CBJ Board Summer '18 Prospect Rankings: #10

Who's the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Simply vote for the prospect you think is the best prospect of the above and vote who you would like to see added to the next poll from the choices below. This poll will be open 24 hours.

1. Vitaly Abramov| RW
2. Liam Foudy|C
3. Vladislav Gavrikov|D
4. Elvis Merzlikins|G
5. Alexandre Texier|C
6. Jonathan Davidsson|RW
7. Kirill Marchenko|RW
8. Andrew Peeke|D
9. Gabriel Carlsson|D

Added: Calvin Thurkauf

Emil Bemström (C)
Tim Berni (D)
Tyler Bird (RW)
Paul Bittner (LW)
Ryan Collins (D)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
Maxime Fortier (RW)
Kale Howarth (LW)
Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
Matiss Kivlenieks (G)
Ryan MacInnis (C)
Carson Meyer (RW)
Justin Scott (C/W)
Kole Sherwood (RW)
Blake Siebenaler (D)
Doyle Somerby (D)
Robbie Stucker (D)
Peter Thome (G)
Veeti Vainio (D)
Sam Vigneault (C)
Daniel Zaar (RW)

ADD
Bemstrom-5
Karlberg-6
Vigneault-3
Fortier-1
Sherwood-2

As of the wheelchair

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Kevin is ready to take care of those who is not voting for him!

giphy.gif

add Vigneault.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Kevin is ready to take care of those who is not voting for him!

giphy.gif

add Vigneault.
CBJ Depth Dive: Kevin Stenlund comes to North America,...

“I want to play one more season in Sweden to take ‘a full center’ spot,” Stenlund said in late June. “I want to grow as a player and as a person (this year) and take a spot (in Columbus) next season.”

After battling through an upper body injury earlier in the season, in 43 games with HV71, Stenlund went 7-15-22, making him the sixth-highest scoring player on his team. His assists and point totals were career highs.

While he may or may not make the team outta camp, I do believe he's bound for a big season in Cleveland. Especially with some combo of Abramov, Davidsson, Sherwood on his wings.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I don't know about Stenlund, y'all. I think he might have a decent season in the AHL and can still be a bottom 6 center.

I think most of us are sleeping on how great Thurkauf will be this year for Cleveland.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know about Stenlund, y'all. I think he might have a decent season in the AHL and can still be a bottom 6 center.

I think most of us are sleeping on how great Thurkauf will be this year for Cleveland.
I think Cleveland as a whole will look much better this season. Maybe not 15-16 good, but they'll be a lot better than last season, especially if Peeke comes in to finish the season similar to Werenski when he finished at Michigan.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I voted Thurkauf.

I'm not super confident in that, but I don't value any of the leftovers that highly from here on. In Thurkauf I see a fiery player that has a good chance to be a tough middle-six LW someday, and that's good enough.

Add Karlberg (To me he's like Marchenko, but a step back. Could be anything).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Stenlund, add Sherwood

I think Karlberg and Bemstrom are kinda mini-tier here but I really like Kole as perhaps a third, especially since, technically, we're looking at guys we'll rank in the 14-18 range. I definitely think Sherwood is one the team's top 20 prospects, and I'm having trouble sifting through the rest for fear of leaving someone out.

Which I guess is really the point of my post, that I'm realizing that we're not only adding "next" but we're starting to get close to locking in our 20, even if the order is TBD.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Vehvilainen, add Karlberg
I guess it should be the other way around since they drafter him before but I just really love Vehvilainen

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Add Bemstrom.

The next few adds (filling out the top 20) are going to be difficult. I like Bemstrom a bit -- he's shifty, has good hands, and is a very smart player. He was one of the most successful players his age in the Swedish second tier, and got picked up by Djurgarden, who finished second in the SHL last year. I think he's got a family connection there, but still, I don't think Djurgarden is going to pick up 19-year-olds if they don't think they can play. After him, there's a few guys I'm not really sure how to rank:

Karlberg - seems to be the consensus choice. Scouting reports and limited video suggest he's practically a clone of Cam Atkinson. Wasn't supposed to go anywhere near as high as he did, but I trust the Jackets' scouts, and with him being a teammate of Bemstrom at Leksand, it's likely they had more looks at him than pretty much everyone else.

Sherwood - Honestly, I pretty much wrote him off when he was sent to the OHL again. The highlights show all the tools are still there, and he certainly didn't have a disappointing year in Kitchener production-wise, but Cleveland was a really bad AHL team and if he couldn't make it there, it seems difficult for me to predict an NHL future for him at any point, particularly since his skillset isn't really geared toward a bottom-six role.

Vigneault - Very difficult for me to get a read on. I know some people who have seen him play a lot, and they have nothing but good things to say: high-character kid, strong work ethic, good size, good skater, some skill. But I'm still not entirely sure what to think -- he's never stood out to me watching development camp or the couple Monsters games I saw last season.

Howarth - He's very large, and quick for his size, and his hands aren't awful either. He put up huge numbers in the BCHL but that's not really saying much. Better than if he'd struggled, I guess. We'll see what he's got when he goes to UConn. He's also older than most of the people in his draft class, so that's worth keeping in mind as well. But you can't teach size and speed.

Stucker - Good size, good shot, good numbers in the USHL. Last I saw, though, he was completely raw in most facets of the game that weren't standing still at the offensive blue line and firing a shot on goal. His skating in particular looked to me like it needed a lot of work as of the start of last season. Maybe he's improved. Like Howarth, we'll know more once he gets to Minnesota.

Berni - I know almost nothing about the guy except that the scouting staff liked him enough to trade a future fifth-round pick to take him in the sixth.

Bittner - I don't even know, man. Wasn't embarrassing at Cleveland last year, but wasn't particularly good, either. I hope he can turn it around and be what we thought he'd be when he was drafted, but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

Thome - Goalies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: major major

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->