster here.
Thoughts?

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
I say we still draft TheOllieC, it'll show the fan base that we care about homegrown talent and he'd be great in the community too. And frankly, it would be a PR disaster if we didn't and some other team then snatches him.

UNLESS! If we leave him to be picked by another team, he then refuses to sign and we trade Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, a couple of draft picks and $15 million the ghost of Tulipunaruusu for him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I say we still draft TheOllieC, it'll show the fan base that we care about homegrown talent and he'd be great in the community too. And frankly, it would be a PR disaster if we didn't and some other team then snatches him.

UNLESS! If we leave him to be picked by another team, he then refuses to sign and we trade Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, a couple of draft picks and $15 million the ghost of Tulipunaruusu for him.
We survived Roslovic going to Winnipeg, tho.

FYI, we are about to be on the clock.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Flickr is an enormous pain in every way. It's cobbled together out of a ton of different scripts that limit accessibility if there's anything wrong with any of them, and it's like balancing a bowling ball on top of a house of cards.

Nearly any image server would be better than that. Except Photobucket, which is even worse than Flickr.

Yeah I don't like either one of them. Unfortunately I did like the looks of this gallery, Juicebox, which allows me to either upload images locally or only through Flickr. If I upload locally Chrome users (and IE users) can't view them, thus leaving me with the option of using Flickr. The problem I'm running into is that when I'm running it in Chrome having uploaded my images through Flickr I'm getting this error message: Juicebox cannot display locally in this browser. When I troubleshoot it tells me this: Certain browsers contain a security restriction that disables loading local files, and that I should load my images externally. Which makes my head hurt because I'm pretty sure that's what I did with Flickr.

Basically I'm at the point of looking into yet another gallery I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->