OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Question for my fellow bourbon and whiskey drinkers - what do you recommend around here to pick up? I like to drink neat

I've been on a kick lately and have picked up the below:

Four Roses Single Barrel (my favorite) and Small Batch Select
Whistlepig Piggyback (also good)
Uncle Nearest 1856
High West Campfire
Heaven's Gate Double Barrel
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Basil Hayden's
Breckenridge Bourbon

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Question for my fellow bourbon and whiskey drinkers - what do you recommend around here to pick up? I like to drink neat

Uncle Nearest 1856
High West Campfire
Basil Hayden's
Breckenridge Bourbon

I’m an Irish fan and Bushmills Black Bush is a favorite. Dark rum is under appreciated neat, with Matusalem preferred.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Uncle Nearest 1856
High West Campfire
Basil Hayden's
Breckenridge Bourbon

Maybe try a smoky, peaty scotch if you haven't yet - that's my favorite neat. Laphroaig 10 is my go to because I think it's great bang for your buck. $40 or so. Talisker is another good one around that price.

Spring for Lagavulin 16 if you want to spend a bit more on a better bottle.

Reactions: pete goegan

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe try a smoky, peaty scotch if you haven't yet - that's my favorite neat. Laphroaig 10 is my go to because I think it's great bang for your buck. $40 or so. Talisker is another good one around that price.

I knew I liked you. All three doubly recommended. I’m partial to the Talisker.

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That said, I don't know the Scotch, especially the heavily-peated versions you and I prefer, are going to provide a similar enough flavor profile for J2F's bourbon (which I generally don't care for). As long as they know that going in, I'm all for trying stuff.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That said, I don't know the Scotch, especially the heavily-peated versions you and I prefer, are going to provide a similar enough flavor profile for J2F's bourbon (which I generally don't care for). As long as they know that going in, I'm all for trying stuff.

I typically find bourbon too sweet. I like rye more - maybe with a rock and a dash of bitters if I'm feeling fancy.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I knew I liked you. All three doubly recommended. I’m partial to the Talisker.

Laphroaig is my favorite Scotch; but, after visiting the distillery on Skye, Talisker ranks a close second!

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Someday when this world settles down I'm making that trip to Talisker Distillery and Orkney Brewery!
Laphroaig is my favorite Scotch; but, after visiting the distillery on Skye, Talisker ranks a close second!

I've done the Ireland circuit, need to do Scotland next. Not surprising you two gentlemen are who I share my libation preferences with.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I typically find bourbon too sweet. I like rye more - maybe with a rock and a dash of bitters if I'm feeling fancy.
Currently sampling Michter Rye. Not at the top of the cost chart ($40ish), very smooth but still has strong character and a distinct finish. I prefer it neat - almost too smooth for a rock!

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Currently sampling Michter Rye. Not at the top of the cost chart ($40ish), very smooth but still has strong character and a distinct finish.

I on a whim ordered Michter Rye at a bar in DC's waterfront, and only discovered when I went to pay it was $39 a shot (I may be exaggerating, this was a while ago, but it was outrageous) and I've been turned off it ever since.

$40/bottle is my go-to price point, I'll give it another try. Bulleit Rye is what I usually maintain a stash of, it's usually in the low $30s.

Reactions: Forepar

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I on a whim ordered Michter Rye at a bar in DC's waterfront, and only discovered when I went to pay it was $39 a shot (I may be exaggerating, this was a while ago, but it was outrageous) and I've been turned off it ever since.

$40/bottle is my go-to price point, I'll give it another try. Bulleit Rye is what I usually maintain a stash of, it's usually in the low $30s.
Similar tastes...Bulleit Rye is a staple go-to at this house. I think I am right on price, but gf buys the bourbon here!!!!

EDIT: Confirmed price is $39-44 for Michter Straight Rye (their standard). Not the $340 single barrel variety! (Which I’ve not had and not likely to change that!).

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Similar tastes...Bulleit Rye is a staple go-to at this house. I think I am right on price, but gf buys the bourbon here!!!!

EDIT: Confirmed price is $39-44 for Michter Straight Rye (their standard). Not the $340 single barrel variety! (Which I’ve not had and not likely to change that!).

This makes me believe I perhaps accidently ordered or was charged erroneously for the $340 bottle. To be fair, that wasn't the first drink I ordered so it was likely my fault :laugh:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
This makes me believe I perhaps accidently ordered or was charged erroneously for the $340 bottle. To be fair, that wasn't the first drink I ordered so it was likely my fault :laugh:
Or you ordered correctly but got served the top shelf!!!! Deny deny deny!!!! It was the barkeep’s fault!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad