OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Diagnosed here during Hockey Fights Cancer stretch of games in 2016. I completed 26 months of BC treatment and have 5-7 years of meds ahead. God bless you and all the caregivers out there!!! No way I would have gotten through it without my support team.

My mantra was “good medicine and a peaceful mind.” I am thankful for both. Sending you both the same wish.

Keep the faith Derby and Best Wishes in your ongoing treatment. I and many others will always be in your corner :hockey:

Reactions: Derby

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Diagnosed here during Hockey Fights Cancer stretch of games in 2016. I completed 26 months of BC treatment and have 5-7 years of meds ahead. God bless you and all the caregivers out there!!! No way I would have gotten through it without my support team.

My mantra was “good medicine and a peaceful mind.” I am thankful for both. Sending you both the same wish.

HF is with you still, Derby.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008

God bless you and thank you Derby. Those are good words to live by.

Reactions: Derby

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Heres a question that by far most people can't answer. Even some of the most intelligent one's have problems figuring it out. While the answer is quite obvious.

So who can solve this riddle?

"According to a famous philosopher, for most оf us *it* offers/means the very first encounter with the lies of the world"

It = ?

Hint: its not Santa Claus

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Heres a question that by far most people can't answer. Even some of the most intelligent one's have problems figuring it out. While the answer is quite obvious.

"According to a famous philosopher, for most if us *it* offers/means the very first encounter with the lies of the world"

It = ?

I’m going to guess Religion is the answer. Not agreeing with the statement, just guessing that’s what the philosopher said.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

"According to a famous philosopher, for most оf us *it* offers/means the very first encounter with the lies of the world"

It = ?

Seeing a clock

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Tbh I have difficulties using the plural form when it comes to my connection to CBJ.

I do see native speakers using the word "we" all the time, "we won", "we suck" etc, so I assume its acceptable to say it like this. Yet every time I try saying the same my mind protests on several levels since Im perfectly aware that Im just some guy from Belgium who isnt related to the team on any physical level other than owning Cam's and Bread's jerseys.

Is using the word "we" truly acceptable when it comes to the team you are supporting? It feels very wrong and I cant suppress it for some reason.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Tbh I have difficulties using the plural form when it comes to my connection to CBJ.

I do see native speakers using the word "we" all the time, "we won", "we suck" etc, so I assume its acceptable to say it like this. Yet every time I try saying the same my mind protests on several levels since Im perfectly aware that Im just some guy from Belgium who isnt related to the team on any physical level other than owning Cam's and Bread's jerseys.

Is using the word "we" truly acceptable when it comes to the team you are supporting? It feels very wrong and I cant suppress it for some reason.
Just answer the riddle

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

It’s clearly acceptable as you point out. I agree I’m not fond of it either. It does slip in sometimes to differentiate between ‘they’ and ‘we’ but mostly I use ‘the team’ or they CBJ’ or something like that.

That said, where you’re from or at or any of those things aren’t that important when considering fan-dom. If you feel part of it, I think that’s enough to be ‘we’.

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
It’s clearly acceptable as you point out. I agree I’m not fond of it either. It does slip in sometimes to differentiate between ‘they’ and ‘we’ but mostly I use ‘the team’ or they CBJ’ or something like that.

I think its hmm trashy on certain levels or at least thats what my mind tells me so I also usually say "the Jackets" or more formal "CBJ". Even if I was one of the biggest, craziest fans of the team Id still have this inner voice telling me not to use "we" in this context.

That said, where you’re from or at or any of those things aren’t that important when considering fan-dom. If you feel part of it, I think that’s enough to be ‘we’.

My location is indeed not important, I mentioned it to emphasize that Im not employed by the organisation and that Im in fact very far from it.

PS. You said once on the main board that I was a 'fake' fan of some kind, who was only there for 9 + 72. Its not insulting or anything, but its simply not true at all. Anyway thanks for giving your opinion.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think its hmm trashy on certain levels or at least thats what my mind tells me so I also usually say "the Jackets" or more formal "CBJ". Even if I was one of the biggest, craziest fans of the team Id still have this inner voice telling me not to use "we" in this context.

My location is indeed not important, I mentioned it to emphasize that Im not employed by the organisation and that Im in fact very far from it.

PS. You said once on the main board that I was a 'fake' fan of some kind, who was only there for 9 + 72. Its not insulting or anything, but its simply not true at all. Anyway thanks for giving your opinion.

I did and was wrong. Glad to have been so and glad to have you around.

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I did and was wrong. Glad to have been so and glad to have you around.

Its fine, I wasnt seeking acknowledgement or anything, but thx anyway. Besides, I remember you saying that you gave me the benefit of the doubt, which also means that it wasnt a real assumption.

And about "we", I wont use it again since its like saying 'we won the war', Im sure many Americans say that like many Russians do, while in reality they have less than nothing to do with the war or the victory.

Anyway shalom etc!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It’s clearly acceptable as you point out. I agree I’m not fond of it either.

I think it is more acceptable for college sports, especially for fans who attended the university. I have less of an issue saying something like “We beat Penn State” for Ohio State than “We beat the Jets” for the CBJ.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
We, they, us and them.
If you feel close to the team or a fan since inception, or grew up playing, you probably say we. If not , they.:thumbu:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think it is more acceptable for college sports, especially for fans who attended the university. I have less of an issue saying something like “We beat Penn State” for Ohio State than “We beat the Jets” for the CBJ.
That's part of where I get it (also a Buckeyes fan, and my family and I all have a whole lot of connections to Ohio State up to and including folks who've taught classes there). The other part is that whenever someone from another fan wants to chat, they always start with "you" rather than "your team", so it's kind of reflexive.

It does get a little confusing and perplexing for me, however, when I'm discussing the Jackets and the Preds both at the same time. :D

Reactions: koteka and Madifer

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Wow. Kobe Bryant killed in a helicopter accident. Sad 41 years old. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Edit: Just wanted to edit my post. There were four other people aboard the plane. At this time it is unknown who these people are but they deserve the same respect from me. RIP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad