CBJ Goalie Poll - 2019/2020 season

When the 82 game regular season is over, who will have started more CBJ games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
So, in order we had:
1) Korpi throws on-ice outburst
2) Korpi apologizes to teammates on the plane afterwards
3) Torts/FO confirm they chatted with Korpi about it and made it clear it's not to happen again
4) Korpi does it again
5) Torts says they'll have to address it
6) They address it by...sitting Korpi one game after a long stretch when he probably would have sat anyway?

Yeah, real strong message sent.

So much for trying to get Elvis time as well. It's coming up on borderline insanity that Elvis has ZERO home starts - regular season or preseason. Outside of his debut, he's played as well or even better than Korpisalo, but is still getting ~25% of the starts. The goalie usage makes no sense to me.

D&S, while I agree with you that Elvis should be getting more starts, your rants come across as overly-anti-Korpi and with an agenda.

If you have watched the games, I think most would agree Korpi has played quite well of late and it is easy to argue the five guys in front of him have hung him out to dry way more than the average goalie should expect and that he has played better than his numbers.

Over his last six starts he has a .922 Save Percentage and 2.33 GAA. These are above average numbers...if he can remain consistent.

And if you really want to consider his numbers based on getting consistent starts then you have to go back to his rookie season when Bobs and C-Mac were injured and he went 16-11-4 with a 2.60 GAA and .920 Save Percentage. Cherry picking here but factor out his first six games that year when it was probably "holy crap I am in the NHL" and over his last 29 games he was 15-7-3 with a ~2.35 GAA and .927 Save Percentage.

Let me reiterate...I agree Elvis should be getting more of the starts. But no reason to tear Korpi down to make your point.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Well, one thing that’s trending certain is that many of us (us including me) swung and missed on this poll.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, real strong message sent.

So much for trying to get Elvis time as well. It's coming up on borderline insanity that Elvis has ZERO home starts - regular season or preseason. Outside of his debut, he's played as well or even better than Korpisalo, but is still getting ~25% of the starts. The goalie usage makes no sense to me.

You play to win the game. Korpisalo give the team a MUCH better chance to win hockey games.

The bolded is completely untrue. Merzlikins at his best, is average. At his worst, it is bad. He has serious technique issues at the NHL level.

Once again, Korpisalo is the real deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You play to win the game. Korpisalo give the team a MUCH better chance to win hockey games.

The bolded is completely untrue. Merzlikins at his best, is average. At his worst, it is bad. He has serious technique issues at the NHL level.

Once again, Korpisalo is the real deal.

Korpisalo is a .900 goalie. What are you talking about?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
D&S, while I agree with you that Elvis should be getting more starts, your rants come across as overly-anti-Korpi and with an agenda.

If you have watched the games, I think most would agree Korpi has played quite well of late and it is easy to argue the five guys in front of him have hung him out to dry way more than the average goalie should expect and that he has played better than his numbers.

Over his last six starts he has a .922 Save Percentage and 2.33 GAA. These are above average numbers...if he can remain consistent.

And if you really want to consider his numbers based on getting consistent starts then you have to go back to his rookie season when Bobs and C-Mac were injured and he went 16-11-4 with a 2.60 GAA and .920 Save Percentage. Cherry picking here but factor out his first six games that year when it was probably "holy crap I am in the NHL" and over his last 29 games he was 15-7-3 with a ~2.35 GAA and .927 Save Percentage.

Let me reiterate...I agree Elvis should be getting more of the starts. But no reason to tear Korpi down to make your point.

My post had two main points:
1) The confusing coaching decisions, both in regards to Merzlikins's time and the "teaching moment" for Korpisalo in which he simply...sat out a game he probably would have anyway.
2) The start split being heavily favored towards a below league average goalie when the other option is actually playing pretty well recently, too.

Nothing about the post is anti-Korpi.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Last 5 games he is a .915 which I believe is above league average. One bad game. You got to give him credit where credit is due. He's made some great stops to keep jackets in games.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Last 5 games he is a .915 which I believe is above league average. One bad game. You got to give him credit where credit is due. He's made some great stops to keep jackets in games.

I can also cherry pick a random number of games to make Elvis look good, too. Are we suddenly discounting how bad Korpi was in October?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
My post had two main points:
1) The confusing coaching decisions, both in regards to Merzlikins's time and the "teaching moment" for Korpisalo in which he simply...sat out a game he probably would have anyway.
2) The start split being heavily favored towards a below league average goalie when the other option is actually playing pretty well recently, too.

Nothing about the post is anti-Korpi.
Korpi sat out a game he was probably going to sit out anyway? IIRC, Elvis was more than implicitly sent to Cleveland for that CBJ road trip to get some playing time because Korpi was going to get all three starts (they were spread out so he could easily manage three in a row). In Tort's interview with BobbyMac he did not hesitate and specifically said Korpi was sitting because of his outburst in Colorado. Elvis was not supposed to get that start in Montreal.

The schedule is much tighter for the next ten days (Habs began a 7 games in 12 days stretch). Elvis will get a couple games here for sure. Perhaps the Jets on the road and either the Pens at home or Isles on the road. I am at the Barclays Center on the 30th. I have no preference who plays...just win baby!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can also cherry pick a random number of games to make Elvis look good, too. Are we suddenly discounting how bad Korpi was in October?

Can't completely ignore but he is playing well right now. Have to forgive and forget. Now if he reverts to October form that's another story. In the meantime he is earning the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Can't completely ignore but he is playing well right now. Have to forgive and forget. Now if he reverts to October form that's another story. In the meantime he is earning the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed.

It's time to run with Korposalo as the #1. Elvis should get the odd start here and there.

I'd give Korposalo ample leash at this point. So long as he doesn't break a stick in anger:sarcasm:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Merzlikins has a .919 save percentage in his last four appearances. Why hasn't he earned the benefit of the doubt to get more than 25% of the starts? Or, I don't know, get a start at home?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Merzlikins has a .919 save percentage in his last four appearances. Why hasn't he earned the benefit of the doubt to get more than 25% of the starts? Or, I don't know, get a start at home?
I'd say it's because Korpi has also earned the benefit of the doubt, and we're dealing with a "all other things equal, go with Korpi" situation.

Reactions: koteka and thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

His "career numbers" will improve every 10 or so games he plays this year.

Korpisalo has never looked as bad as Merzlikins has been in more than just the PIT game. And Merzlikins has never looked as good at his best that Korpisalo has looked at his best.

Another reminder that they are the SAME AGE.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'd say it's because Korpi has also earned the benefit of the doubt, and we're dealing with a "all other things equal, go with Korpi" situation.

The coaches know Korpi and have been with him for a few years. Elvis had been in Europe that time. Since they are relatively equal over their last few games, they are going with the guy they know. Makes since to me.

I don’t care who wins the job. I’d love it if they battled hard for the job, both look good, we end up trading 1 for a top forward prospect, and they both become the top 2 goalies of the 2020s and win multiple Veznas each.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
His "career numbers" will improve every 10 or so games he plays this year.

Korpisalo has never looked as bad as Merzlikins has been in more than just the PIT game. And Merzlikins has never looked as good at his best that Korpisalo has looked at his best.

Another reminder that they are the SAME AGE.

He's a .900 (well, now sub-.900) goalie *this* season, which is what I was referencing. He's actually better for his career, so through 16 starts he's brought his career average down.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He's a .900 (well, now sub-.900) goalie *this* season, which is what I was referencing. He's actually better for his career, so through 16 starts he's brought his career average down.

Good thing this is real life NHL hockey we are talking about not fantasy hockey.

Numbers and statistics do not tell the whole story and a lot of the time can easily be misinterpreted and/or misrepresented.

Korpisalo is the real deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Good thing this is real life NHL hockey we are talking about not fantasy hockey.

Numbers and statistics do not tell the whole story and a lot of the time can easily be misinterpreted and/or misrepresented.

Korpisalo is the real deal.

Not a single goalie who's been the "real deal" has floundered around ~.900 save % for five years and 100+ starts. He's been below average for four years running now and his only saving grace in the NHL were those ~20 some odd games he started as a rookie when Bob got hurt.

Continuing to repeat that he's the "real deal" doesn't make him so. He's still unable to perform at a league average level.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not a single goalie who's been the "real deal" has floundered around ~.900 save % for five years and 100+ starts. He's been below average for four years running now and his only saving grace in the NHL were those ~20 some odd games he started as a rookie when Bob got hurt.

Continuing to repeat that he's the "real deal" doesn't make him so. He's still unable to perform at a league average level.

I have similar thoughts on Korpi. He's not going to steal many games and too many WTF goals get by him. But he is still young, is capable of playing well at times and you can win games with him in goal. Maybe he has another level as @thebus88 seems to believe (I don't see it). CBJ brass are pinning their playoff hopes on Korpi being their starting goalie this year. Guess they are going to develop Elvis by being a backup in the NHL. Not a fan of the strategy. Seems that Elvis playing this year will depend on when Korpi needs a rest and/or where they sit in the standings. We will see how this plays out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Until shown otherwise, Korpisalo should be the main horse. I was in favor of splitting the workload and riding the hot hand, but Elvis deserves the 2 years ago Korpisalo treatment.

He can play 20ish games at the NHL level. Maybe more if he gets hot or Korpisalo struggles/gets injured.

He can be the main backup.

But when long stretches of inactivity occur due to korpisalo’s workload, or a decent break in the schedule happen, Elvis should be sent to Cleveland for playing time. Korpisalo dealt with this a few years ago, and it seemed to help him stay ready. Elvis needs reps, and he’s not good enough for consistent NHL minutes.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm still really not sure he's NHL material yet at this point, even as a backup, and I'm not hating. Very sketchy on the ice dealing with NHL players. The level of hockey and hockey player is simply different over here in the AHL and especially the NHL.

In hindsight, his "refusal" to begin his time in the AHL looks pretty laughable, eh?

Look at how different Korpisalo and Merzlikins have handled being the #2 guy, and how long have each guy had to do it for. Are we dealing with confidence or arrogance with Elvis? Another reminder that they are the same age and the amount of growth available is not much different, and 1 could even make the case that Korpisalo has MORE room for growth, as he's seemingly in the process of showing/proving to many CBJ fans that he can do what they said he cant not a very long time ago.

I could see this last game take some pressure, if there was any, off of Korpisalo and he very well could go on a run. Real deal.

Korpisalo >>> Merzlikins

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Order is clear. Korpi ---------------- others.

I have been always against Veini Vehviläinen and huge fan of Elvis but now, i hope they chance places. Veini has been really good in Cleveland and Elvis has been terrible in Columbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I went back and checked. Apparently I didn't vote. If I had I would have voted for Korpi. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad