Pre-Game Talk: CBJ @ Leafs (Monday) and Leafs @ Bruins (Tuesday)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I really think that he has nothing to lose if he tries it. Actually he will increase his standing with fans and it seems like a no lose situation. If Nylander fails as a C - everybody would support playing him at W for all the years up to now. If he actually does well - that means extra job security for him, since we will be winning more games. I guess after JT comes back all of this becomes irrelevant, but in the short term I think such line up switches can only help us and keep the opponents guessing. The other theory would be if Willy specifically said that he doesn't want to play C and will not do it, but I doubt this, since he has done it in the past. I know that his defense is not the best, but could it really lead to such a failure in a single game?

If Tavares was out long-term, it would likely be something that is tried. But Tavares is only out a couple weeks. A major shake up isn’t really necessary.

Babcock did a great job last night of catching Boston off guard by putting Marner and Matthews together to start, then put Nylander back there, and then used Marner again in different spots. If teams don’t know if it’s Marner Matthews or Matthews Nylander coming out, it makes things tougher to match against

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
While that sounds fine, the idea is to not chance the points the first night. With how inconsistent their play has been, Columbus could possibly win with Hutchinson in net, which would mean Andersen with a tired team in Boston.

Of the many of Babcock quirks, this isn't an issue really IMO. I think with a back-up you have more confidence in it's much less of an issue.

In general I agree.

Against Boston? I’d rather our best foot forward against them and take the chance against Columbus.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In general I agree.

Against Boston? I’d rather our best foot forward against them and take the chance against Columbus.
I would go with Freddie for 3 of the 4 games this week if it was up to me. Not sure why we can't just give Freddie a night off at some point in a non-back to back to make up for it.

Reactions: ER89

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
If Tavares was out long-term, it would likely be something that is tried. But Tavares is only out a couple weeks. A major shake up isn’t really necessary.

Babcock did a great job last night of catching Boston off guard by putting Marner and Matthews together to start, then put Nylander back there, and then used Marner again in different spots. If teams don’t know if it’s Marner Matthews or Matthews Nylander coming out, it makes things tougher to match against
Yeah it actually took me quite a lot of time to catch that! I was really disappointed after the first goal when he separated Matthews and Marner. I have been thinking about this since yesterday actually. The Matthews-Marner and back to Willy mind games can be actually very effective. I am really glad he is giving this a shot. I really want to believe that Babcock is becoming more open minded and not so stubborn. I really enjoyed that Matthews got so much game time too.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We play another back to back already? holy

2 back to backs

mon/tue with tuesday against boston (divisional rival rested) - away game

then

fri/sat with saturday against montreal (divisional rival rested) - away game

absolute pathetic scheduling by NHL; and lack of balls by leafs management for not calling it out to the league for this unfair advantage to the leas' divisional rivals

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Who the **** made the schedule ?

10 games into the season, we already have 3 back to backs

playing all of them against divisional rivals when they are rested.

Richest organization in the league and they haven't called out this unfair scheduling that gives divisional rivals unfair advantage.

would be nice if Shanny and Dubas grew a back-bone and told the league to shove it

Reactions: Duffman955

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
In general I agree.

Get the first two points. While it's not guaranteed, they should be beating Columbus at home. Last night they nearly lost to Boston on two days rest with Andersen at home. Just put the back-up in and hope that the team is more protective of him and they get some kind of result.

Aside from that, how for the 2nd time in a week do we have a back to back being the away team in the 2nd game? That's the issue that should be talked about.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
Between the Leafs being last in PP's and this abomination of a schedule, when do we start entertaining the possibility that the league is trying to screw the Leafs over?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah it actually took me quite a lot of time to catch that! I was really disappointed after the first goal when he separated Matthews and Marner. I have been thinking about this since yesterday actually. The Matthews-Marner and back to Willy mind games can be actually very effective. I am really glad he is giving this a shot. I really want to believe that Babcock is becoming more open minded and not so stubborn. I really enjoyed that Matthews got so much game time too.

Mind games indeed

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Andersen is always going to start the first game of a back to back. I don't know why this is talked about ad nauseam or there is confusion about it.

Johnsson is probable to play. X-rays were negative, so it's likely a bruise.

It's something we can debate but with Tavares, Dermott and Hyman out I'd be trying to bank every available point as well if I was Babcock

Get the points against Columbus and worry about Boston when you get there

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Glad tampa lost in regulation keeps the atlantic division race close but holy hell did their back-up put up a show in tampa last night. 44 saves with 17 saves alone in the 3rd period.

I miss McBackup so much!!!

We couldn’t afford him this year anyway

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It's something we can debate but with Tavares, Dermott and Hyman out I'd be trying to bank every available point as well if I was Babcock

Get the points against Columbus and worry about Boston when you get there

I wasn't too impressed with how relaxed Matthews and Marner played when going up against Marchand and Pasta. Hutch is going to get lit up if they repeat that.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I actually wonder how dangerous is it for Freddy to play both games? Does the risk of injury increase that much? It’s almost similar during the playoffs - only 1 rest day. If the risk of injury doesn’t skyrocket I still think that tired Freddy is better than Hutch. If it’s so bad - we will still get a scarecrow effect to our benefit. Opponents fear Freddy more and we have a moral boost when he is in net, because players feel safer.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wasn't too impressed with how relaxed Matthews and Marner played when going up against Marchand and Pasta. Hutch is going to get lit up if they repeat that.

It's a tough ask, those boys don't play together and your putting them up against one of the best lines in hockey

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
playing all of them against divisional rivals when they are rested.

Richest organization in the league and they haven't called out this unfair scheduling that gives divisional rivals unfair advantage.

would be nice if Shanny and Dubas grew a back-bone and told the league to shove it

Are you sure they didn't voice their displeasure?

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Mind games indeed

Cassidy is refering to Matthews and Marner together, not having to deal with the switch.

Not that the switch was all that advantageous. Id just have soon let Matthews and Marner play it out and shelter Willy with Spezza if it's all that integral.

Gotta love 2 guys that think the game like Matthews and Marner together long term.

Early last week Bunkis, on Good Show, said not playing these two together may end up being one of the big 'what ifs', should the Leafs not become champs.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Cassidy is refering to Matthews and Marner together, not having to deal with the switch.

Not that the switch was all that advantageous. Id just have soon let Matthews and Marner play it out and shelter Willy with Spezza if it's all that integral.

Gotta love 2 guys that think the game like Matthews and Marner together long term.

Early last week Bunkis, on Good Show, said not playing these two together may end up being one of the big 'what ifs', should the Leafs not become champs.

It's not like Tavares would be left in the cold either, Nylander plays a game that's nearly perfect for Tavares. He doesn't need Marner's cross crease passes to succeed, having Nylander gain the zone and cycle with him down low is right in his wheelhouse.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
It's not like Tavares would be left in the cold either, Nylander plays a game that's nearly perfect for Tavares. He doesn't need Marner's cross crease passes to succeed, having Nylander gain the zone and cycle with him down low is right in his wheelhouse.

And as captain, it should also be in his wheelhouse to work with a talented player who may be struggling with the system. JT is not an irresponsible player and puts up points despite linemates.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Yep, and another against Montreal right after. It's pretty laughable

I’ve seen the numbers of our 14 or w/e b2b’s and how only a few of the other teams (0 atlantic) also play their 2nd of the b2b that night.

But how many nights do we play a team on the 2nd of a b2b when we’re fresh? Just curious.

edit: Checking.

edit:
Philly Nov 2
Chi Nov 10 - both B2B
Buf Nov 30 - both B2B

I’m up til Xmas. It’s insane how hard we’re getting ****d actually...

NYR Dec 28 - both B2B
Ottawa Feb 1
Anaheim Feb 7
Arizona Feb 11
Carolina Feb 22
Boston Mar 14
Wash Mar 31

It’s ugly until February. And I think overall we have to play 11 B2B’s against rested teams while we’re tired. We also get to play 7 B2B’s against tired teams while we’re fresh almost all coming down the stretch.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ride Freddy for the early part of the schedule, build up some distance in the standings then rest him down the stretch.

If Hutch plays a game this week it should be Friday against a western team and that's it., Freddy can handle 3 in 6 against conference and divisional teams.

Reactions: OddyOh and Hustlr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad