CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Think Lebron did them a favor tbh. Seems like its a good time to rebuild while no one can beat the Warriors.

Eh. Basketball wise yeah you have a point. But LeBron means so much to people in this state (and especially the NE Ohio region) that this is still a hit no matter what.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Urban has to go.

As an outsider and an admitted Michigan fan I find no solace in this alleged tragedy. The cover up is never worse than the act itself but it's a definite second. If the allegations end up being true, and these are serious allegations, than this is not a good look no matter how some will try to spin it. And there is plenty of blame to go around trying to cover it up. This had to be discussed at the highest levels.

Again these are allegations so I will wait until this all plays out before I jump to conclusions.

I hope in the future that lessons are learned and that the protection of the Sandusky's, Nassar's and potentially the Smith's of the world stop.

I am also proud of the local media who have unanimously condemned these alleged actions by all involved.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Urban has to go.

The tragedy in all of this is Earle Bruce apparently was involved - he asked the young lady to not press charges on at least one occasion.
Earle was a mentor to Urban. May tarnish 2 legacies.

If (big if) Urban did know he should lose his job. I love what he's done here. Frustrating thing is he was by far the worst coach on the staff, if it would have been a player he would have suspended him immediately (especially a low tier player). So to stand by and do nothing is disgusting.

I totally get what the Urban supporters are saying - she didn't press charges. Who cares. if you have someone working for you that abuses people I don't care how good they are at their job.

Good news for Urban - it frees him up to be the breakfast coach for Bob Evans :) (talk about bad timing for that campaign to start)

Reactions: Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Urban has to go.
Holding off on judgment myself until it's made clear that he genuinely did know, but it's not looking good. I mean, granted, the circumstances make it seem unlikely that he didn't, but I am already sick and tired of predatory columnists declaring that he absolutely 100% knew (with their evidence being that Shelley knew and nothing beyond that) and subsequently prematurely celebrating Buckeye doom and disaster, and so I'm already inclined to allow for whatever wiggle room is there because they're too damn eager to rile up the lynch mob.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Random thoughts on peripheral topics related to the Urban situation that are separate from the main issues of what should have happened to Zach Smith in the past and what should happen to Urban Meyer going forward:

- JD, you are right about Bob Evans - man, that's crazy bad timing for that ad campaign to start

- I don't really understand her parents actions in this - did they really prefer that their daughter just stayed quiet and not press charges after she told them about it?

- I'm surprised that the 2015 incident didn't get leaked to the press then as soon as the cops were called in. I wouldn't have thought something like this could happen to anyone associated with the Buckeyes and it not get out relatively quickly.

- Credit to McMurphy for breaking the story. The story was thorough but the headline of the report bugged me just in terms of journalistic style. While it is reasonable to assume that Urban knew, and I can't believe he didn't, just report the facts that you have and let the reader make their own assumptions. He had evidence that Shelley Meyer knew and that should have been the headline. Instead he stated that 'text messages show that Urban Meyer knew' and he has since stated that he doesn't have direct evidence that Shelley told Urban. Having evidence that Shelley acknowledged the situation in texts is a blockbuster in its own right, why try to over-reach by stating your belief as fact when there was no need to?

- I wonder how much sleep Michael Drake is going to get this week?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
- I don't really understand her parents actions in this - did they really prefer that their daughter just stayed quiet and not press charges after she told them about it?

This is what I don't understand either. Why wasn't Zach Smith never arrested? I think this is the biggest issue with society that guys like this aren't being prosecuted.

While I'm apt to believe Courtney Smith's side of the story, and it seems like from the text messages that there's a he said/she said type of thing (and how Urban would believe Zach's side of the story is beyond me), at no point was Zach Smith arrested.

People (even scum who beat their wives) are presumed innocent, so maybe Urban saves his job since the police never arrested Zach Smith. But he did lie about not knowing about the 2015 incident.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This is what I don't understand either. Why wasn't Zach Smith never arrested? I think this is the biggest issue with society that guys like this aren't being prosecuted.

While I'm apt to believe Courtney Smith's side of the story, and it seems like from the text messages that there's a he said/she said type of thing (and how Urban would believe Zach's side of the story is beyond me), at no point was Zach Smith arrested.

People (even scum who beat their wives) are presumed innocent, so maybe Urban saves his job since the police never arrested Zach Smith. But he did lie about not knowing about the 2015 incident.
Happens a lot that the woman drops the charges. Part of it is she has a family to support and Earle Bruce (father in law) and another guy at some point apparently reminded her that is she pressed charges her hsbands coaching career was over. So instead of having a nice lifestyle, that she would only be reliant on herself (keeping in mind his ability to earn $250k/year would be over) and getting half of what they had saved.
Again it's easy for us to say what she should have done. Most folks (especially on the internet) would never admit "I want to be the victim" but sadly there are people out there.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The lack of 2015 arrest and the fact the police were involved 9 times from 2012 on should indicate there's more to this.

Should it splash back to urban since the police were involved? Dunno.
But the current political climate says guilt in the public eye is a reason to fire.

It's the takes on Urban for second chances that spins it out of control. I understand fully why he does it (Utah kid suicide) and how even he had said he gave too many chances at Florida. Its a hard spot.

It's like the Duke lacrosse kids. They were guilty guilty guilty, but found innocent in court (good 30 for 30 in that).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

This all could or could not be true but it kind of sums up the questions in my mind.

Are coaches (employers) supposed to be judge, jury and executioners?

I am not in any way condoning abuse in any way, shape or form and Zach Smith probably deserved what he got but still in the legal system he is not accused.

The worse Urban Meyer is guilty of, as far as I can tell, is allegedly lying about knowing about the 2015 incident. To here is no hard evidence to prove he actually knew although I suspect he did.

I tend to be a bleeding heart liberal on most topics but this whole idea of "convicting" people of crimes they didn't commit but may have had knowledge of, and if they had knowledge of not reporting or acting on such info, costing them their careers is bothersome.

My hope in all of this is Meyer gets a 3 to 4 game suspension, maybe forfeits a bit more salary and avoid getting himself into this kind of mess in the future.

:dunno:

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I tend to be a bleeding heart liberal on most topics but this whole idea of "convicting" people of crimes they didn't commit but may have had knowledge of, and if they had knowledge of not reporting or acting on such info, costing them their careers is bothersome.

I feel the same way. And I'm frightened by the way social media works these days.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I really recommend the 30 for 30 fantastic lies to everyone for a really good look at the media run away and the law and how different they are

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I agree that facts and details obviously need to be sorted out and solidified.

However, he is the boss. If he did know and didn't act on it, that is a colossal failing at his job and I think it's reasonable that he loses it. He is as responsible for his employees as he is for those players. When they screw up, there are consequences.

If he knew more about Smith's issues and did nothing — he failed.

Reactions: pete goegan

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Are coaches (employers) supposed to be judge, jury and executioners?

There are Title IX violations that need to be reported. After what happened to Tressel, you'd think Urban would be more careful.

But we are only getting Courtney's side of this story. What I found curious about this is that Zach and Courtney were divorced, he got joint custody of the kids (where she could have presented evidence that she was abused and prevent him from being around the kids. She's got clear evidence). He was only arrested for violating the protection order due to a custody exchange that he claims she didn't show up for - then photographed him violating the protection order trying to take the kid home.

If there was this much drama with these two, it seemed obvious eventually something would happen which were public. Maybe it was a false allegation, but Title IX requires those to be reported. There should have been warning lights going off for anyone in the Athletic Department and Coaching Staffs aware of this situation if those rumors are true that this would explode in the media and make sure everything was reported.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete goegan

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
FB_IMG_1533332327046.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad