CBJ Board Summer '18 Prospect Rankings: #7

Who's the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Robinson played really well in the prospects camp fwiw. Im sure he'll get a good look at camp.
He did, but he was also the oldest player there (excluding camp invites) by a couple years. And Howarth, who probably won't even make the top 20, wasn't far behind him.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong -- it's easy to look at Robinson's size, speed and skill and picture him as a middle-six winger -- but I'm just curious why people like him more than, say, Thurkauf, who's got a full year in the AHL under his belt and has looked great at two world juniors.

I haven't seen much and don't know much about Marchenko or Peeke, but from what I can see Peeke plays on 1 of the better NCAA teams in the nation (top-3-5-10 easy) and has a "good" two way game. ND just graduated their top scoring d man (roughly top 10 offensive d man league wide) who got a decent chunk of PP points, so I expect Peeke to get some more favorable offensive opportunities to pump up his numbers next year. Had the best +/- and 2nd most blocks on the team that lost in the national championship game. 4 (2+2) points out of his 14 on the PP.

Just from what little there is to see with his skating ability and offensive ability like puck control and passing it looks to be Peeke > Carlsson. I'm not a fan of Stenlund. People wanna talk about potential? "Ceiling"? Stenlund will be lucky to get to Sedlak level, imo. Same could be said for Carlsson and his lack of "ceiling".

I'm with you on Peeke. I like his ice vision, patience, hockey IQ, quickness... pretty much the whole package. His shot isn't elite and he's not going to be physically dominant, but as a right-handed puck mover, I think he's being undersold here. He's right in the top tier for me (which has about nine guys in it). I could honestly see an argument for him anywhere from #3 to #10. He's next on my list to vote for.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't argue with folks voting for Marchenko, because that kid could be anything.

But Peeke, in my view, is both (1) better currently than Stenlund/Carlsson, and (2) has a higher ceiling than Stenlund/Carlsson.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't argue with folks voting for Marchenko, because that kid could be anything.

But Peeke, in my view, is both (1) better currently than Stenlund/Carlsson, and (2) has a higher ceiling than Stenlund/Carlsson.
If you say so. I just think folks are giving up on Carlsson far too quickly.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

"If they hit their ceiling who is the most valuable NHLer?" was the prevailing question I asked myself when deciding on who to vote for (Marchenko) since none of these players are very established.

Marchenko could turn out to be mercurial, but I think he definitely has the highest ceiling of this group. Stenlund is a little bit of a long shot to have this role, but has the makings of a solid-yet-unspectacular middle 6 center. Peeke and Carlsson have similar ceilings, but I think Peeke has an edge there. Tarasov could be a #1 someday, but even #1 goalies in this league don't have a ton of value.

Still, all very close. For me, Marchenko is an easy choice as he's the only guy on this list considered to be a "steal" in the draft, in addition to his potential. Stenlund, Carlsson, and Peeke are basically neck-and-neck IMO, and round out the top-10 comfortably.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
"If they hit their ceiling who is the most valuable NHLer?" was the prevailing question I asked myself when deciding on who to vote for (Marchenko) since none of these players are very established.

Marchenko could turn out to be mercurial, but I think he definitely has the highest ceiling of this group. Stenlund is a little bit of a long shot to have this role, but has the makings of a solid-yet-unspectacular middle 6 center. Peeke and Carlsson have similar ceilings, but I think Peeke has an edge there. Tarasov could be a #1 someday, but even #1 goalies in this league don't have a ton of value.

Still, all very close. For me, Marchenko is an easy choice as he's the only guy on this list considered to be a "steal" in the draft, in addition to his potential. Stenlund, Carlsson, and Peeke are basically neck-and-neck IMO, and round out the top-10 comfortably.

Sleepin on Fortier. The guy posted very good numbers in his draft year, D+1 and D+2. Here's the article from The Athletic when he was at the habs rookie camp last summer.

Meet Maxime Fortier, the Canadiens' potential undrafted...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you say so. I just think folks are giving up on Carlsson far too quickly.

I agree, but even if I'm not giving up on him, I still see Carlsson as a #4 tops. He would need some kind of upside skill - like great passing, for me to think he could be worth more than that. "If he can learn x then he can deploy y". What is "y" for Carlsson?

Peeke is just better at this age, almost in every way. And I'm surprised to be reminded that Peeke is actually the younger defencemen - he's remarkably well rounded for a kid who just turned 20. How are we not talking about this kid more often?

To your point, do you remember the headaches that Trotz had when Ekholm was a rookie? Sometimes a big kid who can skate turns into something (I'm not implying that Carlsson has either the frame or mindset to be that beastly). You have to be patient with these defencemen, and Carlsson could even have another bad year or two and still turn into something useful.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To your point, do you remember the headaches that Trotz had when Ekholm was a rookie? Sometimes a big kid who can skate turns into something (I'm not implying that Carlsson has either the frame or mindset to be that beastly). You have to be patient with these defencemen, and Carlsson could even have another bad year or two and still turn into something useful.
Why yes. Yes I do. :) That's a large part of why I think folks are giving up too quickly. Nothing concrete; just a vague feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad