CBC cuts staff in lieu of NHL cancellation - including Cole's heir apparent Cuthbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They got rid of Cuthbert when he is their CFL guy?

:amazed:

Someone in America should sign this guy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sam Losco said:
Does this mean that plug Greg Millen will be around when the NHL resumes?

Please God no.

I knew there was something to come out of this lockout that was good. I don't have to listen to Greg Millen.

ResidentAlien*

go kim johnsson said:
Please God no.

I knew there was something to come out of this lockout that was good. I don't have to listen to Greg Millen.

Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressurePuck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressurePuck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressurePuck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressurePuck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure Puck pressure

He drove me crazeeeee

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
They'll bring him back when the NHL resumes... right?

This guy was a great broadcaster... This is pissing me off. The absolute stupidity of both sides are costing people their jobs.. People that don't have one single word in the outcome...

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
it's still dumb though, i agree. he was easily my favourite broadcaster, and had the knack to bring real and not phony excitement to the game.

that doesn't come with training, that comes from whether or not you've got it to begin with. he did.

MacDaddy TLC*

Millions of dogs across the world rejoicing at the news that Chris Cuthbert won't be getting excited at potential scoring opportunities anymore.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Some great quotes from the Vancouver-Calgary Series last year:

Cuthbert: Will the next goal be a series ender or a series extender.
and
Millen: Iginla is deadly on those empty nets.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
1 entry found for in lieu.
Main Entry: in lieu
Part of Speech: prep
Definition: instead; as substitute
Etymology: French `stead'

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The Toronto Star is reporting that Cuthbert was fired because of a personality conflict with Nancy Lee , Drector of CBC Sports.

CBC is all about politics.

Fom the Star article -

But one CBC staffer said Cuthbert and Lee often clashed and he paid the price for his principles.

"Chris was unafraid to stand up to management on issues that mattered to him.''

The staffer also said the news came as "an absolute shock" to everyone at the broadcasting corporation and, "it's very fair to say that people are angry."

The source also said staffers don't believe he was fired because of the lockout.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
pepty said:
The Toronto Star is reporting that Cuthbert was fired because of a personality conflict with Nancy Lee , Drector of CBC Sports.

Fom the Star article -

But one CBC staffer said Cuthbert and Lee often clashed and he paid the price for his principles.

The staffer also said the news came as "an absolute shock" to everyone at the broadcasting corporation and, "it's very fair to say that people are angry."

The source also said staffers don't believe he was fired because of the lockout.

they should fire nancy lee and hire cuthbert back

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
pepty said:

Fom the Star article -

I think he is one of the best in the business. If I was NBC, I would give him whatever he wants.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Scugs said:
They'll bring him back when the NHL resumes... right?

This guy was a great broadcaster... This is pissing me off. The absolute stupidity of both sides are costing people their jobs.. People that don't have one single word in the outcome...

Yes, but on a contract basis. If they play, he gets paids a per diem. If they don't, he doesn't. That said, his rate could be 2-3 times what he made as an employee but he doesn't get any benefits.

This could be good thing for Cuthbert. He can contract his services to various networks to call games (i.e. CFL and HNIC for CBC, CFL and Hockey for TSN and Sportsnet, etc.) Quality guys like Cuthbert are rarely out of work long.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
I think he is one of the best in the business. If I was NBC, I would give him whatever he wants.

If NBC picked him up, there would be hope for hockey on TV in the states... as long as they expanded their schedule to more than 7 games

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
bcrt2000 said:
If NBC picked him up, there would be hope for hockey on TV in the states... as long as they expanded their schedule to more than 7 games

That's the plan... :)

They could give him other things to do as well.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Cuthbert's high pitched voice is really annoying .

I'm kinda surprised at his firing though because these CBC guys tend to have ''jobs for life''

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Cuthberts voice is perfect for calling games. Easily the best play by play guy out there... Nancy Lee over Chris Cuthbert eh?
I mean its so easy to replace a top play by play guy but where would you ever find another bureaucrat to run the department....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad