OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Hey guys! Me and my friends from Montreal are going to go to the Browns-Seahawks game on October 13th, we are 30 yrs old and looking for a good bar to hang on Saturday night, any good places in Cleveland?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This morning's Yom Kippur sermon at my synagogue was focused on empathy - specifically, its necessity, how it's a skill one can cultivate, and it's also one that is dwindling in society today.

I happen to agree w/r/t its necessity, mostly from personal experience, but there's evidently acknowledged practical benefits as well:
Think Empathy Is A Soft Skill? Think Again. Why You Need Empathy For Success

So! Some strategies to look at for improving one's skill at same:
Empathy is a skill. Here are 5 ways to get better at it.

And another why-and-how-to for fellow tech geeks (this would be the one that illustrated - to my surprise - most of why I've been able to maintain gainful employment in IT, and thus making me think "I should be explicitly practicing this EVEN MORE"):
Empathy is a Technical Skill

yes, I know, it's yet another Viqsi Is Preaching Again bit, but work with me here ;)

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I really want to cut the cable tv cord but don't want to go without FSO. What are my best options?
I've been using Youtube TV for just over a year now and it's done really well. They did recently raise the price, which is kind of annoying, but it's been worth it so far IMO.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I've been using Youtube TV for just over a year now and it's done really well. They did recently raise the price, which is kind of annoying, but it's been worth it so far IMO.

Thanks - at this point it looks like YT and PS Vue look to be the frontrunners. PSV having both NHLN and NFLN make it look like the better option upfront but I still need to do some more digging.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thanks - at this point it looks like YT and PS Vue look to be the frontrunners. PSV having both NHLN and NFLN make it look like the better option upfront but I still need to do some more digging.
Ah. Neither of those networks were considerations of mine when I was shopping around; I was more concerned about getting Jackets, Crew SC, and Buckeye football games. My parents and my sister have broader interests, tho, and they piggyback on my account through the "family access" thing Youtube TV does (we all live close enough together that we can sorta kinda get away with it ;) ).

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I have Sling and had no idea until the second CBJ game of the season that they were in a contract dispute and had lost FSO for the time being. I'm debating switching now as I've had to watch the last few CBJ games at a bar. I'm going to check out Youtube TV a bit more closely.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have Sling and had no idea until the second CBJ game of the season that they were in a contract dispute and had lost FSO for the time being. I'm debating switching now as I've had to watch the last few CBJ games at a bar. I'm going to check out Youtube TV a bit more closely.

For a short term solution, you can always check out the reddit NHL streams. They're surprisingly reliable.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I am going to Seattle in January. Any tips on what to see? I will be staying downtown for five days.

Also, does anyone live there or did at one point? The reason I am making this trip is to check the city out as a potential place to move to.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know which ones of us have military service in their personal histories or are perhaps currently active/reserve military or maybe have sons and/or daughters in the service. In any case, this and every day, thanks for being who you/they are and what you/they do.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I have PSVue and I love it, if that helps.

It sucks PS Vue is going away, huh? I was about to sign up with them until I found out they were closing down in January. I went with YouTube TV instead and am much happier with them vs WOW. I'm saving about $70 per month and getting more channels than I was with cable.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It sucks PS Vue is going away, huh? I was about to sign up with them until I found out they were closing down in January. I went with YouTube TV instead and am much happier with them vs WOW. I'm saving about $70 per month and getting more channels than I was with cable.

It was a low-key announcement. I am bummed. Luckily, YouTube TV sounds like a good equivalent. I am more concerned that these apps will start going away as they are increasing in cost. I love the flexibility they offer to cancel for summer when I don't watch as much TV.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Slightly happier news - some of you may have noticed in a GDT not too long ago when I mentioned my mother also has colon cancer, and I''ve gotten a few well-wishes PMs. Well, we just got the CT results back, and her treatment is going to be "one quick surgery and then it's done". Nothing severe. So, breathing a little easier. :nod:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Slightly happier news - some of you may have noticed in a GDT not too long ago when I mentioned my mother also has colon cancer, and I''ve gotten a few well-wishes PMs. Well, we just got the CT results back, and her treatment is going to be "one quick surgery and then it's done". Nothing severe. So, breathing a little easier. :nod:

This is great news!

Still, eff cancer.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

That is great news.

Reactions: Derby and Viqsi

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Great news. My wife has been fighting breast cancer going on four years now.

Reactions: Derby

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
This morning's Yom Kippur sermon at my synagogue was focused on empathy - specifically, its necessity, how it's a skill one can cultivate, and it's also one that is dwindling in society today.

I happen to agree w/r/t its necessity, mostly from personal experience, but there's evidently acknowledged practical benefits as well:
Think Empathy Is A Soft Skill? Think Again. Why You Need Empathy For Success

So! Some strategies to look at for improving one's skill at same:
Empathy is a skill. Here are 5 ways to get better at it.

And another why-and-how-to for fellow tech geeks (this would be the one that illustrated - to my surprise - most of why I've been able to maintain gainful employment in IT, and thus making me think "I should be explicitly practicing this EVEN MORE"):
Empathy is a Technical Skill

yes, I know, it's yet another Viqsi Is Preaching Again bit, but work with me here ;)

Hmm shalom shalom, Im not a practicing jew like you seem to be, yet its still interesting that they emphasize such things as a part of the religious gathering.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Great news. My wife has been fighting breast cancer going on four years now.
Diagnosed here during Hockey Fights Cancer stretch of games in 2016. I completed 26 months of BC treatment and have 5-7 years of meds ahead. God bless you and all the caregivers out there!!! No way I would have gotten through it without my support team.

My mantra was “good medicine and a peaceful mind.” I am thankful for both. Sending you both the same wish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad