CBJ Goalie Poll - 2019/2020 season

When the 82 game regular season is over, who will have started more CBJ games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm still really not sure he's NHL material yet at this point, even as a backup, and I'm not hating. Very sketchy on the ice dealing with NHL players. The Are we dealing with confidence or arrogance with Elvis?

I could see this last game take some pressure, if there was any, off of Korpisalo and he very well could go on a run. Real deal.

Great post.

I had a similar thought about its effect on Korpisalo. After last night's "performance" Tort's has zero confidence in Elvis-as he should. It really appears to be Korpisalo's job now and he can concentrate on his job without fear of being instantly replaced when he has an off game.

I just bought a used car (for real). I encountered less BS on that journey than I have from Jarmo on Elvis and Bemstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
While the jury may still be out on the rest of the team, IMO it's reporting back on the goaltending issue.

Korpi's GAA is 3.04 and his save % is .897.

Elvis' stats are 3.54 GAA and a .890 save %.

Averages league-wide are 2.87 GAA and a .908 save percentage.

This is on you, Jarmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkandStormy

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
While the jury may still be out on the rest of the team, IMO it's reporting back on the goaltending issue.

This is on you, Jarmo.
And this is behind a defensive team with a blue line ranked top 10 in the NHL

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

This is on you, Jarmo.
So we spend like 7 years developing Korpi and 5 developing Elvis to not even give either one a shot? It doesn’t surprise me Jarmo didn’t go after a FA. We’ve invested years into these guys.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So we spend like 7 years developing Korpi and 5 developing Elvis to not even give either one a shot? It doesn’t surprise me Jarmo didn’t go after a FA. We’ve invested years into these guys.

5 years on Elvis? He wasn't signed till last season. Did we pay for him wherever he played? And Korpi's " development" surely didn't say sure shot NHL goalie.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
5 years on Elvis? He wasn't signed till last season. Did we pay for him wherever he played? And Korpi's " development" surely didn't say sure shot NHL goalie.
He's been our property since 2014, so yes, we've spent 5 years on him. If you want to argue the semantics of the definition of "development" in this way, look elsewhere.

Wanna know how old Bob was when we traded for him? Same age as Korpi and Elvis are right now. And we got him for picks, which is probably where Korpi's value is right now. AND he was fighting with Mason for the #1 role even after he got here. My point is, goalies take a long, LONG time. For a goalie to even be in the NHL at the ages Korpi has is actually rather impressive when you look around at other goalie prospects.

*disclaimer* I am not making a direct comparison to Bob and Korpi, just trying to provide perspective.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is on you, Jarmo.

Nah. Jury is still out. It will be for a long time to come

And speaking of that league average .908 save percentage you mentioned, that's Elvis save percentage from his second game until today, including last night's disaster. .908.

With Korpi's iffy track record, pairing him with a European newcomer is definitely a surprising gamble. At Lehner's price that was an obvious pickup. Merzlikins could have either gone to Cleveland or waited a year - I could understand adding him as a 2nd goalie straight from Switzerland if we had a strong starter to pair him with. Adding a FA goalie for this year wouldn't have meant giving up on our investments, it would have been insuring the risk on our investments.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Both Korpi and Elvis are mediocre goalies, they’re not going to turn into a Vezina winning goalie, the sooner we realize this, the better

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Nah. Jury is still out. It will be for a long time to come

And speaking of that league average .908 save percentage you mentioned, that's Elvis save percentage from his second game until today, including last night's disaster. .908.

Korpi should have been part of a 1A / 1B type platoon with another more experienced goalie vs. pairing him with a completely inexperienced backup. That way if Korpi couldn't handle the responsibility of being the primary starter then we'd at least have a fallback plan. Now we're stuck with a below average starter and a backup who can't be trusted. The rest of the team IMO has the potential to be more than competitive but with the sub-par goaltending, this season is going to be a complete waste of time.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I respect the doubling down with the continuous Lehner comments and comparisons between Korpisalo and Merzlikins. It is what it is. Soon enough we'll be hearing how his performances and numbers are ----wait for it-----

unsustainable, because of his "career numbers".....before.

Everyone should note that the same people that continue to trash Korpisalo (for whatever reasons) were claiming he was worse (at least not better) than Merzlikins, and that obviously couldn't be farther from the truth, so how much of their "evaluations" on Korpisalo should be listened to or respected?

Dude is the best Finnish goalie in the world.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
@thebus88 at this point I’m not sure if you’re delusional or you’re trolling us ?

Korpisalo is nothing more than an average goalie, and certainly not even close to being the best Finnish goalie while Rask and Rinne are still playing

This is only the 2nd year that Korpisalo has been given the chance to play on a regular basis and only the 1st (depending what you think about last yr) that he has actually been looked at to possibly be the starter. The Korpisalo haters have a hard time explaining his 2015/16 numbers and the fact that not many goalies put up those good of numbers at that age. For people to say that the ability isn't there, when it WAS there his rookie year, doesn't make much sense to me.

GPMinGAGAAWLTSvsPctENSO
Joonas Korpisalo311797782.60161148910.92020
Sergei Bobrovsky372104972.75151919520.908
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Why are people acting like he hasn't played quite well this year, and really, over the last 2 years. I mean just last year he forced a somewhat short lived battle between him and Bob for the extra starts at the beginning of the year, and Bob's superior play isn't really what led to him getting the starts or the "starter" title.

Not to mention, when I watch Korpisalo, I see a good goalie. As I have in the past, I will trust my own judgement.

I love the "average goalie"/"not average goalie" talking points, btw. Lets wait and see what the numbers look like come 2020, shall we?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why are people acting like he hasn't played quite well this year, and really, over the last 2 years.
Because despite playing really well most of the time, he still has occasional moments where he just goofs, and when you're a goaltender that tends to end up showing up on the scoreboard.

I'd voted for Elvis, but that was mostly because I figured he wouldn't have those moments. It has been extraordinarily exasperating to discover otherwise.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Dude is the best Finnish goalie in the world.

upload_2019-11-25_11-37-10.png

This is a somewhat masterful, if not wholly believable, troll job.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Both Korpi and Elvis are mediocre goalies, they’re not going to turn into a Vezina winning goalie, the sooner we realize this, the better
I think this is right, though Elvis at least has the "potential" label, given that Torts has given him all of 5 road starts to begin his career in North America. The team - and it seemed Elvis - thought more playing time would help him so he got sent to Cleveland for...precisely one game. I don't know why they don't go back to rotating him in Cleveland more and calling up VV or Matiss every now and then. This team did that for awhile with Korpi/Forsberg, right?

Anyway, I can't really envision a worse scenario for Elvis starting his career in NA. He refused the PTO last spring - which would have given him North American experience. So I do have to wonder if that is playing a role in stunting his development right now. That said, the "Korpi plays better when he plays more" thought process isn't being borne out. It's going to be hard to win with sub-.900 goaltending from both your goalies. This also wasn't a completely unforeseen scenario but Jarmo tried to convince us all (and himself?) that the goaltending situation was good, actually.

Given the move to "load management" by teams around the league, I still remain baffled at Korpi getting 77% of the starts - a 63-start pace for the season.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I could just imagine they send Elvis to Cleveland and bring up either guy, Korpi plays and give up 3 goals on 4 shots, they throw Kiv or VV in and they stop the next 35 shots and CBJ comes back and wins. Some people will start complaining that Kiv or VV should be the starter and start posting stats as to why.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I could just imagine they send Elvis to Cleveland and bring up either guy, Korpi plays and give up 3 goals on 4 shots, they throw Kiv or VV in and they stop the next 35 shots and CBJ comes back and wins. Some people will start complaining that Kiv or VV should be the starter and start posting stats as to why.

Somewhere, Shaun Hunwick and Dan LaCosta are nodding in approval.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Fwiw, VV has posted a .924 / 2.03 in Cleveland in 9 starts, including two shutouts now. Just in case you wanted to add a little bit more to the goalie drama, there you go. Someone can head up the "FREE VEINI" camp if they so choose.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
There is no doubt VV has looked good so far. The last game was a great all around effort by the Monsters. They only allowed 16 shots, and VV stopped all of them. Couldn't ask for a better effort by everyone.

Reactions: koteka

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I’ve been advocating the CBJ to look closer at Georgiev who could be acquired relatively cheap.

After today, I don’t know how this could be ignored

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Easily...by the Rangers
Yup. I mean the Rangers also have Shesterkin playing in Hartford and he might be The King's eventual longterm replacement but in the short term Geo is at worst a pretty good placeholder.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

This is on you, Jarmo.

Korpi's play of late is making the guy who posted the above look pretty stupid right now.

We still need a reliable backup, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->