Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
COUGH COUGH cop-out COUGH COUGH

Just kidding with you, I feel the same but how can you participate in this annual fun if you don't rank them?

I VOTED! I think most know my appreciation for this annual exercise, there are just some spots where it's tough.

EDIT:
This is a tight vote currently.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
FTR, I am voting based on highest ceiling.

Marchenko because I think he has the potential to play on the top line. The other two I considered were Foudy and Peeke but I see Foudy as a 2nd - 3rd line guy and Peeke as a 2nd pairing guy (nothing wrong with that ceiling for either of those guys).

I just can't get myself to say add Voronkov based on ceiling because I see him as a bigger version of Boone which is a 3rd line guy and I want to think there is someone in the system with a higher ceiling than that.

So I am going off the board and say: add Mikael Pyyhtia. He sounds a little bit like a Wennberg type centerman but with a really good shot...he just need to learn to use it. Definitely will be a learning curve to smaller ice surface like Bemmer but clearly there is potential for an excellent playmaker.
Ah man I thought I was going to be the first to bring up Pyyhtia. Haven't seen him play beyond highlights but everything I've read makes him seem like a really good fit. I'll probably have him in the top ten.

Reactions: Doggy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ah man I thought I was going to be the first to bring up Pyyhtia. Haven't seen him play beyond highlights but everything I've read makes him seem like a really good fit. I'll probably have him in the top ten.

What do you know about him? I didn't find much information, and I find it hard to judge a player like Pyyhtia who is still playing in Finnish Junior, which might as well be a beer league to my untrained eye.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Foudy, I hope he can become Cap 2.0 even if he has less top end talent than marchenko I still think he's num 1

add Vehvilainen

pled

Sep 7, 2009
What do you know about him? I didn't find much information, and I find it hard to judge a player like Pyyhtia who is still playing in Finnish Junior, which might as well be a beer league to my untrained eye.
it's more like BCHL level I guess idk if you think that's beer league but it's true a load of player in that league end up beer league player. pretty hard to find content to watch of him from america because of it thought. he just got invited to u20 camp today if he makes it we will get to see him more for sure.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Good ice vision is the main thing. Also seems like he has a good motor, competes for the puck, and has a nice shot. Differing reports on his speed, and he's not very big, so it's hard to really project him too highly right now (probably why he was there in the fourth, too), and obviously I'd prefer if he were playing Liiga, but it does seem like he'll get a spot on the Finnish team if the WJC happens this year, and he is at least performing well in Finnish juniors (my adage with these leagues is "stats don't mean anything, unless they're bad"). In a weak year for the prospect pool that's enough to get onto the fringes of the top ten for me. I have basically everyone from like 7–17 grouped in the same tier, and separating them is basically just gut instinct. And my gut instinct right now says "Pyyhtia = good."

Reactions: majormajor

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Seeing how good Marchenko has been as of late in the KHL and how he absolutely demolished the MHL, it should tip the scale in his favor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This link has videos and more in-depth break down of him
https://www.futurescopehockey.com/post/prospect-report-mikael-pyyhtiä

Dobber Prospects: "A speedy forward with excellent playmaking ability. Shows high a compete level with a non-stop motor. Enjoys going to the hard-nosed areas."

Finn Prospects: Mikael Pyyhtiä | FinnProspects.com

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This link has videos and more in-depth break down of him
https://www.futurescopehockey.com/post/prospect-report-mikael-pyyhtiä

Dobber Prospects: "A speedy forward with excellent playmaking ability. Shows high a compete level with a non-stop motor. Enjoys going to the hard-nosed areas."

Finn Prospects: Mikael Pyyhtiä | FinnProspects.com

Thanks, that video profile is really helpful. I'm still wowed by some of those clips.

They've also got a good one on Samuel Knazko.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This was a tough one but I chose Foudy. Foudy seems to lack Marchenko's pure goal scoring potential but that's about it. He can help the team playing many different roles. And that speed is fun to watch.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Thanks, that video profile is really helpful. I'm still wowed by some of those clips.

They've also got a good one on Samuel Knazko.
Yeah, I mean, anyone looks good if you only look at their goals and assists, but the patience and vision are impressive. There's a fine line between patient and passive (as we are all very well aware from years of watching a certain former first-round pick) but I'm willing to believe he winds up on the right side of that line.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I mean, anyone looks good if you only look at their goals and assists, but the patience and vision are impressive. There's a fine line between patient and passive (as we are all very well aware from years of watching a certain former first-round pick) but I'm willing to believe he winds up on the right side of that line.

I had spent 100+ hours over the summer watching prospect video and Pyyhtia's name is not one that I remember hearing ever, not from Jokke Nevalainen or anyone. So I'm not beginning with high hopes for him.

What I like in the video is
1) the smoothness and control of his skating. It's super evident in that second clip where he turns away from the goaltender to receive the puck and fluidly turns around toward the goalie while moving forward away from pressure. He doesn't look powerful but with that technique he could get a lot faster if he adds strength.

2) he can shoot. Wennberg didn't like shooting, which was one problem, but he also didn't have a release that popped like Pyyhtia's.

3) not that I can tell just from the video, but from all scouting reports he's a guy that likes to make the hard passes that break defenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad