CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm just a casual fan of OSU (even though I was a student there for a while). Not a die-hard Buckeyes fan but I casually follow them and watch a few games a year. That said, I was rather surprised about my attitude towards this whole debacle.

First, I don't like to jump to conclusions. The articles written about this situation bother me when they assume that Courtney Smith is automatically telling the truth. I also am hesitant to fall into the trap that we see some other college towns fall into (particularly Southern ones where football is a religion) which is to completely discredit the potential victim and close the wagons around the coach or star player. That's why I'm skeptical of the reports from Courtney Smith's mother and the report that the Powell PD essentially told her to stop calling with bogus claims. But I also don't feel like Urban Meyer "owed" Courtney Smith an apology unless Meyer knew that she was indeed being abused.

Second, I recognize that there's a barrier between life at home and life at work. An employer can't/shouldn't fire an employee just for what the employee does at home in private. In order to fire, the employee's actions must either: 1. Be within the scope of employment; 2. Reflect negatively upon the institution; or 3. Be illegal. I think the alleged domestic violence is outside of Zach Smith's scope of employment as a football coach, it didn't reflect negatively upon OSU until it was uncovered publicly, and because there was no conviction it wasn't illegal. That's why, I think, he wasn't fired until recently. It's also what separates this situation from, say, the Jim Tressel one where Tressel was actively helping conceal illegal activity.

Third, I don't think anyone outside of the committee is operating with a full set of facts. Hence, we are probably poor judges of their decision. But to me, it seems like the inappropriate picture taken at the White House and the relationship with an OSU employee are more fireable offenses than the alleged abuse. That's because they occurred while he was acting in his role as an OSU employee and a public act like his pictures reflect negatively upon OSU almost immediately.

Finally, it was stupid of Urban Meyer to lie at the media day. Either tell the truth or stay quiet. The speed at which people discovered that he was indeed made aware makes me wonder why he thought he could get away with it.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Is this the year coach for life Generalisimo Marvin finally wins us a playoff game? Been a long time since December of 1990 against the Cody Carlson led Oilers at Riverfront, the last Bengals playoff victory. Note that both the Oilers and Riverfront no longer even exist.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just frustrating that Eifert is injury prone.

I went to the game against Baltimore on Thursday night, and sat next to his best friends and immediate family. All rocking fake mullets to gig their son/friend/sibling. It was funny. They were good people, and I hope Eifert has a speedy and healthy recovery. Its a shame, they were really excited to see what he was going to do this year.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Lots of #SavetheCrew chatter happening right now and the official-as-it-can-be Save the Crew movement Twitter and Facebook have changed their profile pix to "Saved the Crew".

I saw in the Browns subReddit just now that Jimmy Haslam is going to purchase the Crew. It's being described as what happened with the Browns, that all of the history of the franchise/colors etc. stay in Columbus but the "team" moves to Austin or wherever. But in this case, the players are also staying? That's what's being talked about there. Which, if that's what happens, is definitely very cool I think.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I saw in the Browns subReddit just now that Jimmy Haslam is going to purchase the Crew. It's being described as what happened with the Browns, that all of the history of the franchise/colors etc. stay in Columbus but the "team" moves to Austin or wherever. But in this case, the players are also staying? That's what's being talked about there. Which, if that's what happens, is definitely very cool I think.

Yeah presser in a few minutes but based on the chatter, if it holds up, it would be more like awarding Precourt an expansion franchise than anything.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Hopefully the reborn Crew aren't as lifeless as the reborn Browns are.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Hopefully the reborn Crew aren't as lifeless as the reborn Browns are.

I shouldn't really even bother to give this remark of yours the benefit of a response (/s) but there's a big difference if the players stay. Like DSL says, it sounds like what's really happening is that Precourt is getting an expansion and a coach (who's probably not staying anyway) but no players. If that's how it had gone down with the Browns, then the Ravens would have been the expansion, not the "reborn Browns".

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I shouldn't really even bother to give this remark of yours the benefit of a response (/s) but there's a big difference if the players stay. Like DSL says, it sounds like what's really happening is that Precourt is getting an expansion and a coach (who's probably not staying anyway) but no players. If that's how it had gone down with the Browns, then the Ravens would have been the expansion, not the "reborn Browns".

If you don't think having to start from scratch played a role in the Browns Brownsing (Chris Palmer still may be the worst coach in Browns history and that's really saying something) for the last 20ish years, I don't know what to tell you but for a less loaded example, look at how Dougie Maclean effed it up. Thankfully, it doesn't sound like MLS is going to go the Browns route.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If you don't think having to start from scratch played a role in the Browns Brownsing (Chris Palmer still may be the worst coach in Browns history and that's really saying something) for the last 20ish years, I don't know what to tell you but for a less loaded example, look at how Dougie Maclean effed it up. Thankfully, it doesn't sound like MLS is going to go the Browns route.

I think you're misunderstanding me. The Crew don't have to start from scratch under the rumored scenario. All the other stuff you're saying, I agree with- which is why the players staying is a big difference.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
"That plan had discussed building a training facility near Ohio State. But since the Haslams now will own an MLS team and NFL team, figuring out a Columbus plan for the Browns may be easier. Part of the sale announced Friday includes a plan for a downtown stadium in Columbus and practice facilities."

Sounds like he is going to get a sweet taxpayer-funded stadium.

Unless, of course, I am mistaken.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What is the purpose of all that paperwork?

There’s probably a mess of how to track franchises from a business standpoint. It would end up that way effectively, but to make it happen is probably a shitload of paperwork. Like, Haslam will pay the expansion fee but Precourt will build his franchise from the ground up. Also there may be stadium and league issues.

tl;dr — dunno

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not a Crew fan but good for fans of the team and the city of Columbus. Even if that means Jimmy Haslam is the owner.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Have the Bengals begun selling playoff tickets?

They seem like the only club capable of winning football's answer to the AL Central.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Congrats to the Crew fans out there! Not a big fan of soccer, but I'm very happy for the city and the fans. I know more Crew fans than CBJ fans in Columbus (not an insult - my HS had an excellent soccer program and that's where the love came from in my friend group), and they are more excited than I've ever seen them about sports. Very awesome.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad