CBC and TSN close to new Canadian NHL TV Deal!

catjump

Oct 5, 2006
I think the fees are a little on the low side. English Premier league soccer gets $1B a year from tv spread over 20 teams from England alone. Also, there is little to no commercial time in soccer.

If you figure hockey is equally as important to Canadians as soccer is to the English and adjust for the population difference, there is about a $350M difference. The Leafs must make an absolute killing on rinkboard advertising, probably to the detriment of the rest of the league.

I'm glad the NHL is keeping the games on free tv. Although I'm curious if they follow in the footsteps of the NFL and start selling highlight packages rather than giving them away for free.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I think the fees are a little on the low side. English Premier league soccer gets $1B a year from tv spread over 20 teams from England alone. Also, there is little to no commercial time in soccer.

If you figure hockey is equally as important to Canadians as soccer is to the English and adjust for the population difference, there is about a $350M difference. The Leafs must make an absolute killing on rinkboard advertising, probably to the detriment of the rest of the league.

I'm glad the NHL is keeping the games on free tv. Although I'm curious if they follow in the footsteps of the NFL and start selling highlight packages rather than giving them away for free.

You would need to include the local TV rights in that as well I think. I'm pretty sure that every Canadian team gets over $10 mil for them, and the Leafs get upwards of $30 mil I think.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Why CBC is a great tradition and they do A great job with the games.

agreed. CBC does a very fine job. they're very traditional though. they have their way and that's what they stick to. i mean, they been doing this for what, 50 years? they know what they are doing, what they could use though is an injection of young blood, particularly in the broadcast booth. TSN isn't afraid to try new things which i also appreciate. it will be nice to have more variety.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Was hoping CBC would lose the rights completely to TSN or Sportsnet.

Totally. I was hoping that CTV would get the rights. Hopefully, this is off base and the NHL will bite on the CTV billion dollar multi-year deal. Heres to hoping.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Count me in as those wishing that CBC lost the rights altogether. I'm not a big believer in a publicly funded broadcaster showing programming that other private broadcasters would kill to have.

To me, it completely falls out of its mandate, if its not delivering something to Canadians that wouldn't be delivered without them. The fact that they deliver an inferior product makes it even more frustrating. Their lack of HD coverage is a travesty, IMO.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
agreed. CBC does a very fine job. they're very traditional though. they have their way and that's what they stick to. i mean, they been doing this for what, 50 years? they know what they are doing, what they could use though is an injection of young blood, particularly in the broadcast booth. TSN isn't afraid to try new things which i also appreciate. it will be nice to have more variety.

Could you imagine Harry Neale "between the glass" and Bob Cole essentially talking to himself in the booth. Although Neale would be able to physically measure those 37 foot shots from Tomas Kaberle.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Count me in as those wishing that CBC lost the rights altogether. I'm not a big believer in a publicly funded broadcaster showing programming that other private broadcasters would kill to have.

To me, it completely falls out of its mandate, if its not delivering something to Canadians that wouldn't be delivered without them. The fact that they deliver an inferior product makes it even more frustrating. Their lack of HD coverage is a travesty, IMO.

Ditto.

My cousin works for the Mother Corp and he said they figured they were losing rights because they thought a combined CTV/TSN package would simply outbid them. He also said CBC'd basically be screwed because hockey is all that keeps the network afloat. He also suggested the labour lockout CBC experienced was motivated by management looking to save cash and make up loses caused by the NHL lockout.

Any way you paint it, CBC shouldn't be in the business of broadcasting pro sports in this day and age. And the crummy HD coverage is a royal pain (because they only have one HD truck).

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Could you imagine Harry Neale "between the glass" and Bob Cole essentially talking to himself in the booth. Although Neale would be able to physically measure those 37 foot shots from Tomas Kaberle.

Cole would be wondering where the hell is Neale's voice coming from. "I can hear you but you aren't beside me."

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Why CBC is a great tradition and they do A great job with the games.

Growing up and leaving around Detroit all of my life I would be crushed in CBC lost the hockey rights to TSN. CBC channel 9 from Windsor has always been HNIC and it still comes in strong. My cable package carries CBC, but not TSN.

Crosby87.*

Growing up and leaving around Detroit all of my life I would be crushed in CBC lost the hockey rights to TSN. CBC channel 9 from Windsor has always been HNIC and it still comes in strong. My cable package carries CBC, but not TSN.

I have a cabin, and watch play off hockey out there. CBC is one of the only channels your can get out there, without satellite. This would kill me if we lost CBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad