CBC Radio's "q" replaces host Shad with Radio 2 Morning / Deep Roots host Tom Power.

JA

This news broke two days ago, but nobody here has mentioned it.

CBC realized that the brand name wasn't strong enough to keep the show's ratings, so a change was needed. Although Shad is a talented and charming, he wasn't able to draw in listeners. He has been replaced by 29-year-old Tom Power, who has eight years of experience in entertainment radio with CBC.

A new show will be developed that better suits Shad's strengths.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/shad-q-tom-power-host-1.3721405
CBC's q replacing Shad as host
Canadian rapper to host his final episode of q on Tuesday
CBC News Posted: Aug 15, 2016 12:35 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 15, 2016 8:25 PM ET

CBC Radio's q is getting its third host in three years, with Shad being replaced by Tom Power​.

Power, who served as a regular guest host for several years, will officially take over the mic in October.

"It's been an honour and a joy to serve in this role," Kabango said in a statement.

"Countless fascinating guests and don't even get me started on my colleagues: smart, funny, and dedicated is just the beginning. The show will continue and is in great hands with Tom Power — an excellent host and a great guy. My relationship with the CBC remains strong.... I'm grateful for an amazing experience."

Susan Marjetti, executive director of CBC Radio English Services, said the broadcaster is "exploring a new show with Shad that plays to his strengths and passion for music. Shad remains part of our CBC family."

"I think long-form interviewing even for seasoned broadcasters can be a real challenge, so imagine if you're just starting out in the medium of radio and you're called upon to do 20- and 22-minute interviews," Marjetti told CBC News. "I think that is a very, very difficult and challenging task."

A Juno-winning rapper, Kabango was tapped as Ghomeshi's replacement in March 2015, but has had trouble attracting the same sort of audience. The show had 168,000 listeners in June 2016, compared to 220,400 in June 2015. It had its highest audience (282,000) in September 2014.

"There evidently wasn't that institutional strength, that deep well of brand equity we would hope for q, that would carry the show through a host that wasn't Ghomeshi," said Toronto-based brand consultant Andris Pone.

"What it proves, I think, is the q brand itself was not that strong. It proves that the brand of the show is ... extremely dependent upon the brand and performance of the host," he noted.

The host change doesn't surprise Marion Coomey, professor at Ryerson University's RTA School of Media in Toronto.

"By no means did I think [Kabango] was a failure. I think he was adequate. But to do that kind of program and to replace someone who was a very dynamic host, they needed to find someone with a big on-air personality but also has a load of experience," Coomey told CBC News on Monday.

"It takes more than just being smart and funny and charming and interesting. It's about understanding how to do an interview, doing an interview in-depth — not just reading the questions off the page, knowing enough about the subject matter you can followup on it if someone goes off-script and having the comfort to do that. It takes time."

Here's an interview Tom Power did with Terry Crews as a guest host of Q before Shad was named the permanent host.

And one he did in 2015 after the re-branding:

Tom Power talking about Gord Downie:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I would love to dig up the original Ghomeshi thread where I said CBC needs to just let the Q name die. There is no reason to hold onto it. It isn't valuable. Q was Ghomeshi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad