Prospect Info: CBJ Board 2020 Prospect Rankings: #6

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Simply vote for the prospect you think is the best from the above and vote who you would like to see added to the next poll from the choices below.

1. Liam Foudy (LW/C)
2. Kirill Marchenko (LW)
3. Yegor Chinakhov (RW)
4. Andrew Peeke (D)
5. Dmitri Voronkov (LW)

added Tim Berni (D)

Tyler Angle (C)
Gabriel Carlsson (D)
Jacob Christiansen (D)
Eric Hjorth (D)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik Holm (D)
Kale Howarth (LW)
Samuel Johannesson (D)
Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
Matiss Kivlenieks (G)
Samuel Knazko (D)
Ryan MacInnis (C)
Cliff Pu (RW)
Mikael Pyyhtia (C)
Kole Sherwood (RW)
Robbie Stucker (D)
Peter Thome (G)
Calvin Thürkauf (C/LW)

adds through Viqsi
Knazko - 4
Hjorth - 5
Pyyhtia - 5
Carlsson - 2

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Voting VV again, but I'll be honest, a case could be made for probably either Tarasov or TFW (despite the fact I voted to add Stenlund ahead of him) that could convince me to change my vote, either this poll or next. Not unlike the first 4, I feel there's a batch of 3-4 here that are also close.

add Knazko

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Add Knazko

I voted TFW here, he was close to point per game in the AHL after he came back from injury.

I had Tarasov ahead on earlier lists but the more I think about it there just isn't any sign of progress for Tarasov (or VV) in the last couple years. He's a goalie, so yeah he might not pop until late. But he's 21 and doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet. I'm going to wait until I see something from him first, same for VV.

Stenlund, add Pyyhtia.

I'd really like to hear the case for Kevin Stenlund. I see an obviously skilled guy, a borderline NHLer, but he's also 24 and liable to be lost on waivers soon. How valuable can he be to the franchise? He's also 2-3 years older than TFW and yet it is TFW that has been the better AHLer.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'd really like to hear the case for Kevin Stenlund. I see an obviously skilled guy, a borderline NHLer, but he's also 24 and liable to be lost on waivers soon. How valuable can he be to the franchise? He's also 2-3 years older than TFW and yet it is TFW that has been the better AHLer.
He played roughly middle-six forward minutes on average for 32 games last season, put up decent numbers, and the team went 16-8-8. That tells me he can play a role on a good team in the NHL right now. That's a higher floor than any of the other four, none of whom have played at the NHL level except some preseason games. And none of the other four have the kinds of ceilings that outweigh that high floor, in my opinion. Maybe Tarasov, but as you mentioned, that potential has to start turning into production at some point. Ideally I wouldn't be voting for Stenlund at #6, but this year's prospect poll pool is shallower than past years'.

Reactions: koteka

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Add Knazko

I voted TFW here, he was close to point per game in the AHL after he came back from injury.

I had Tarasov ahead on earlier lists but the more I think about it there just isn't any sign of progress for Tarasov (or VV) in the last couple years. He's a goalie, so yeah he might not pop until late. But he's 21 and doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet. I'm going to wait until I see something from him first, same for VV.

TFW upside is that of a scoring AHL player with some cups of coffee in the NHL as a call up. Stenlund might be able to carve out a 4th line role in the NHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've lost interest in this year's vote because imo from here on out it's a crap shoot with no good reasons to support one guy over another. On the other hand we usually miss one pretty good player and vote them 14th or so. Have fun.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
TFW upside is that of a scoring AHL player with some cups of coffee in the NHL as a call up.

I can guess that because of his height, the translatability factor isn't in his favor. Do you have any information to go on besides his height? I would like to see something more than that, the league actually has quite a lot of short players these days. Yamamoto for example just stepped in and done as much as anyone to save the Oilers season. TFW is listed at an inch shorter and twenty-five pounds heavier. He's the same height as Debrincat, but again heavier. Similar height and stockier than Gaudreau, as well as our own Cam. Cam was another late rounder that people didn't take seriously, but like TFW has done so far, he just got better and better results each year.

He played roughly middle-six forward minutes on average for 32 games last season, put up decent numbers, and the team went 16-8-8. That tells me he can play a role on a good team in the NHL right now. That's a higher floor than any of the other four, none of whom have played at the NHL level except some preseason games. And none of the other four have the kinds of ceilings that outweigh that high floor, in my opinion. Maybe Tarasov, but as you mentioned, that potential has to start turning into production at some point. Ideally I wouldn't be voting for Stenlund at #6, but this year's prospect poll pool is shallower than past years'.

We all know why he got those minutes - and I don't think he did enough with it. Stenlund had only 5 5v5 points. I think he can be a 4C and play on the second PP unit on a weak team, but that is worth close to nothing in my book. He could be that for us too but he's probably not a better 5v5 player than Riley Nash or even Ryan MacInnis, so there is little value there. If a prospect like TFW has even third line potential then he's worth more (I think he might have more than third line potential). TFW is divisive, I'm discovering, but Tarasov everyone acknowledges has starter upside, and even if his progress is disappointing to date, even 10% chance of becoming a starter ought to be worth more than a 4th liner.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I can guess that because of his height, the translatability factor isn't in his favor. Do you have any information to go on besides his height? I would like to see something more than that, the league actually has quite a lot of short players these days. Yamamoto for example just stepped in and done as much as anyone to save the Oilers season. TFW is listed at an inch shorter and twenty-five pounds heavier. He's the same height as Debrincat, but again heavier. Similar height and stockier than Gaudreau, as well as our own Cam. Cam was another late rounder that people didn't take seriously, but like TFW has done so far, he just got better and better results each year.

Has nothing to do with his height. I'm a fan of those small guys because they usually have chips on their shoulders and have an edge to their game, because they wouldn't have made it this far if they didn't. I just don't think TFW's skillset is that of an NHL player. He's got some bite, but I wouldn't call him physical. He's a good scorer at the junior level, but unproven still in the pros with a so-so start. So we'll see. I view him and Sherwood's upside pretty similarly, with a slight edge to TFW, even though they're very different types and styles of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad