Speculation: CBJ and EDM trade with the framework of Korpisalo for Koskinen, Samorukov, and 1st

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As an Oilers fan.. that is disgusting

SV% below .900 in 17-18, 18-19, and 20-21.

What are we doing here??

Columbus was a train wreck last season so looking at stats doesn't help this situation.

That being said that's a steep price for a goalie but they do shed a contract and it could work out very well for both teams if it comes to pass.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Columbus was a train wreck last season so looking at stats doesn't help this situation.

That being said that's a steep price for a goalie but they do shed a contract and it could work out very well for both teams if it comes to pass.

Not if Samorukov is the ask. Complete non starter for us.

He’s a solid two way D man who hits like an absolute truck too. Looks and plays like a middle linebacker in football. He had a better year last year for the historic CSKA franchise (the old Soviet Red Army team) in the KHL than Romanov did the year prior. We have no prospects in our D pipeline that bring the level of physicality he does, guys like him play a style that is conducive to winning in difficult playoff style games.

We all know how high Habs fans are on Romanov. Samorukov is bigger + more physical and is a very good prospect. I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays on left D at some point during this year or grabs a spot out of camp full time the year following.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not if Samorukov is the ask. Complete non starter for us.

He’s a solid two way D man who hits like an absolute truck too. Looks and plays like a middle linebacker in football. He had a better year last year for the historic CSKA franchise (the old Soviet Red Army team) in the KHL than Romanov did the year prior. We have no prospects in our D pipeline that bring the level of physicality he does, guys like him play a style that is conducive to winning in difficult playoff style games.

We all know how high Habs fans are on Romanov. Samorukov is bigger + more physical and is a very good prospect. I wouldn’t be shocked if he plays on left D at some point during this year or grabs a spot out of camp full time the year following.

Why isn't Samorukov in the NHL? Oiler's D-corps has been notoriously weak. You would think Samorukov would crack the lineup if he is as promising as you claim. Romanov cracked the Habs cup-contending lineup as a 20 year old. Samorukov is 22 and yet to get a sniff of the NHL.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Why isn't Samorukov in the NHL? Oiler's D-corps has been notoriously weak. You would think Samorukov would crack the lineup if he is as promising as you claim. Romanov cracked the Habs cup-contending lineup as a 20 year old. Samorukov is 22 and yet to get a sniff of the NHL.

When Holland started he told everyone that prospects were no longer going to be gifted spot. All of our big guys had to do AHL time or in his case KHL time. We are going to be stronger long term as this policy start to take effect. Bear ad Jones were just the first wave of some very good defecneman that will be hitting our roster soon. Bouchard, Samorukov and Broberg are our future to join Nurse in our top 4. I give it two seasons and at least 2 of them will be there. Without any additional people this is our Defense in 2 seasons.

Nurse Bouchard
Samorukov Ceci
Broberg Barrie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

So you don't think a prospect could be both

1) not NHL ready by age 21, and

2) worth too much to trade for Joonas Korpisalo?

I don't know Samorukov that well but I can believe he's worth a bit more than a goalie coming off of a down year.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Not doing anything. Seravalli said it was speculation on his part of what he thinks a deal might look like to dump Koskinen. Rishaug from TSN said the Oilers aren't considering anything like this right now.

The thread title is very misleading.

Is there an exact quote from Seravalli that says he was speculating or are you just interpreting what was said on the podcast?

Because the other guy in the podcast says that is what Seravalli is hearing:

Don’t Panic on Koskinen

Earlier today on the DailyFaceoff Rundown Podcast with yours truly and Frank Seravalli, we touched on many teams and their decisions in free agency. Near the end of the podcast, Frank mentioned the Oilers and Blue Jackets are in discussions surrounding Joonas Korpisalo. Frank said he’d heard Columbus was looking for a first rounder and Dmitry Samorukov along with Koskinen in exchange for Korpisalo.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Is there an exact quote from Seravalli that says he was speculating or are you just interpreting what was said on the podcast?

Because the other guy in the podcast says that is what Seravalli is hearing:

Don’t Panic on Koskinen
Yeah, I posted the quote a couple pages back. Jason Gregor is never right, so no surprise he got this one wrong too.

Seravalli:

"I just wanted to add on to the Edmonton Oilers. I do think that they've continued to work the phones on the goaltending front. I think the team that they've been in touch with is the Columbus Blue Jackets about Joonas Korpisalo. I think Merzlikins is gonna end up with a longer term extension there when it's all said and done, and I think Korpisalo is gonna be the guy on the go. They're looking for a first round pick as part of the package. I think the Oilers would be willing to do that if that meant they're also taking Koskinen.

The other question is what else are you having to give up in order to make that happen? And I think that there's some interest in Samorukov, so I think it's a potential that he's part of it. But there's gotta be a price to get them to take Koskinen, right? So that's where Samorukov might come in. Samorukov, a first, and Koskinen for Korpisalo. Something like that. I'm not saying it's gonna be done or anything close to that. I just think that's sort of a general framework of a conversation that's been ongoing."

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
This would be a ridiculous deal for the Oilers. The goalies the Oil have now are good enough to make the playoffs. Run with them and make a deal for a goalie at the deadline if necessary.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers desperately need an upgrade in net after missing out on their targets the last two years. Apparently they were close on Kuemper. Not sure that I’d target this goalie but clearly they can’t waste a year going with Smith/Koskinen.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
we’re a much better team than the one that got swept by the Jets.

edit: but that’s not saying much lol.
The forward group is the deepest it's been in probably 15 years. Defense is up in the air at the moment because they got better on the left side but lost Larsson on the right. If Holland can upgrade on Koskinen, I'll be pretty happy with the offseason.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yeah, I posted the quote a couple pages back. Jason Gregor is never right, so no surprise he got this one wrong too.

Seravalli:

"I just wanted to add on to the Edmonton Oilers. I do think that they've continued to work the phones on the goaltending front. I think the team that they've been in touch with is the Columbus Blue Jackets about Joonas Korpisalo. I think Merzlikins is gonna end up with a longer term extension there when it's all said and done, and I think Korpisalo is gonna be the guy on the go. They're looking for a first round pick as part of the package. I think the Oilers would be willing to do that if that meant they're also taking Koskinen.

The other question is what else are you having to give up in order to make that happen? And I think that there's some interest in Samorukov, so I think it's a potential that he's part of it. But there's gotta be a price to get them to take Koskinen, right? So that's where Samorukov might come in. Samorukov, a first, and Koskinen for Korpisalo. Something like that. I'm not saying it's gonna be done or anything close to that. I just think that's sort of a general framework of a conversation that's been ongoing."

I kind of assume that's what the Jackets are asking and we just haven't heard the Oilers counter. The framework makes sense, but the prospect is a little to valuable and tilts it pretty far imo. A good ol' fashioned negotiation.

Reactions: Viqsi

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So you don't think a prospect could be both

1) not NHL ready by age 21, and

2) worth too much to trade for Joonas Korpisalo?

I don't know Samorukov that well but I can believe he's worth a bit more than a goalie coming off of a down year.
Never made any of those claims. Inquired why he’s not in the nhl considering how weak Oiler D has been. Got an answer that made sense from the previous poster. Don’t be so sensitive.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Never made any of those claims. Inquired why he’s not in the nhl considering how weak Oiler D has been. Got an answer that made sense from the previous poster. Don’t be so sensitive.

You're reading the sensitive part in.

He wasn't NHL ready, it's not that complicated.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You're reading the sensitive part in.

He wasn't NHL ready, it's not that complicated.
Thats a weak response.

Obviously he wasn’t nhl ready. The question was what was the issues that led to not being Oiler ready. Big difference between nhl ready and Oiler ready. ;)
but I already received an answer from a more knowledgeable poster so no point in you replying sport.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I might be wrong though lol. I was wrong about Chicago retaining on Kieth... so I'm not that secure on this topic
It might not be this exact trade but you gotta figure Holland wouldn't be dumb enough to roll with Smith over a full schedule after the moves he made.
There aren't a lot of options out there and Sakic already screwed the market up.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This was ALL SPECULATION. There never was a serious deal from Holland about a 1st, Samorukov and Koskinen for Korpisalo. Rishaug basically put this rumor to bed.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Wow. Thats shit return!
Holland better shape up.
All the good things he build up, will be erased with this one.

Really. Is one year of Koskinen worth Samurokov to give up??? stupid

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thats a weak response.

Obviously he wasn’t nhl ready. The question was what was the issues that led to not being Oiler ready. Big difference between nhl ready and Oiler ready. ;)
but I already received an answer from a more knowledgeable poster so no point in you replying sport.

I don't think you'd know what constitutes "knowledge" about the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers D core has been weak for years largely because they've been lacking in the top four. They've had at times several extra bottom pair D, that hasn't been the issue. So no, "Oiler ready" is not a distinct concept. It's not an especially easy team for a rookie to make or play for.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
When Holland started he told everyone that prospects were no longer going to be gifted spot. All of our big guys had to do AHL time or in his case KHL time. We are going to be stronger long term as this policy start to take effect. Bear ad Jones were just the first wave of some very good defecneman that will be hitting our roster soon. Bouchard, Samorukov and Broberg are our future to join Nurse in our top 4. I give it two seasons and at least 2 of them will be there. Without any additional people this is our Defense in 2 seasons.

Nurse Bouchard
Samorukov Ceci
Broberg Barrie
Makes sense, that's pretty much what he did in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->