OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
This week, when temperatures lowered to a point of -14.8 fahrenheit in Finland, there was a discussion on the latest teenage girl fashion trend which is to leave your ankles uncovered by a shoe, sock or long johns even in outerwear.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This week, when temperatures lowered to a point of -14.8 fahrenheit in Finland, there was a discussion on the latest teenage girl fashion trend which is to leave your ankles uncovered by a shoe, sock or long johns even in outerwear.

I saw a young woman in Columbus the other day with a heavy winter coat, hat, gloves and jeans that didn't cover her ankles, with no tall socks or boots.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Now Columbus loses The Andersons, which is closing all retail stores.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2017/01/15/0115-andersons-closing.html

I have no idea where I'll go for a good beer and wine selection, as well as a replacement for their House of Meats. Anyone have recommendations? I hear Gentile's in Grandview has a good beer/wine selection. Butcher?

If you're going to Grandview for booze, the might as well check out this butcher shop.

http://thebutcherandgrocer.com/

Gonna miss The Andersons.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
If you're going to Grandview for booze, the might as well check out this butcher shop.

http://thebutcherandgrocer.com/

Gonna miss The Andersons.

Thanks. I'll check it out. We've done the cow thing every second year for a few years, splitting one three ways with other families but you end up with tons of roast and ground beef and only a few good steaks. Once the strips and so forth are gone, we'd go to the Andersons in the interim. Their House of Meats was actually our first introduction to how to properly and economnically buy steak by buying the whole loin and having it custom cut to our needs.

It does look like House of Meats is actually separate from Andersons, and they're looking for a way to stay in Columbus. One commenter had a golden idea: House of Beer and Meats...

Anyone have any better suggestions for wide beer and wine selections beyond Gentile's?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks. I'll check it out. We've done the cow thing every second year for a few years, splitting one three ways with other families but you end up with tons of roast and ground beef and only a few good steaks. Once the strips and so forth are gone, we'd go to the Andersons in the interim. Their House of Meats was actually our first introduction to how to properly and economnically buy steak by buying the whole loin and having it custom cut to our needs.

It does look like House of Meats is actually separate from Andersons, and they're looking for a way to stay in Columbus. One commenter had a golden idea: House of Beer and Meats...

Anyone have any better suggestions for wide beer and wine selections beyond Gentile's?

http://www.weilandsmarket.com/

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
My brother, who lives outside of Ohio, has already threatened me with bodily harm if Donatos were to close.

noted! sounds conveniently close to my Ackerman Road office :)

it would be on your long way home...just south of Bethel on Kenny...

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
In Markus Nutivaara's hometown Oulu last night a man was found to have surrendered to a male pig. The police are are determining whether it was an act out of free will or a drunken mishap to be naked and in the piggery. The man had escaped from the pig caretaker, who initially found him being surrendered after alarm notification, stumbling on manure and lifting his trousers on the way to his car. Police found the either unlucky or lucky man passed out in the ditch 40 kilometres off the site.

"So in that way animal looks upon human, human upon animal, from eye to eye. They understand something, quite much even, of each other. Humanity or animality? Creatures of nature both. How about human to human, eye to eye?"

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Happening in the spring of Athens of Finland in, Jyväskylä, the home of griffin Matti Nykänen and Markus Hännikäinen's former team JYP HT No Smoking Team...

A late night fisherman, 31, was left in the river after the current got the best of his boat. The man rose from the stream feeling algid. Wisely, he broke nearby Suur-Savo Electricity company's hydro power plant's window in search of warmth. Inside the plant he found also Suur-Savon Sähkö work overalls, putting them on. Apparently inspired by this the drunken man then started going around the plant, operating the switches as he went on, managing to shortcut one of the three 1,5 megawatt generators, bypassing the automatic systems safeguarding the plant in the process. The plant has since went under-capacity for eight months, making around one million euro losses after this incident.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
PD8y3et.jpg

"Lonely hog on its straws is looking for a friend. I pork in Oulu, hopefully you will be venturing with a vehicle. Alcohol is no hindrance, only an opportunity."

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I hereby move to redesignate this thread and all subsequent "general OT" threads as the "Bizarre Finnish Trivia And Other Topics" thread series.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I haven't posted much this season but wanted to drop in to fill my HF peeps in. CBJ wins are good medicine. I have been battling breast cancer since October. Diagnosed during Hockey Fights Cancer week, no less. Depending on treatment days, I've missed some doozies at the arena, but have seen them all on tv! Just ready to share, now that the battle is well underway. Doing well! Cancer sucks.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I haven't posted much this season but wanted to drop in to fill my HF peeps in. CBJ wins are good medicine. I have been battling breast cancer since October. Diagnosed during Hockey Fights Cancer week, no less. Depending on treatment days, I've missed some doozies at the arena, but have seen them all on tv! Just ready to share, now that the battle is well underway. Doing well! Cancer sucks.

Best of luck to you, Derby, keep up the fight!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad