CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I mean...the CDC just recently updated their guidance. This is a new virus, remember. Why is it weird that the Big Ten - the conference with the strictest protocols to begin with - update their policy to adapt to the new medical guidance from the CDC? Maybe it's changed, but I thought the Big Ten was one of the only conferences mandating cardiac testing to find any myocarditis (which, btw, appears to have been overblown in the offseason - it's not zero, of course...I feel awful for that kid on Florida's basketball team).

College football needs a big time overhaul. Why TF is Notre Dame coasting into the playoffs following a 24-point beat down? There has never been a team that has gotten into the CFP following a conference championship game loss, if memory serves (I may be wrong). Anyway, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina got shafted. THREE LOSS Iowa State ahead of CCU? Come on. Coastal beat five teams with winning records, including two in the top 20. Indiana beat one team with a winning record, but they're ahead of them?

It was a weird season, sure, but these rankings are a joke. Just bring the damn computers and the BCS back.

Reactions: Viqsi

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I mean...the CDC just recently updated their guidance. This is a new virus, remember. Why is it weird that the Big Ten - the conference with the strictest protocols to begin with - update their policy to adapt to the new medical guidance from the CDC? Maybe it's changed, but I thought the Big Ten was one of the only conferences mandating cardiac testing to find any myocarditis (which, btw, appears to have been overblown in the offseason - it's not zero, of course...I feel awful for that kid on Florida's basketball team).

College football needs a big time overhaul. Why TF is Notre Dame coasting into the playoffs following a 24-point beat down? There has never been a team that has gotten into the CFP following a conference championship game loss, if memory serves (I may be wrong). Anyway, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina got shafted. THREE LOSS Iowa State ahead of CCU? Come on. Coastal beat five teams with winning records, including two in the top 20. Indiana beat one team with a winning record, but they're ahead of them?

It was a weird season, sure, but these rankings are a joke. Just bring the damn computers and the BCS back.

Yeah I hope Keyontae is ok when all is said and done.

You left out of your argument for UC and CCU that before the rules were changed for OSU, they, like Indiana only beat 1 team with a winning record o_O;):laugh:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I feel like Clemson is our biggest non-conference rival now.

We've never beaten them in four meetings, the last three coming in a 7-year span.

The three close games ended when a game-winning drive stalled by way of an interception. But unlike Hayes, Meyer and Day never threw any punches, knowing that would get them fired like it did Hayes.

Hayes remains the last OSU coach to start 1-0 (over 65 years ago) as a result of his unsportsmanlike move putting a curse on the program, wherein all his successors started 0-1 in bowls.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I feel that if the Bengals had fired Lewis after that horrible 2015 playoff loss to Pittsburgh, they might have made their next playoff appearance sooner (perhaps under Brian Kelly). They are in the position they are now because they held on to Lewis too long.

This is why you cannot think constant failure in the postseason is OK (the Bengals were 0-7 in the playoffs under Lewis, including two losses to Pittsburgh at home, overall since the 1990 NLCS Ohio teams are 0-7 in postseason rounds against Pittsburgh teams, losing to the eventual champions in the case of the 2005 Bengals and 2017 Blue Jackets, the latter starting a trend of the Jackets losing to the eventual champions, something that never happened before 2017 and bucked only in 2019).

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
In the Reds' Game 6 win against the Pirates in the 1990 NLCS, Reds right fielder Glenn Braggs caught a fly ball hit by Carmelo Martínez over the fence for the second out of the inning. If Braggs had not been fast enough, Martinez would have hit a go-ahead home run.

So I call the 7-round losing streak of Ohio teams to Pittsburgh teams over the next 30 years the Curse of Carmelo Martinez.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Furthermore, I call the inability of the Bengals to return to the playoffs since that game the Curse of Vontaze Burfict, referring to the player who committed a key personal foul late in the game that helped put the Steelers into field goal range.

Burfict did not learn his lesson and would be suspended twice in the next four years for on-field conduct, including a suspension with the Raiders that lasted the last 12 games of the 2019 season, the longest suspension for on-field conduct in NFL history. This may have effectively ended his career, similar to what happened to Marty McSorley in 2000, as he has not played a down in 2020.

Reactions: thebus88

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
UC lost because their linemen can’t figure out how to stay onside. All the defensive guys have to do is watch the ball. All the offensive guys have to do is hear the snap count, the QB clap, or watch the ball. Offsides on both sides of the ball cost them field position and, ultimately, the game. Too bad an excellent effort was wasted.

Oh, And I hate the way the modern player calls attention to himself for every play, no matter how insignificant. Yes, I’m old.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Cincinnati played not to lose. You run the ball on third down, take all the clock you can, and then go for it. If you wanted to do the third down play on fourth down, fine, but run the ball on third.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

giphy.gif

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
We're a 7.5 point dog with 75 O/U. It's gonna be a track meet.

I think we have the horses to keep up. Here's to hoping the defense plays with the same tenacity they did Saturday

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We're a 7.5 point dog with 75 O/U. It's gonna be a track meet.

I think we have the horses to keep up. Here's to hoping the defense plays with the same tenacity they did Saturday

Can anybody in college football tackle? That would seem to me to be where the difference could be. That and turnovers, which are unpredictable.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Various message board rumors that the national title game may end up being delayed due to more covid issues at Ohio State. A couple D-linemen have allegedly tested positive, though in the past when that has happened the team has shut down practice or worn masks. Pictures showed a maskless practice yesterday, so who knows?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Can anybody in college football tackle? That would seem to me to be where the difference could be. That and turnovers, which are unpredictable.

The game has rapidly changed in the last ten years. Think of Alabama in...was it 2009? They were all about the ground game and controlling the game and then suffocating you on defense. Now? They're practically the Air Raiders and don't care (to the extent that it affects winning the game) if they give up 46 points or 500 yards of offense to their opponent. And they're the standard bearers in college football!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The game has rapidly changed in the last ten years. Think of Alabama in...was it 2009? They were all about the ground game and controlling the game and then suffocating you on defense. Now? They're practically the Air Raiders and don't care (to the extent that it affects winning the game) if they give up 46 points or 500 yards of offense to their opponent. And they're the standard bearers in college football!

Although I don't watch much college football, I do know there's been a sea change in how it's played at the highest level. That's what makes me think that if one side can get a couple stops, that could be the difference. Like a service break in tennis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad