CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I agree with you on the Iowa loss. It certainly doesn't look good. But neither does playing Mercer in week 12 of the season, or having the 46th ranked SOS. OSU's is 24th, and for comparison's sake, Wisconsin is 50th - and they have played literally no one to this date.

NCAA College Football SOS Rankings & Ratings - Basic

But why should the SEC get two teams in the playoff? That conference, from top to bottom, is not what it used to be. It's Bama/Auburn/UGA at the top, and the rest are god awful. If anything, the ACC should get two teams in this year (not going to happen, either).

You answered your own question. We're at conference championship week and the SEC is sitting in three of the top six poll positions. Only one of those is guaranteed to fall.

A lot of the college football media still bow down to the SEC altar as the best conference. Its conference members have historically been given passes on scheduling on the grounds that OMG THE CONFERENCE IS SOOOO TOUGH. Hell, they got two teams in the Championship Game back in the old system. In the past decade especially SEC teams get passes that teams in other conferences don't often do. I definitely don't think it's right or warranted — I don't think ANY conference should claim two spots in a four spot playoff — but if you ask me which conference will be the first to get two teams into a four team playoff, I would wager everything I have on the SEC.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
So, the Browns fire Sashi Brown. That is a good thing. But, they are bringing Hue Jackson back for the 2018 season. In my book this is a bad thing. Here is the thing. The guy is 1-27, which I believe is the all time NFL record for coaching futility, at least for a coach starting out. Granted, the guy has to coach the players he is given, but anyone that has been watching the Browns knows that some of the blame for this dreadful record falls on the shoulders of Jackson. He has made some mind boggling play calls, and his clock management is probably the worst that I have ever seen. I see zero chance that the Browns turn things around next season since with all of their draft picks they probably get even younger. Perhaps, though, a new head coach might bring them a few wins that Jackson would otherwise not bring them.

Who knows. The Browns beat goes on.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Not a Browns fan. But the GM move was necessary. How do 31 other teams, scouts, prospects, and current players go into next season if the AJ McCarron trade fiasco is essentially blessed. Keeping the coach also the right move. At some point you have to drive the stake in the ground and decide who is going to get it done.

If I was the owner, I would get tired of paying ex-coaches.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Major props to the one fan in the stands of last night's D-III Alonzo Stagg Bowl game rocking the #SaveTheCrew sign every time the cameras were on the crowd.

Your passion inspires me even if your sport does not.

Reactions: Ar-too and Viqsi

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Irony Alert!!!!!!!

In 2008, the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. They followed that with a 0-16 regular season record.

Fast forward 9 years. The Cleveland Browns are two steps away from going 0-16. Care to guess what their preseason record was this year?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Irony Alert!!!!!!!

In 2008, the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. They followed that with a 0-16 regular season record.

Fast forward 9 years. The Cleveland Browns are two steps away from going 0-16. Care to guess what their preseason record was this year?

And also the top consensus QB prospect Josh Rosen reportedly plans to stay at UCLA if the Browns want to pick him.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
"Personal foul, late hit, Ohio State... Unsportsmanlike Conduct, USC... Personal foul, No. 21 on USC is disqualified... and, uh... f*** it, those all offset."

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Major props to the one fan in the stands of last night's D-III Alonzo Stagg Bowl game rocking the #SaveTheCrew sign every time the cameras were on the crowd.

Your passion inspires me even if your sport does not.

There was someone in the stands yesterday in Pittsburgh during the Browns-Steelers game with what looked to be a scarf with "Save the Crew" on it. Caught a flash of it during a quick crowd shot of the Steeler fans waving their Terrible Towels.

Boy, I'd hate to be Corey Coleman this morning. Can we add "The Drop" to the long list of Cleveland's sports frustrations? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ar-too

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Those last 3 Browns drives against the Steelers was their entire season in a nut shell. Fumble - interception - dropped pass. The only way that season could end.

Utter futility.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I flipped over to the LSU-ND game on six occasions only to tune into commercials every time. Was there really a game being played?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I've had the same issue with the Peach Bowl (UCF-Auburn).

By the way, there is a Notre Dame-LSU game being played. I've managed to flip to that one when they were playing football.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Georgia-Oklahoma a classic. I don't think the Bucks would have scored against either of them. Maybe the D could have held them to under 30.

Watching those 2 teams and I imagine Clemson-Alabama reinforces my thought that Meyer needs to turn his offensive staff loose and let the highly touted recruits show what they have. Otherwise I see a slow slide to out of the discussion as to who is the best football team.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
That Rose Bowl was absolutely one of the Top 10 most enjoyable football games I have ever watched in my life.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->