Prospect Info: CBJ Board 2020 Prospect Rankings: #8

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Simply vote for the prospect you think is the best from the above and vote who you would like to see added to the next poll from the choices below.

1. Liam Foudy (LW/C)
2. Kirill Marchenko (LW)
3. Yegor Chinakhov (RW)
4. Andrew Peeke (D)
5. Dmitri Voronkov (LW)
6. Daniil Tarasov (G)
7. Veini Vehviläinen (G)

upload_2020-11-2_13-43-47.png

Tyler Angle (C)
Gabriel Carlsson (D)
Jacob Christiansen (D)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik Holm (D)
Kale Howarth (LW)
Samuel Johannesson (D)
Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
Matiss Kivlenieks (G)
Samuel Knazko (D)
Ryan MacInnis (C)
Cliff Pu (RW)
Kole Sherwood (RW)
Robbie Stucker (D)
Peter Thome (G)
Calvin Thürkauf (C/LW)

Add voting as of pled:
-Carlsson - 4
-Knazko - 6

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, this was where I was going to vote for Knazko, but apparently everybody here decided to give me the birthday gift of disappointment. :(

TFW, add Knazko.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Add Knazko.

To continue a discussion from an earlier thread:
We all know why he got those minutes - and I don't think he did enough with it. Stenlund had only 5 5v5 points. I think he can be a 4C and play on the second PP unit on a weak team, but that is worth close to nothing in my book. He could be that for us too but he's probably not a better 5v5 player than Riley Nash or even Ryan MacInnis, so there is little value there. If a prospect like TFW has even third line potential then he's worth more (I think he might have more than third line potential). TFW is divisive, I'm discovering, but Tarasov everyone acknowledges has starter upside, and even if his progress is disappointing to date, even 10% chance of becoming a starter ought to be worth more than a 4th liner.
Why he got the minutes is irrelevant, the important thing is what he did with them. And realistically, what more would you have wanted him to do? Project the numbers he put up out to a full season and it's a 25- or 30-point pace. That's totally fine production from a guy getting his first extended NHL action. And so what if half his points were on the power play? Those points count just as much on the scoreboard as even-strength ones. Even if he's an absolute liability defensively (which I am far from convinced he is, long-term) and doesn't improve at all offensively from where he is today, a bottom-six center who contributes on the power play is a useful NHL player. I like TFW, but he still has to have several things go right to even get to be a fourth-line grinder, and I'm not convinced his upside is higher than Stenlund's.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Stenlund (since not expecting any of the others to spend much time in the NHL).....no adds

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why he got the minutes is irrelevant, the important thing is what he did with them. And realistically, what more would you have wanted him to do? Project the numbers he put up out to a full season and it's a 25- or 30-point pace. That's totally fine production from a guy getting his first extended NHL action.

It's a 25.6 pt pace, which is actually pretty bad for a guy getting regular PP time.

For a rookie I'll put up with some low numbers but for Stenlund he's 24 and his AHL scoring has been low. 45 career AHL points in 99 games works out to an NHL-equivalence of 18 points per 82 games. Replacement-level expectations and replacement-level results.

And so what if half his points were on the power play? Those points count just as much on the scoreboard as even-strength ones.

They count the same, but the standard is higher, there is no shortage of fourth-liners in the league that could score at a >25 pt pace if they were ever granted some powerplay time. Alex Chiasson had similar scoring rates - double the games and roughly double the production - 10 5v5 pts, 13 pts on the PP, and you can get him for free. Or heck, Edmonton might even pay you to take him, they've got too many bodies now.

a bottom-six center who contributes on the power play is a useful NHL player.

It depends on what you mean by "contributes". A guy playing a half-wall spot on the PP has to meet a pretty high bar, to show value to his club he has to not only score but be better at it than whoever else would get those minutes on the half-wall. His competition there is Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Bemstrom, Texier, etc...

I like TFW, but he still has to have several things go right to even get to be a fourth-line grinder, and I'm not convinced his upside is higher than Stenlund's.

I don't think TFW is that far off, and in any case he's got a few growth years until he's Stenlund's age. TFW is a wildcard but it's not that hard to be more valuable than a 24 year old replacement level player.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
TFW has a higher ceiling (not saying much) but Stenlund is already at or near his floor. He could play on some teams 4th line. Or be an AHL guy, neither are prospects worth talking about much. Which isn’t good because one/both are going to be in our top 10.

Reactions: koteka

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Was in the same boat with Hjorth. These things happen.

Yep. I think also after this vote, it could get wild. Not even just the adds, but the actual voting as well. I see a fairly-well defined top 8 (and a pretty well-defined top 4), but after that...it's wide open.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yep. I think also after this vote, it could get wild. Not even just the adds, but the actual voting as well. I see a fairly-well defined top 8 (and a pretty well-defined top 4), but after that...it's wide open.

It's especially wide open with that group of 5-6 D-men that are all wildcards.

Right now I'm persuaded by Viqsi to put Knazko ahead, and I'm skeptical that Carlsson is going to be able to be a regular D-man with his back issues, but the rest? No idea how to rank them.

Samuel Knazko

Samuel Johannesson
OJB Holm
Eric Hjorth
Jacob Christiansen

Gabe Carlssson

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's especially wide open with that group of 5-6 D-men that are all wildcards.

Right now I'm persuaded by Viqsi to put Knazko ahead, and I'm skeptical that Carlsson is going to be able to be a regular D-man with his back issues, but the rest? No idea how to rank them.

Samuel Knazko

Samuel Johannesson
OJB Holm
Eric Hjorth
Jacob Christiansen

Gabe Carlssson

Yeah, I have no idea, tbh. You could reverse that middle tier of four and I couldn't really tell you why you'd be wrong lol.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It's a 25.6 pt pace, which is actually pretty bad for a guy getting regular PP time.

For a rookie I'll put up with some low numbers but for Stenlund he's 24 and his AHL scoring has been low. 45 career AHL points in 99 games works out to an NHL-equivalence of 18 points per 82 games. Replacement-level expectations and replacement-level results.

They count the same, but the standard is higher, there is no shortage of fourth-liners in the league that could score at a >25 pt pace if they were ever granted some powerplay time. Alex Chiasson had similar scoring rates - double the games and roughly double the production - 10 5v5 pts, 13 pts on the PP, and you can get him for free. Or heck, Edmonton might even pay you to take him, they've got too many bodies now.

It depends on what you mean by "contributes". A guy playing a half-wall spot on the PP has to meet a pretty high bar, to show value to his club he has to not only score but be better at it than whoever else would get those minutes on the half-wall. His competition there is Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Bemstrom, Texier, etc...

I don't think TFW is that far off, and in any case he's got a few growth years until he's Stenlund's age. TFW is a wildcard but it's not that hard to be more valuable than a 24 year old replacement level player.
I approve this message

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad