CBC Sports: New Leafs GM says goalie trade not out of question

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/01/10/sp-nhl-dave-nonis-brian-burke-goaltending.html

Despite singing the praises of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens, newly appointed Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis said he won't hesitate to make a move via trade if either goaltender fails to impress early in the season.

One day after taking over from Brian Burke, who was fired by the team on Wednesday, Nonis appeared on Hockey Night in Canada Radio with hosts Gord Stellick and Scott Oake to discuss, among several issues, the Leafs' No. 1 priority: goaltending.

“Depends on how [Reimer and Scrivens] play,†said Nonis. “If they play like we’ve seen them play in the past, and we don’t have any injury issues, and James gets back at the level that he was at, then the answer is yes [the goaltending is good enough].

“You can’t have success without quality goaltending. If we can improve in net we’re going to. If we can’t or if the price is just so ridiculous that it actually sets your team backwards, you have to win with the players that you have until you can make some changes.â€

Dave Nonis interview on Hockey Night in Canada Radio:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanadaradio/video/#id=2324469425

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I just want the season to start!

We've been talking about this Luongo stuff for months!!!!

Just end it one way or another. I'll honestly be happy either way(as long as the price is low) We get him we get some awesome hockey, and a good potential at a nice UFA signing(perry/getz maybe) or even a #1C trade in the summer.

We dont get him then we potentially get a decent pick in a deep draft, hopefully a centre. Problem here is we're still left with subpar goaltending(seriously, Reimer or Scrivens are nowhere near elite.)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I pray Reimer plays well so we don't pay up for Lu

Thissss !!!!!

I understand everyone wants to see Lu in the leafs sweater but lets face it the team isn't good enough to swap kadri and gardiner for him. By the time were good enough to truly compete which will be set back due to losing gardiner and kadri, Lu won't be the same goalie. The guy is 33. Also that contract although not absolutely terrible still isn't that great especially at the price gillis is shopping him at.

I truly still have a lot of faith in reimer, and I think he will impress a lot of people this season. If nonis really gives him an honest chance I already like him more then Burke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad