OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Glad you're apparently OK, sabo.

Much appreciated. It seems like everyone for the most part is ok, no fatalities reported. Lots of damage spread around, seems like everyone around Dayton got a good piece of it. Lots of power outages, and Hara arena (once home to most of the GREAT Dayton hockey teams) got tore up pretty good.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
A tornado warning bulletin last night read "At 11:41 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Ohio State University, moving east at 35 mph." This morning, I thought to myself that it's a good thing it didn't touch down.

Then I realized what a terrible pun I had made.

Also, it's The Ohio State University. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sabo0290

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Much appreciated. It seems like everyone for the most part is ok, no fatalities reported. Lots of damage spread around, seems like everyone around Dayton got a good piece of it. Lots of power outages, and Hara arena (once home to most of the GREAT Dayton hockey teams) got tore up pretty good.
State of Emergency issued for Trotwood; Hara Arena roof blown off, schools closed after tornadoes

Amazing that they were no fatalities in Dayton.

I had just walked through the (closed) Hara a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A tornado warning bulletin last night read "At 11:41 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Ohio State University, moving east at 35 mph." This morning, I thought to myself that it's a good thing it didn't touch down.

Then I realized what a terrible pun I had made.

Also, it's The Ohio State University. :sarcasm:
Yeah; that's the one that kept me from getting any useful sleep that evening (I don't live on campus, but in that case it was close enough)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Alive wins 19 awards, goes digital only

Tomorrow the last print edition of Columbus Alive hits streets. If you haven't been paying attention the past few years, you missed the pub's transformation from "where's the party?" paper to a legit alt-weekly with stories about the people and places in the city you might not otherwise have heard of.

It's also where I've worked, following an unexpected "transfer," for the past almost-four years. With the switch to online-only, I'll no longer have a gig, but this is more about the loss of local journalism. Given our love-hate relationship with those who cover the CBJ and with other media outlets/sources, I thought this was worth mentioning in here.

A few years ago, The Other Paper was scuttled, and it was a big deal. (I was working in the same office as that staff when it happened.) Alive might not have that paper's history, but it's filled the same role, sometimes in a more thorough way, over the past handful of years. It's also a big deal.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Alive wins 19 awards, goes digital only

Tomorrow the last print edition of Columbus Alive hits streets. If you haven't been paying attention the past few years, you missed the pub's transformation from "where's the party?" paper to a legit alt-weekly with stories about the people and places in the city you might not otherwise have heard of.

It's also where I've worked, following an unexpected "transfer," for the past almost-four years. With the switch to online-only, I'll no longer have a gig, but this is more about the loss of local journalism. Given our love-hate relationship with those who cover the CBJ and with other media outlets/sources, I thought this was worth mentioning in here.

A few years ago, The Other Paper was scuttled, and it was a big deal. (I was working in the same office as that staff when it happened.) Alive might not have that paper's history, but it's filled the same role, sometimes in a more thorough way, over the past handful of years. It's also a big deal.

Sorry for your displacement. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sorry for your displacement. Best of luck to you.

Prob just go full-time as a mod.
source.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The amount of rain that was just dropped was fairly absurd. My back yard should have 0 inches of water. Right now it has about 8 inches of water. I've never seen more than 4 and I've lived here for three years.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The amount of rain that was just dropped was fairly absurd. My back yard should have 0 inches of water. Right now it has about 8 inches of water. I've never seen more than 4 and I've lived here for three years.
I tried to frisbee golf at Alum Creek today and multiple holes were unplayable because the water was so high.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I havent drunk ANY vodka since the last game against Boston. As the resultt my brain and my liver are sending infinite signals of happiness to my body. Little do they know that October is coming soon and that this year a lot more vodka will be consumed..

Reactions: Nanabijou

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Mike Davis?!?! :facepalm:

What the heck is it with being a weatherman in Columbus? Jim Gynahl...Mike Davis....

SMH

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
...what the heck did Ganahl do to be listed alongside what Davis is accused of?

Probably referring to his pill addiction some 15-20 years ago in which his doctor lost his license (I think)? Or maybe it's when he talked smack about Ben Gelber? Either way, not Davis-level territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->