CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Obviously I have a bit of bias, but OSU signed on for minimum of 6 games to qualify...B1G told Nebraska, Wisconsin, and who else no to rule changes...

The main thing is the lack of ...um fortitude the NCAA has to not step in here...I think an OSU/TamU game is a very fair deal as a play in game...earn your shot and meet the 6 games

Look at it from the Big 10 perspective. If you don't let OSU play in the B10 Championship game there is a fair chance they don't get invited to the Championship (If Florida beats Bama is a good example in SEC Championship game) then how much money does that cost the B10?
Yes Indiana would love to play in the B10 Championship game - but Indiana-Northwestern won't excite many people, especially with Indiana losing their QB.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
These things are both true:

1. The rules are arbitrary and have been made up on the fly this whole season. (They changed quarantine time, for example).

2. That sucks for teams that aren't OSU and people who don't like OSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkandStormy

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I've not liked the canceling and moving of college and pro games. I think they should have to play with what they have and if you can't field a team you forfeit. That would be some real motivation there.

(I know they'll argue the cancelations are for health purposes not competitive. But that's BS. The concern for health call would have been no season.)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Obviously I have a bit of bias, but OSU signed on for minimum of 6 games to qualify...B1G told Nebraska, Wisconsin, and who else no to rule changes...

The main thing is the lack of ...um fortitude the NCAA has to not step in here...I think an OSU/TamU game is a very fair deal as a play in game...earn your shot and meet the 6 games

The NCAA does not govern the conferences. TAMU already said they wouldn't be interested in playing.

If Ohio State lost by 99 to Michigan this weekend, they still would have won the Big Ten East. They were the only team to have multiple games canceled this season due to *other teams* having covid issues.

Indiana, btw, has paused team activities due to covid cases, so they might not have even been available to play in the Big Ten Championship game anyway.

This season has been mostly dumb, a lot of it the Big Ten shooting itself in the foot, but putting Ohio State in the conference championship is the right call. If IU had beat Ohio State, then there's no discussion. But they lost head to head and OSU had to cancel two games due to other teams and one due to their own covid situation (IU now has canceled a game due to their own covid situation).

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Granting the OSU the right to play in a mythical B1G championship is not a concern to me even with the "bending" of the rules. The problem that I have is why are they playing in the first place and why are these young amateurs being put in a position of playing a game in which the only pockets being lined are those of the university and sports bookies. College football/sports isn't that important to put people at risk of getting sick. It's disappointing.

Reactions: pete goegan

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Granting the OSU the right to play in a mythical B1G championship is not a concern to me even with the "bending" of the rules. The problem that I have is why are they playing in the first place and why are these young amateurs being put in a position of playing a game in which the only pockets being lined are those of the university and sports bookies. College football/sports isn't that important to put people at risk of getting sick. It's disappointing.

The players could have opted out (and some did if they had pre existing conditions). We saw pre-season 2 of OSUs best players opted out and then when the Big 10 finally announced a schedule they both opted in.
We're seeing every week teams have issues and 2 weeks later everything is fine. Best of my knowledge there isn't many players getting sick who aren't 100% after 14 days (meaning not dying and no long lasting health complications).

Now again folks with pre-existing conditions and older coaches may be different. But the usual D1 athlete is pretty elite specimen.

Also keep in mind if it wasn't for the football and basketball teams playing you would have a lot of other sports that would be cut. Those funds (majority) go to fund other NCAA sports So if it wasn't for those guys you could kiss most baseball, softball, hockey, wresting, track, swimming and diving programs good bye. Some schools (look around the MAC) are already making cuts to baseball programs.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I get that, and it's probably where I'm at, but....

-The only people "vulnerable" here are the coaches. I've seen no reports of college athletes (football players at least) dying of covid. A small handful have developed myocarditis, which is certainly unfortunate (and also happens - usually at a lesser rate, though I think data is somewhat murky on it - after other viruses as well). They may recover, we don't know yet.
-I disagree with conferences allowing x% of fans into the game to watch - even if sitting outdoors and spaced is safe, they're still congregating in the restrooms and whatnot.
-The kids would have lost out on an entire year of development, which is huge for their NFL chances, which, in turn, is their big chance to cash in on their athletic ability.
-They are probably safer being in their football "bubble" so to speak than being regular college students. They are afforded resources, like weekly testing, that they otherwise would not get. And they know if they go out or to house parties and catch covid, they could bring it back to their team and spread it and get things shut down for a few weeks. Obviously they can't just be hermits but I get the sense they are being safer than the average college student.
-Look at some of the non-Power 5 schools and what they've had to do with athletics. Some departments are just absolutely gutted. Some schools are no longer going to be fielding some types of teams. There are no good answers here. Football at Ohio State, and most schools, funds the rest of the athletic department. By playing, they're at least picking up some TV money (and as mentioned, other schools are still getting a sliver of the gate money as well).

I agree, it does seem dumb to be playing, but I think they are doing it about as safe as possible (Ohio State/Big Ten at least) and it appears, for now, the supposed ~15% of athletes developing myocarditis post-covid was overblown.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Also keep in mind if it wasn't for the football and basketball teams playing you would have a lot of other sports that would be cut. Those funds (majority) go to fund other NCAA sports So if it wasn't for those guys you could kiss most baseball, softball, hockey, wresting, track, swimming and diving programs good bye. Some schools (look around the MAC) are already making cuts to baseball programs.

Some colleges axing "secondary sports" like gymnastics and tennis as pandemic continues - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Reactions: JacketsDavid

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This doesn't lead me to the conclusion that we must continue NCAA football in order to fund other sports and programs in colleges/universities, it leads me to the conclusion that the system is broken.

And then you add on what the whole Felicity Huffman / Lori Laughlin scandal has shown about certain college sports...

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We're seeing every week teams have issues and 2 weeks later everything is fine. Best of my knowledge there isn't many players getting sick who aren't 100% after 14 days (meaning not dying and no long lasting health complications).

Now again folks with pre-existing conditions and older coaches may be different. But the usual D1 athlete is pretty elite specimen.

-The only people "vulnerable" here are the coaches. I've seen no reports of college athletes (football players at least) dying of covid. A small handful have developed myocarditis, which is certainly unfortunate (and also happens - usually at a lesser rate, though I think data is somewhat murky on it - after other viruses as well). They may recover, we don't know yet.

I agree, it does seem dumb to be playing, but I think they are doing it about as safe as possible (Ohio State/Big Ten at least) and it appears, for now, the supposed ~15% of athletes developing myocarditis post-covid was overblown.

I would be less concerned if these spreads were contained amongst the teams. But the data on Covid spread doesn't reflect that on a global basis. This is spreading like wildfire and young healthy people have been known to be asymptomatic carriers of the disease. Yes, they may have had none or slight complications and are fine now. Grateful for that. But who did they come into contact with. And who did those people come into contact with. And who did those people come into contact with...And...And....

That's been the problem.

I'm not trying to change anybody's minds on this. In fact Im gonna bug out of the conversation after this post. I also respect everyone's rights and love of sport in general. I just find it hard to see how playing college football/sports is an essential activity during a global pandemic that has killed almost 300k people in our country (and rising quickly) to make millions of dollars for college universities that pay their coaches like like they are the ones solving this global pandemic.

Reactions: db2011

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Damn straight. These schools are axing programs despite football being played. It's bullshit.
To attempt to be fair, they're still seeing considerably reduced revenues from the games because of the lack (or near-lack) of fans, and that would have an impact on the bottom line.

...that said, "eliminating indefinitely" rather than "suspending for the duration" sticks in my craw.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To attempt to be fair, they're still seeing considerably reduced revenues from the games because of the lack (or near-lack) of fans, and that would have an impact on the bottom line.

...that said, "eliminating indefinitely" rather than "suspending for the duration" sticks in my craw.

Which speaks to the broken system Monk was talking about. I mean, I watch a decent amount of CFB too, and I'm no pollyanna (although I'm sure there are some who would disagree, and I'm damned sure still an idealist), but that we have to bend over backward for revenue-generating sports in order to even consider other endeavors means universities are doing things ass-backward, IMO.

And yes, I understand "the reality of the situation." In fact, I'm acutely aware of it, because the "reality of the situation" is what is broken.

Also, no I'm not interested in a conversation about paying college athletes, and not because I do or don't support the notion. But because it misses the point.

Reactions: Monk

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
You know what I'm going to say, don't you?

Yes, I do believe that qualifies as a MASSIVE victory!

Welcome back to the stage of MASSIVE!

Was wondering if any of you fine gentleman could send me a copy of today's dispatch? I have copies of the Ohio championship newspapers framed & hung in my man cave, but kind of hard to get copies of them down here in GA.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Cleveland baseball team is getting rid of the Indians nickname.

They have been due for a new look for years.

So, they should adopt a new look that honors Cleveland's entire sports history - navy blue would be kept, the shade of red used would be changed to wine as used by the Cavaliers, and gold would also be added from the Cavaliers alongside brown and orange from the Browns. The new name I have proposed is Barons after various hockey teams that once played in the city.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As a non baseball fan, I still think Cleveland Tribe makes the most sense. Inoffensive, close enough to tradition, and most people call them this anyway.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm all for "Spiders" or "Napoleons" myself. The latter because it's been done before and the former because it seems popular and it's relatively unique.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
1st half: Grrr, missing players, rabble rabble, this sucks, grumble, FTS, offense can't do anything...

2nd half: Trey Sermon Breaks Eddie George's single-game rushing record!!!

Me: ...WTF? How?!

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad