CBJ Goalie Poll - 2019/2020 season

When the 82 game regular season is over, who will have started more CBJ games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
13 vs 44 :huh:

NEW POLL: Which number will be bigger, the amount of people who voted for Korpisalo in this poll or the amount of games Merzlikins starts in the NHL?

Making it too easy for me this year.

AGAIN.

Joonas Kropisalo

And mark my words, I'll be chastised in the future for being irked when people jump on the Korpisalo bandwagon.

Nothing tangible makes Merzlikins a better goalie or gives him more potential than Korpisalo.

I have a feeling this will 100 percent be a post that will be quoted often this year (more so after approximately december 1st)

Congrats, you had a prediction come true. :thumbu:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

NEW POLL: Which number will be bigger, the amount of people who voted for Korpisalo in this poll or the amount of games Merzlikins starts in the NHL?

check the GDT from last night; I admitted that I have been wrong about Korpi thus far.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Three wins - one of which had a good SV% - and you're already declaring victory?

By that logical standard, everyone in the "pro-Wennberg" camp should be chastising you for not believing in him.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
Three wins - one of which had a good SV% - and you're already declaring victory?

By that logical standard, everyone in the "pro-Wennberg" camp should be chastising you for not believing in him.
That’s normally the Korpi kiss of death. How many times last season did he declare Korpi the starter only to see Bob start the next stretch. Its going to take more than a few good games for me to buy in to Korpi. Let’s see where he is at the end of the month and maybe I’ll change my opinion a little.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Dude, we're still in October?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Shocking! A 25 year old GK goes directly from the Swiss league to the NHL and is found to have holes in his game. Crazy.

All jokes aside. 2 games in to Elvis’ NHL career and he still needs to adjust. I doubt he will look comfortable before New Years. They had to know brining him in like this would require patience. He really should be given a pass this entire season.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Given Elvis is a rookie I wouldn't be surprised if they send him down and give one of the other guys a try for a few games, and then let Elvis come back up...vehvilainen is a pretty good goalie too.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am not in the CBJ market so I don't hear all the scuttlebutt.

Korpi was PISSED after that third breakaway against which Gritty scored on. If I was him I would have been pissed too. Like "Daenerys on a Dragon" pissed.

Has there been much talk? Has Korpi talked to the media and was he honest or just towed the company line and said the right things? Just wondering where his head is at this moment. He's clearly the #1 to me but you don't usually see a goalie lose it like that when you know he isn't just flat out mad at himself.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpisalo shouldn't be starting 10 in 12 games. He's a sub-.900 goalie -> exactly who he's been the last 3+ years. The "starting more games will make him better" hasn't translated to being that much better. Meanwhile, we don't know if Elvis is any better because Torts won't play him, maybe because of his 7-goal debacle against Pittsburgh (who, btw, has done that to three others teams already!).

Reactions: Madifer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Korpisalo shouldn't be starting 10 in 12 games. He's a sub-.900 goalie -> exactly who he's been the last 3+ years. The "starting more games will make him better" hasn't translated to being that much better. Meanwhile, we don't know if Elvis is any better because Torts won't play him, maybe because of his 7-goal debacle against Pittsburgh (who, btw, has done that to three others teams already!).

Look at Korpi's save percentage game by game. He started rough, he kept playing, it went up. Five straight appearances above .900.

I'm not arguing that there's anything conclusive about that, it's far too early, but it sure doesn't look like your conclusion can be supported.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Look at Korpi's save percentage game by game. He started rough, he kept playing, it went up. Five straight appearances above .900.

I'm not arguing that there's anything conclusive about that, it's far too early, but it sure doesn't look like your conclusion can be supported.

He had four straight games above league average. Cool? Are we supposed to just ignore his first two outings and/or his last two? His last 68 games suggest he's a sub-.900, below average goalie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He had four straight games above league average. Cool? Are we supposed to just ignore his first two outings and/or his last two? His last 68 games suggest he's a sub-.900, below average goalie.

The point is that you should wait until you get a bigger sample. I'm not saying you should be leaving out this or that start, I'm saying if all it takes is leaving out this or that start to completely change his numbers, then it's way too early to be drawing firm conclusions.

And if you were actually honestly trying to answer the question of whether repeated starts makes Korpi better, then leaving out backup starts and the first couple starts of the year would be appropriate.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The point is that you should wait until you get a bigger sample. I'm not saying you should be leaving out this or that start, I'm saying if all it takes is leaving out this or that start to completely change his numbers, then it's way too early to be drawing firm conclusions.

And if you were actually honestly trying to answer the question of whether repeated starts makes Korpi better, then leaving out backup starts and the first couple starts of the year would be appropriate.

He has had 9 of the first 11 starts this year. That's repeated starts. He has a .896 save %.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has had 9 of the first 11 starts this year. That's repeated starts. He has a .896 save %.

Yes and believe it or not that's a very small sample and worth jack squat. The rank of goalies by save percentage in October is not going to be the same at the end of the year.

Bobrovsky had Mason-esque numbers in his first month in Columbus in 2013, sub .900, and we know how the rest of that year went.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Do you guys want Craig Anderson? Can be had for cheap and is a veteran starting goaltender. Now that Ottawa has a competent coach with a real system his numbers and play have returned. UFA at the end of the year, very little risk. Could probably be had for a 3rd rounder.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Do you guys want Craig Anderson? Can be had for cheap and is a veteran starting goaltender. Now that Ottawa has a competent coach with a real system his numbers and play have returned. UFA at the end of the year, very little risk. Could probably be had for a 3rd rounder.
No... that would waste a year of getting these players NHL action. They need it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Updating for current stats.

Just expanding on this (through 11/4/19), here are the goalie stats since McElhinney was waived:
-Sergei Bobrovsky: 96-59-13, 169 total appearances; .918 sv% (t-13), 2.48 GAA, 19 shutouts
-Curtis McElhinney: 38-24-5, 69 total appearances; .917 sv% (t-16), 2.61 GAA, 6 shutouts
-Anton Forsberg: 10-14-4, 36 total appearances; .906 sv% (t-52), 3.01 GAA, 0 shutouts
-Joonas Korpisalo: 30-25-6, 70 total appearances; .898 sv% (65), 3.09 GAA, 1 shutout

Limited sample size to goalies with 30+ games played, which is 70 goalies in that span. The only goalies behind Korpisalo in terms of save percentage are Peter Budaj (unsigned/retired), Calvin Pickard (AHL), Scott Darling (Austria), Antti Niemi (KHL), and Chad Johnson (unsigned/retired).

Last edited:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Elvis getting called up from the Monsters, 'cause Korpi is throwing some fits after goals.

Torts not happy with Korpi's attitude, making an example of him.....hope Elvis takes the reins, we need one of them to do it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Elvis getting called up from the Monsters, 'cause Korpi is throwing some fits after goals.

Torts not happy with Korpi's attitude, making an example of him.....hope Elvis takes the reins, we need one of them to do it.

So, in order we had:
1) Korpi throws on-ice outburst
2) Korpi apologizes to teammates on the plane afterwards
3) Torts/FO confirm they chatted with Korpi about it and made it clear it's not to happen again
4) Korpi does it again
5) Torts says they'll have to address it
6) They address it by...sitting Korpi one game after a long stretch when he probably would have sat anyway?

Yeah, real strong message sent.

So much for trying to get Elvis time as well. It's coming up on borderline insanity that Elvis has ZERO home starts - regular season or preseason. Outside of his debut, he's played as well or even better than Korpisalo, but is still getting ~25% of the starts. The goalie usage makes no sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad