CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I wouldn't consider myself a hardliners against public money being used, it depends entirely on the deal, but this detail caught my eye.

But according to the Dispatch, the purchase agreement contained a promise to keep the team in Columbus for at least 10 years. Critically, it included an out clause in case Precourt wanted to move the team to Austin.

It sounds like his mind is made up and barring a deal that would probably end up being very unfavorable to local government, he doesn't want to stay.

I don't see this having a happy ending for Crew fans.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When you come to RBA next year I want to convince the ESC to do a tifo that reads "Precourt Burn In Hell, Keep the Crew in Columbus!!!". Seriously, the guy is pure scum.

Reactions: Viqsi

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
No way this ends well for Crew fans. I've been involved with soccer my whole life and have been going to games since their first year. I know now how Browns fans felt when they left.

Looking back over the actions of the past few years, it's clear that Precourt was going to move the team as soon as it was reasonably possible. What the point in playing here next year? GTFO now if you are going.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I wouldn't consider myself a hardliners against public money being used, it depends entirely on the deal, but this detail caught my eye.

It sounds like his mind is made up and barring a deal that would probably end up being very unfavorable to local government, he doesn't want to stay.

I don't see this having a happy ending for Crew fans.

Yeah, when I first heard the news, I was ready to make my Columbus fans are too damn spoiled rant. Cuyahoga and Hamilton county residents pay extra taxes for their teams, and Columbus residents get the entire state to pay for the team that most of them care about. Why can't they support their soccer and hockey teams that the rest of the state doesn't have blah, blah, blah

But... that doesn't sound like the case at all. Sounds like from the time he purchased the team his plan was to move it. From the initial purchase deal which gave him this out clause, to the TV deal soon after which alienated half of the fanbase which didn't have Time Warner Cable and thus couldn't see the games that were blacked out. His plan hasn't been to grow soccer in Columbus, or in the state, but rather kill it so that he can make the move. Expansion fee was 100 Million, so buy a team for 60, make outrageous demands and move. Sure you have to pretend to like a city for a couple years, but you save $40 million, and get to crush the hearts of thousands and thousands of fans. What a deal!

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm not a soccer or Columbus Crew fan.. But, I definitely feel for the Crew fans.. Couldn't imagine how I would feel if this were to happen to the Blue Jackets.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Seems to me that when that guy bought the team, marketing them became non-existent. Unless they were advertising on stations that I rarely watch.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I just read the Dispatch article. My God. This may be the sleaziest scummiest thing in the history of MLS and think of the ground that covers.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
And dots are still being connected. Will likely get far more sickening.

I feel the worst for season ticket holders. The deadline for 2018 was moved up, credit cards were charged then 24 hours later this news breaks and no refunds.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
And dots are still being connected. Will likely get far more sickening.

I feel the worst for season ticket holders. The deadline for 2018 was moved up, credit cards were charged then 24 hours later this news breaks and no refunds.

The owner appears to be getting his ideas from the villain in Major League

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If you are the slightest bit squeamish, do NOT watch the video of Boston Celtics Gordon Hayward's absolutely horrific injury against the Cavs tonight.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thoughts are with Gordon Hayward. Obviously that was tough to see. Hope he recovers and returns to the court.

Anyway, not to tell people what to do, but I don't understand the booing of Kyrie Irving. No Kyrie, no title in 2016. Yeah, the exit wasn't the best and he did want out. But this was a LeBron 2010 thing, he requested a trade and the Cavs got some pieces back. I didn't like the deal, but they did get deeper. I think they should have aired the tribute, and I think the fans should have applauded Kyrie.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Thoughts are with Gordon Hayward. Obviously that was tough to see. Hope he recovers and returns to the court.

Anyway, not to tell people what to do, but I don't understand the booing of Kyrie Irving. No Kyrie, no title in 2016. Yeah, the exit wasn't the best and he did want out. But this was a LeBron 2010 thing, he requested a trade and the Cavs got some pieces back. I didn't like the deal, but they did get deeper. I think they should have aired the tribute, and I think the fans should have applauded Kyrie.

I purposefully have not watched the Hayward replay - too many sprained ankles of my own have me throwing up just thinking/reading about his injury. Godspeed to him for full recovery.

Normally, I would agree...but the statement that Kyrie made (not a precise quote) that [wow, I'm in Boston, a real sports town].
He asked for it.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
And it very well could.

Every arena/stadium gets old. Every team can have a bad season leading to decreased attendance. Tax breaks end. Investors and sponsors leave. Owners see better results (business metrics) elsewhere and want them.

Just be thankful the CBJ are probably more solid than ever with good people and players you can either relate to or identify with and ownership willing to make changes (by Saad).

Formerly 18,136
Jun 24, 2012
Just read Arace's column today. The rumor about if he can't pout his way into his preferred Austin locale then he may sell to a losing expansion city is mind blowing. Reeks of using his position on the expansion committee to enrich himself.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Just read Arace's column today. The rumor about if he can't pout his way into his preferred Austin locale then he may sell to a losing expansion city is mind blowing. Reeks of using his position on the expansion committee to enrich himself.

I don't consider myself a crew fan, or a soccer fan for that matter, but I can think of a couple local business owners who have strong roots in Columbus and may have a few million dollars laying around to keep the team in here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't consider myself a crew fan, or a soccer fan for that matter, but I can think of a couple local business owners who have strong roots in Columbus and may have a few million dollars laying around to keep the team in here
Apparently he was offered $75m for a 50% stake in the club by local folks (about $7m more than he paid) and said no unless they made it a 49% stake - read: he'll happily take the money but still gets to still decide to relocate the team.

We really are getting the Art Modell treatment here.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
From what I have heard, there is no stadium in Austin yet, and there is some difficulty in securing land for a possible stadium. Not only that, but people in Austin are as against using taxpayer funds to build a stadium as much as people here are against it. Anyone else hear this?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From what I have heard, there is no stadium in Austin yet, and there is some difficulty in securing land for a possible stadium. Not only that, but people in Austin are as against using taxpayer funds to build a stadium as much as people here are against it. Anyone else hear this?

I lived there for 6 years. I can assure you they are probably more against it than the folks in Columbus. Plus land for a downtown arena wouldn't be cheap, if available at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad