News Article: CBC Interview With Marty

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Twitter users had the opportunity to ask Marty questions through CBC - some highlights:

Q: You have an amazing career all for one team, was there every an other jersey you wanted to wear? Who was it?

Brodeur: I grew up being a Montreal Canadiens fan so it would have been great at one point if I would have been able to wear that jersey. But I was so comfortable where I was and they made me feel right at home in New Jersey. When I say 'home' I think about New Jersey, I don't really think of Montreal. My whole grown-up life has been with the Devils.

Q: how do you kelp track of all the players and their shooting style?

Brodeur: It's getting harder because so many young guys are playing now. When I started there was more stability with teams so you would see the same shooter over and over. You just have to do your homework. I know the top guys and their tendencies. I watch as many games as I can with my goalie coach. With the shootout this becomes even more important so I look at packs of shootout goals to try to get an edge on them. I don't write anything down, it's all up here.

Q for @MartinBrodeur : who was your favourite goalie tandem all-time & out of all the years with New Jersey? Thx #hockeynight

Brodeur: Well I don't want to offend anybody. I had Kevin Weekes with me and we had a blast. I think my most successful tandem was with Chris Terreri. I started with him, took his job and he always understood me. We became roommates, then he left and he came back and we won another Stanley Cup together. Now he's my goalie coach. There are so many experiences that we've shared together.

Q: With Price, Fleury faltering in this playoff year, who are Marty's choices as goalies for Sochi 2014?...Himself maybe?

Brodeur: I think Luongo automatically should be in there with the experience he has. He was my back-up in Torino and he took my job in Vancouver. I know it has been a little bit harder for him lately but he's such a talented goalie and he should be considered as the top guy. Carey Price is another guy that I believe always excels on the international stage and he needs to get a shot. Cam Ward could push the envelop for Team Canada to invite him. Mike Smith is another candidate. There are so many good goalies, Canada is lucky.

If Team Canada asks, I would never say no. They've been so good to me. They allowed me to live so many great experiences with the Olympics and the World Cups. I owe it to them if they feel like I could help them, I'd be there.

Q: how would it feel to be on the cover of EA's #NHL14

Brodeur: It would be fun. At first I didn't think much of it because I didn't really follow last year's cover vote. Me on the cover of a game? I think I'm a little old. My kids were like 'Dad, you've gotta try!' I got my brother involved and a few of my friends and we started this campaign. Now we're in the top 4 and it's pretty cool.

Full "interview" here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/community/opinion/2013/05/twitter-qa-with-martin-brodeur.html

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I can't see how anyone could hate Marty, aside from fans of rival teams because of his dominance over them on the ice.
But that should be "hate" with respect.

But, he's a first class gentleman and ambassador of the game of hockey.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Love that Marty thinks of Jersey as his true home. Having watched him through my entire life in watching hockey (I started watching when I was 5 in his rookie year), it will be a devastating day for me when he is no longer playing.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Love that Marty thinks of Jersey as his true home. Having watched him through my entire life in watching hockey (I started watching when I was 5 in his rookie year), it will be a devastating day for me when he is no longer playing.

I'm about the same age as you and I hear ha. Between Marty, the last half of the core four on the Yanks, and the growing number of NHL players I've played against, professional sports is getting weird for me.

NC107*

I can't see how anyone could hate Marty, aside from fans of rival teams because of his dominance over them on the ice.

I do!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

This tweet is from the most die-hard Rangers fan I know, and he's a devout Marty hater:

"i can objectively respect brodeur but ill always subjectively hate his guts"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he might be talking about that whole marriage/sister-in-law fiasco around the time of the 03 Cup.

That's even worse too.:laugh:

All these athletes have skeletons in their closets. Look at married Clarkie with all the girls in the TMZ videos last year, and Zubrus too.:laugh:

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
This tweet is from the most die-hard Rangers fan I know, and he's a devout Marty hater:

"i can objectively respect brodeur but ill always subjectively hate his guts"

Kind of how I feel about Metallica

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
That's even worse too.:laugh:

All these athletes have skeletons in their closets. Look at married Clarkie with all the girls in the TMZ videos last year, and Zubrus too.:laugh:

Reasons why I don't want to know about players' personal lives or follow them on Twitter. I don't want to find out what a ****** bag Player X is. I prefer to be able to cheer for them without feeling dirty for doing so.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Reasons why I don't want to know about players' personal lives or follow them on Twitter. I don't want to find out what a ****** bag Player X is. I prefer to be able to cheer for them without feeling dirty for doing so.

Yeah me too. It doesn't make my opinion go down of them or anything, but I could do without knowing too much about them that's for sure.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Twitter users had the opportunity to ask Marty questions through CBC - some highlights:

Q: You have an amazing career all for one team, was there every an other jersey you wanted to wear? Who was it?

Brodeur: I grew up being a Montreal Canadiens fan so it would have been great at one point if I would have been able to wear that jersey. But I was so comfortable where I was and they made me feel right at home in New Jersey. When I say 'home' I think about New Jersey, I don't really think of Montreal. My whole grown-up life has been with the Devils.

Q: how do you kelp track of all the players and their shooting style?

Brodeur: It's getting harder because so many young guys are playing now. When I started there was more stability with teams so you would see the same shooter over and over. You just have to do your homework. I know the top guys and their tendencies. I watch as many games as I can with my goalie coach. With the shootout this becomes even more important so I look at packs of shootout goals to try to get an edge on them. I don't write anything down, it's all up here.

Q for @MartinBrodeur : who was your favourite goalie tandem all-time & out of all the years with New Jersey? Thx #hockeynight

Brodeur: Well I don't want to offend anybody. I had Kevin Weekes with me and we had a blast. I think my most successful tandem was with Chris Terreri. I started with him, took his job and he always understood me. We became roommates, then he left and he came back and we won another Stanley Cup together. Now he's my goalie coach. There are so many experiences that we've shared together.

Q: With Price, Fleury faltering in this playoff year, who are Marty's choices as goalies for Sochi 2014?...Himself maybe?

Brodeur: I think Luongo automatically should be in there with the experience he has. He was my back-up in Torino and he took my job in Vancouver. I know it has been a little bit harder for him lately but he's such a talented goalie and he should be considered as the top guy. Carey Price is another guy that I believe always excels on the international stage and he needs to get a shot. Cam Ward could push the envelop for Team Canada to invite him. Mike Smith is another candidate. There are so many good goalies, Canada is lucky.

If Team Canada asks, I would never say no. They've been so good to me. They allowed me to live so many great experiences with the Olympics and the World Cups. I owe it to them if they feel like I could help them, I'd be there.

Q: how would it feel to be on the cover of EA's #NHL14

Brodeur: It would be fun. At first I didn't think much of it because I didn't really follow last year's cover vote. Me on the cover of a game? I think I'm a little old. My kids were like 'Dad, you've gotta try!' I got my brother involved and a few of my friends and we started this campaign. Now we're in the top 4 and it's pretty cool.

Full "interview" here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/community/opinion/2013/05/twitter-qa-with-martin-brodeur.html

He took his jerb!

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
sorry, marty.....canada is not lucky

Merica wins in the goaltending department.

sad what has happened to Canada's goalies. Price, Fleury, Luongo? All headcases.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
sorry, marty.....canada is not lucky

Merica wins in the goaltending department.

sad what has happened to Canada's goalies. Price, Fleury, Luongo? All headcases.

There's always OVERRATED SCAM ward.

Or flash in the pan - leaning tower of padsa Mike Smith.:laugh:

I'd still take Luongo over their other choices. I would take Quick, Anderson, and Howard over almost all of Canada's guys though.

Finland has a lot of good goalies too. Maybe they can loan one to Canada?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quick is the best in the league right now.

I think Lundqvist is better. Besides Quick hasn't been tested much the last couple games. Too many shots to his massive sized chest protector like that last one from Burns.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think Lundqvist is better. Besides Quick hasn't been tested much the last couple games. Too many shots to his massive sized chest protector like that last one from Burns.

All else even, you take Lundy over Quick in a game-7?

I take Quick.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Lundqvist played for the Kings in the SCF last year they still would have won. I can think of a few goalies that still would have won.

We never got to test Quick the way we did Lundqvist in the ECF. If we did then we may have won the cup. If Quick plays for the Rangers last year in the ECF we still win.

The Rangers wish they played as organized a system as the Kings do.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quick is more athletic IMO and takes away more of the net.
I just view him as more unbeatable than Lundy.

Quick is great, but this team is very well structured.

Last game they killed off a 4 minute double minor. Quick had to make one save in those 4 minutes, and it was with 5 seconds left. They did a fantastic job at cutting off the shooting lanes, and they're playing the same way tonight.

Quick's high glove isn't that great either. The Sharks have shot at it twice this series. First time it bent the pipe, and second time it burned Quick badly. Hell, the one time we did it last year Henrique blasted one and scored.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No doubt the kings are better than the Rags but I still think Quick is better. No way for anyone to prove or debunk it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad