CBA Update- per Eklund edit: even more news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JWI19 said:
What ruined his credibility is when he blog started he claimed he worked for two NHL teams. He's either a Lair or Fraud take your pick.
Why could he not be a independent consultant and have provided his services to multiple organizations ??

That makes him neither a fraud nor a Liar .. !!!!

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
For example, on last Wednesday he published a “rumor†that the NHLPA has agreed to the NHL’s request that it cease seeking union certification in British Colombia. Here’s the time stamp on that news, from his blog:

posted by Eklund @ 1:48 PM

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Regarding this alleged "break" of the certification story:

The story had already been reported on many updates on Mojo 640 Toronto long before he posted it. It was even already being discussed by posters as a legitimate news story before it emerged as a breaking "rumor" on the blog.

Good post, Heck you had posted the story here at HF before Eklund so call "broke" the story.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=146838

cram

Aug 10, 2003
Vancouver
nomorekids said:
Oh, well if EKLUND says it.

I hear that everything he says is suddenly true!

As a "fan" and every day reader of this board, I must say, it is very annoying to read whiny anti-eklund posts, jeez, is every thread reffering to him going to turn into a "he's wrong, he has no credibility, he can't spell or grammar check" thread????!!?? Give it up, the site has accepted him as a legit news source, quit stomping like spoiled children and deal with it. I don't believe everything he posts, and yeah he's wrong a bunch of times, but so are a bunch of "legitimate" news sources and have been in the past, so what???!!!

Anyway, sorry to contribute to the Eklund debate and going against the intention of the thread title, just had to get that off my chest, thanks.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Why could he not be a independent consultant and have provided his services to multiple organizations ??

That makes him neither a fraud nor a Liar .. !!!!

He also claimed he "wrote" a story for NHL.com too, well he did on the old blog. I give him credit for pulling the wool over so many peoples eyes. HE got over on a lot of people and deserve props for it.

ResidentAlien*

JWI19 said:
He also claimed he "wrote" a story for NHL.com too, well he did on the old blog. I give him credit for pulling the wool over so many peoples eyes. HE got over on a lot of people and deserve props for it.

how odd to give props to someone for "[Getting] over on a lot of people"

I do agree he deserves props for sticking with it though.

ctfan

Oct 2, 2004
Jealousy is a horrible thing. I'd rather read Ecklund's stuff than 20 pages of amateur armchair lawyers arguing endlessly over whether the PA or the NHL has the better stance in these negotiations. This stuff has been rehashed so many times on this board that's it's nearly impossible to get any news on the CBA without wading through the same ten posters pontificating ad nauseum.

ResidentAlien*

nferr said:
Jealousy is a horrible thing. I'd rather read Ecklund's stuff than 20 pages of amateur armchair lawyers arguing endlessly over whether the PA or the NHL has the better stance in these negotiations. This stuff has been rehashed so many times on this board that's it's nearly impossible to get any news on the CBA without wading through the same ten posters pontificating ad nauseum.
:handclap:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
nferr said:

:biglaugh:

You have misread things very, very badly if that's what you think.

GSC2k2*

nferr said:
Jealousy is a horrible thing. I'd rather read Ecklund's stuff than 20 pages of amateur armchair lawyers arguing endlessly over whether the PA or the NHL has the better stance in these negotiations.

I am not an amateur.

Nor do I sit in an armchair (although I admit to sitting on the occasional divan).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Did everyone forget this or just not see it last time this Eklund stuff up?

BobMcKenzie said:
I wrote the following as a reply to a thread that was just closed. I'll throw it out there now and if the mods feel it, too, should be locked, so be it, no problem, but I wanted to go on record with the following:

I have said it before, I will say it again...when it comes to Eklund, do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Which is to suggest he sometimes has very good information that no one else has. Which is to suggest he sometimes has totally bogus information that has not an ounce of truth to it. He puts up stuff unfiltered, whatever he hears, he posts. If he hears something, he puts it up, and there is clearly a lack of accountability and he's the first to tell you that...it's a rumour site, it's a blog.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to some people in high places because I know for a fact he does. I also know for a fact that a lot of people in hockey, in all positions in the NHL, check him out every day. The challenge is figuring out what's totally bogus and what's legit. You guys are at a disadvantage because you can't do that directly. I can and I can tell you there has been information posted there that no one else had that was indeed factual. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think some NHL players don't burn up his e-mail line.

That doesn't make him an authoritative voice on the lockout, but it doesn't make him a fraud or a phony either. I personally wouldn't pay 10 bucks to get his "inside" stuff, but I wouldn't ignore everything he writes either. I'm not sure what his batting average is on right vs. wrong -- on volume, it's probably not Ted Williams-like -- but I know of some so-called "legitimate" news sources who are below the Mendosa line when it comes to accuracy on lockout coverage

Bob McKenzie June 15

That's all that needs to be said. End of debate. he gets legit stuff but doesn't know what is good and what isn't.

He is the first person to have said the free agent age will drop through the course of the CBA. He may get that one correct.

ResidentAlien*

Dr Love said:
Why do people think that people are jealous of Eklund?

I would say that some people if not jealous, certainly have a major bug up there butt about the popularity he has acquired. That can look or appear a lot like jealousy. I would bet my Beer budget that at least a few people that constantly bash him( some in a childish manner IMO)would give both testes to be in the position he is in now. Obviously he has some real contacts. has been on many sports radio talk shows, and now has an offer to be hosted by a major outlet. All because of his RUMOR site. Through said site he has gotten the notoriety that has lead to the contacts, talk radio, etc etc..
I dont know about you, but it would be cool to have a rolodex full of NHL r's and Execs that you could get insight from.
Further, what he created, like it or not, he created out of thin air..appluad him for it.
Some of you who are saying "give props to him for he has duped the world!!" obviously need to re-think their views.
At the very least he has entertained and given optimism during a bleak time...wish I could say I did that, but I didnt ..so I recognize who did and give him credit, not bashing.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Marathon Meetings Continue.
They are indeed at it again today..
One source source confirmed that the "Deal is not done, " while another added "there is a lot still to do."
I know what you are all thinking..."been there, done that!" Am I right? (because that is what I am saying)
Well you would be wrong...things are moving along...in fact there is a growing sense that some of the negative stuff circulating in media circles in the last 24 hours is false and not at all justified....One source said, "I really think they are gunning for that July 1st date."

CalgaryThrasher

Feb 28, 2003
Calgary Alberta Cana
Visit site
Eklund-phobes make me laugh... :biglaugh: Seriously you bunch of whiners... don't like what the man does? Don't pay attention to him!!! It isn't hard to do.

The fact is, and no offense to HF... the guy has generated more attention for himself than almost everyone in the hockey world outside of Gary Bettman/Bill Daly & Bob Goodenow/Ted Saskin.

Once the deal is done, Eklund is done... people won't give a rats ass about what he has to say at that point because we'll have hockey back.

I read his blog daily because it's entertaining and positive, do I believe everything? No... I take everything with a huge grain of salt but that could be said for any member of the media.

Like I said once before it's in his address hockeyrumors.blogspot.com you should know going in he's nothing but a rumor machine posting whatever he hears without fear of being right or wrong.

In the words of J.R. Wake Up HF users, Wake Up!

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
CalgaryThrasher said:
Like I said once before it's in his address hockeyrumors.blogspot.com you should know going in he's nothing but a rumor machine posting whatever he hears without fear of being right or wrong.

But he's also saying things like "I also want to thank HFBoards.com for sanctioning the blog as a legitimate news source." If it's nothing but a collection of unverified rumors, it's not a legitimate news source - those are supposed to make some effort to check whether or not the "news" they're printing is true. He can't have it both ways.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
A lot of his news is actually true. Remember Hockey News actually reported first that a deal was done in February. Eklund also reported that the NHLPA was going to re-open negotiations to un-cancel the season. And look what happened? I think I'm going to believe him and Bob Mckenzie right now. Anyone else isn't very legit, seeing that they're (NHL/NHLPA) keeping a lot of the sensitive things to themselves away from the major media. I think 94 was just like this before they announced the deal.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Bob M seems to be the most relible source in the media. I watch his opinion the most.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would say that some people if not jealous, certainly have a major bug up there butt about the popularity he has acquired. That can look or appear a lot like jealousy. I would bet my Beer budget that at least a few people that constantly bash him( some in a childish manner IMO)would give both testes to be in the position he is in now. Obviously he has some real contacts. has been on many sports radio talk shows, and now has an offer to be hosted by a major outlet. All because of his RUMOR site. Through said site he has gotten the notoriety that has lead to the contacts, talk radio, etc etc..
I dont know about you, but it would be cool to have a rolodex full of NHL r's and Execs that you could get insight from.
Further, what he created, like it or not, he created out of thin air..appluad him for it.
Some of you who are saying "give props to him for he has duped the world!!" obviously need to re-think their views.
At the very least he has entertained and given optimism during a bleak time...wish I could say I did that, but I didnt ..so I recognize who did and give him credit, not bashing.

I think it has a lot less to do with his "popularity" and a lot more to do with the fact a lot of his "info" back in 2004 was completely and utterly wrong. There was a lot of "things are moving forward and a deal is almost done, the NHLPA has collapsed" and that kind of stuff way back in like november or december. he was calling the lockout over way back then and that miffed a lot of people

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
i think from now on we shouldn't have threads which are just started based on "nothing to report" or "meetings ended at 11" posts from Eklund's blog (nothing wrong with his posts), but they should be mentioned in the MDT threads as it would be more appropriate

ResidentAlien*

Levitate said:
I think it has a lot less to do with his "popularity" and a lot more to do with the fact a lot of his "info" back in 2004 was completely and utterly wrong. There was a lot of "things are moving forward and a deal is almost done, the NHLPA has collapsed" and that kind of stuff way back in like november or december. he was calling the lockout over way back then and that miffed a lot of people
I understand, but respectfully disagree.
So he was wrong, a lot of media been wrong..
He was wrong, but now has sources, those are two facts.
The ones that deny it with the "you are all being fooled, he is an idiot and has no sources" arguement are the ones that I would say if not jealous, then not paying attention. You decide ;)

EDIT: I do agree with bcrt above about posting his stuff in MDT though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad