Daniil Tarasov: DNP (No Game)

Kirill Marchenko: DNP (No Game)

Overall stats:

Berni: 1 GP - 0 G - 0 A - 0 P - Even - 2 SOG - 0 PIM

Bemstrom: 1 GP - 0 G - 1 A - 1 P - Even - 6 SOG - 0 PIM

Marchenko: 0 GP - 0 G - 0 A - 0 P - Even - 0 SOG - 0 PIM

Tarasov: 0 GP - 0 W - 0 L - 0 - OTL - 0.00 GAA - 0 Save % - 0 Shutouts

My personal thoughts:

Berni is a very good skater and he appears to be on of Switzerland's most important players as he played in all situations including OT. He held his own defensively, although wasn't spectacular. He was pretty bad with the puck and his indecisiveness pretty much killed a 5 on 3 for Switzerland (he got his shot blocked twice). However, he did have a nice defensive keep in on the point when the Czech's tried to clear the puck. I will chalk up this game to nerves, but overall he wasn't anything to write home about.

Bemstrom seems to have that shooter mentality that you don't typically see with Swedes. He had 3 shots on goal through two periods, and primarily played on the second powerplay unit (although saw first unit time on the 5 on 3, where he got his assist). He also won the only faceoff he took. He seemed to primarily play on the 2nd forward line although I could be wrong. Anyway, he didn't jump off the screen but he was effective in being a dangerous player the Finns had to key on especially on the powerplay, where Bemstrom did most of his damage. He set up Brannstrom on his point shot goal, but it was a fairly simple pass. On the powerplay he set up on the Ovechkin one timer position and wasn't shy to let it fly. He was fine, but like Berni his performance wasn't anything to write home about. Hopefully he improves, as the announcers said he will be a key forward for Sweden's success. Craig Button compared him to Viktor Arvidsson of Nashville, which I think we would all take.

All of our prospects will be in play tomorrow. 4 PM for Russia, 6:30 PM for Sweden, and 8 PM for Switzerland.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Day 2

Tim Berni: No points, no shots, even

Emil Bemstrom: 2 Goals (1 PPG), 6 SOG, +1, Player of the Game

Daniil Tarasov: Win, 21 Shots Against, 21 Saves, 1 Shutout

Kirill Marchenko: No points, 2 SOG

Overall Stats:

Berni: 2 GP - 0 G - 0 A - 0 P - Even - 2 SOG - 0 PIM

Bemstrom: 2 GP - 2 G - 1 A - 3 P - +1 - 12 SOG - 0 PIM

Tarasov: 1 GP - 1 Win - 0 Loss - 0 OTL - 0.00 GAA - 1.000 Save % - 1 Shutout

Marchenko - 1 GP - 0 G - 0 A - 0 P - Even - 2 SOG - 0 PIM

Personal Thoughts:

Didn't watch Switzerland-Canada as it was on during the CBJ game, and don't have plans to record it to watch later. So it wouldn't be fair of me to assess Berni's performance. However, staying even against a superior Canada team means he at least held his own. A quick look around HF and Twitter doesn't talk about him or his play at all, so I assume he played a quiet but solid game.

I didn't watch Sweden-Slovakia either, so I didn't watch Bemstrom. However, I am recording the game at 8 AM and will edit this post with my assessment after I watch. His stats say he played a lot like he did against Finland, by firing away, but he had more success today. I am hoping to see a more dynamic player than I saw against Finland.

EDIT: watched the game. Bemstrom and his line were buzzing. The shift he had on his first goal was extraordinary. Displayed an ability to forecheck. At times tried to make a sexier play rather than the smart play but that doesn’t bother me. He was very hard on the puck and would really compete for loose pucks in the corners. He LOVES his one timer. This was by far the most impressive showing by a CBJ prospect thus far.

Tarasov was very impressive to me. Stood tall in the net. Don't remember who the announcer was, but he compared him to a Ben Bishop. He stood tall in the first minute of the game, stopping a breakaway and a follow up shot. Looked calm and composed in the net, never having trouble with anything Denmark threw at him. Yes, it was only Denmark, but they were more competitive in the game than the score shows. Helped kill off 8 Russian penalties, including 6 straight.

Marchenko wasn't noticeable. Playing in a smaller role on the Russian team, he didn't play a ton and certainly didn't during the powerplay during my recollection. He has good size and good hands and he displayed them at one point during the 2nd period, passing from his back while falling and setting up a teammate. Unfortunately, this was his most notable play. (2:55 in the video below)

Bemstrom goals:

Tarasov/Marchenko Highlights:

Tarasov and Marchenko will be back in action tomorrow against Czech Republic at 8 PM. Berni and Bemstrom don't play.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Tarasov since being drafted has been my favorite goalie prospect and continues to grow my faith in this tourny. Im normally not heavy Russian players but my last 2 favorite prospects have been Gavrikov and Tarasov if you dont count Z and even then I always liked Gavrikov more because he plays my style.

Where does everyone have Tarasov between him, Elvis,and the FIN.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Tarasov since being drafted has been my favorite goalie prospect and continues to grow my faith in this tourny. Im normally not heavy Russian players but my last 2 favorite prospects have been Gavrikov and Tarasov if you dont count Z and even then I always liked Gavrikov more because he plays my style.

Where does everyone have Tarasov between him, Elvis,and the FIN.
All at different stages of development and goalies are a crapshoot but if I had to guess Id maybe say:
Merzlinkins
Vehvilainen
Tarasov

But if the actual list ends up being the complete opposite I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest. My list might even be different tomorrow, all 3 have high potential

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'd go Vehvilainen/Tarasov/Merzlikins, but that's not intended as any sort of slight on Elvis. Veini's Liiga numbers are absurd and Tarasov seems to be impressing the right people in Russian hockey circles (plus he's looked great in international play), so I'm more excited for them right now. There's not much to separate them, for sure.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bemstrom reminds me of Dano in his short stint here. Just firing away and has a bit of cockiness to his game. Looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->