Confirmed with Link: CBJ acquire F Matthew Ford from Philadelphia in exchange for future considerations

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=659793

Blockbuster!

COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets today announced that the club has acquired forward Matthew Ford from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for future considerations. Ford will report to the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League.

Originally selected by Chicago in the eighth round, 256th overall, of the 2004 NHL Draft, Ford has recorded 72-69-141 in 256 career AHL games with Hartford, Lake Erie, Hershey and Adirondack. The 6-1, 207-pound right winger has recorded 4-9-13 and 31 penalty minutes in 35 appearances with the Phantoms this season. A native of West Hills, California, Ford spent four seasons at the University of Wisconsin from 2004-08, recording 21-18-39 in 124 career NCAA games.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Philly is right up against the 50 contract limit I believe. Guess Kekelainen is doing them a favor.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
At least he can help out Springy. And as Samkow said, maybe PHI will throw us a bone one day in the future.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I do wonder what this means for signing any college free-agents or CBJ draft picks (Larkin, Olson and Lynch are all in their last college season). Some contracts can start in the 2013-2014 season, so maybe that's not an issue, but if the Flyers are clearing room to start signing big time college free-agents and unsigned CHL players, and the Jackets are tossed scraps to help with a AHL playoff run..?

This trade probably helps Evansville more than Springfield, since they'll get Vogelhuber back.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What's a future consideration? Like a promise to be favorably disposed in the future?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This would be the 47th contract under the CBJ. That includes Murray (LTIR and EL slide) and Jenner (EL slide contract). So in essence CBJ has 45 contracts with 5 open slots remaining this year. that's enough to get existing College players in this year or allow them to start the contract next year and sign some NCAA free agents.

Also, by my count I estimate 8 contracts likely to come off the board before next season:

UFA's (some may re-sign but at this point they are not "on the books" and thus not part of the 50)

Prospal - possible re-sign
Aucoin - don't see him back
Letestu - possible re-sign
Drazenovic - possible re-sign (AHL guy so who knows what JK is thinking)
Holden - unlikely to re-sign (given defensive depth I'm not convinced they re-sign him)
Joudrey - don't see him back
Machacek - just acquired. re-sign possible
Matt Ford - just acquired. don't see him back
McElhinney - possible re-sign (May depend on re-signing of York and whether Forsberg comes over)

There are also a few RFA's that are unlikely (my guess) not to be qualified.

Mason - don't see him qualified
Gillies - don't see him qualified
Ruth - don't see him qualified
York - expect him to be qualified (goaltending depth and shows some promise when healthy)
Russell - don't see him qualified
Bass - expect him to be qualified

I only put the guys that I, personally, thougth would be on the fence. Guys like Savard, Golo, etc. are sure to be qualified. That appears to be 11-12 players not qualified or UFA's. Seems like Prospal and Letestu are the most likely to come back and I like Holden but don't see him re-upping...

So there is room this year and certainly next year to get players signed. Not to mention any possible deals that opens up another spot. We're good on contracts in my opinion.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
AHL depth move. Welcome aboard, Ford, enjoy yours stay. Maybe the Jackets will be nice and let you play an actual NHL game.

Moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad