CBC/Bell combining forces to bid for 2014, 2016 Candaian Olympic TV coverage

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
It's basically guaranteed to go to CBC/CTV. There are some who believe Rogers were thinking of making their own bid but I doubt they have much of a chance. Same with Shaw Media.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
It's basically guaranteed to go to CBC/CTV. There are some who believe Rogers were thinking of making their own bid but I doubt they have much of a chance. Same with Shaw Media.

I would not say guaranteed i do think they chances are good very good but if rogers was to enter the picture i would think they aslo would have a good chance.

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
I like this deal CBC and CTV struck because it could mean a few things in the future. I wonder if TSN ends up running the CBC sports division esentualy having the division leased out which would get many off the mother ships back when it comes to the CBC involved with sports.
TSN and CBC no doubt about it now will team up for the NHL TV rights and win against Rogers or who ever decides to bid. bad move on Rogers part on pulling out from the consortium.
Also when it's time for the CBC to get out of the Sports industry and it maybe after theses olympics id like to see the Hockey Night in Canada brand sold to Bell which would move it to CTV which would make the most sense to keeping the tradition alive. CTV after all is in as meny homes as the CBC. plus TSN personalities could end also end up up working at the CBC part of HNIN broadcast since TSN is over loaded with talent and HNIC we all know needs talent.

this new Consortium is a win win for both CBC and CTV and maybe bigger for TSN!

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Kind of a weird pairing.

What channel will hockey games be broadcast on? Both CTV and CBC?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I like this deal CBC and CTV struck because it could mean a few things in the future. I wonder if TSN ends up running the CBC sports division esentualy having the division leased out which would get many off the mother ships back when it comes to the CBC involved with sports.
TSN and CBC no doubt about it now will team up for the NHL TV rights and win against Rogers or who ever decides to bid. bad move on Rogers part on pulling out from the consortium.
Also when it's time for the CBC to get out of the Sports industry and it maybe after theses olympics id like to see the Hockey Night in Canada brand sold to Bell which would move it to CTV which would make the most sense to keeping the tradition alive. CTV after all is in as meny homes as the CBC. plus TSN personalities could end also end up up working at the CBC part of HNIN broadcast since TSN is over loaded with talent and HNIC we all know needs talent.

this new Consortium is a win win for both CBC and CTV and maybe bigger for TSN!

I don't know if i would go as far saying its a given that will do a joint bid for the nhl rights while its possible but i don't think its a lock thats not it can't happen anything can happen.Even if they did do a joint bid yes it would be very strong but it i would not say there is no question they would win if rogers does bid i think it could be a very interesting

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
I am not a fan of these consortium deals. The 2010 Olympics were a hassle to find on tv. I mean, they were on a dozen channels but it was damn near impossible to figure out what was where.

I kind of miss when CBC carried it all. Less options and they dictated what we saw, but at least I knew it was right there on channel 6. :laugh:

FakeKidPoker*

If CBC gets out of the sports business for a while they better NOT sell the name Hockey Night in Canada.

Would just be bad.... not even pretend.

FakeKidPoker*

Also with no Rogers.. who are CBC/Bell bidding against?

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
I realize that. What I mean to say is that some people were debating that Rogers plan is to avoid the consortium (since they only held 20%) and submit their own bid.

Didn't they back out because they were losing money? Even on the Vancouver games, which would be a higher draw. Hard to see them going it alone and taking all the loses.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I am not a fan of these consortium deals. The 2010 Olympics were a hassle to find on tv. I mean, they were on a dozen channels but it was damn near impossible to figure out what was where.

I kind of miss when CBC carried it all. Less options and they dictated what we saw, but at least I knew it was right there on channel 6. :laugh:

Personally, I watched all kinds of stuff during the 2010 Olympics and had no trouble finding any of it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Also with no Rogers.. who are CBC/Bell bidding against?

No one it looks like, that's why they did this. It is similar to how in the UK BBC and ITV jointly bid on the World Cup to keep the rights fees done.

I wouldn't read into this anymore that the above. I doubt it means anything in regards to the up coming NHL rights. The Olympics and the NHL are different animals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->