CBA Update from Eklund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
Peace and Quiet
From a source, "If they were in trouble, they would be meeting this weekend. The time is very short, and last weeks marathon talks should tell you this is serious. i am confident that even though there is work to do as Ted said in his release, what is left can not derail the process.."
And that, I would say, is pretty where the inside hockey world is as they wake up today. I think a sigh of relief can be heard somewhat if you listen real closely...Another source, "The PA was being super diligent on small issues, so much so that the anticipation of what was to come when the big issues were drawn up was overwhelming people's radar and fear. It looks like that concern may have been addressed in some way, because people left Toronto happy."
There will be no rant today...sorry! I am in a too good of a mood after talking to everyone...I was going to write about how the NBA is being foolish for announcing a deal without anything being written up...but I don't really like basketball anyway....I wouldn't have done an NBA lockout blog, that I know!
I need a rant for tomorrow from one of you, so feel free to email me in your thoughts to [email protected].
anyway...
It is a beautiful day in Philadelphia...you can feel the pressure lifting...you can start to hear names like Pronger, Kariya, and Neidermeyer being murmured...perhaps next Saturday we'll talk about free agents.....for that we will need a lot of rest...it will be an amazing thing indeed.
So today instead of calling and emailing a zillion hockey people I plan to fall asleep on a beach somewhere near Ocean City, NJ while listening to the new Coldplay on my IPOD and feeling the air and waves around me...How good a song is "Fix You?"

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When did Ted Saskin say that what is left cannot derail the process?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the lack of negotiations on the weekend is telling; however, when two sides want something to workout it usually does. The owners have clearly taken control of the tail and the players understand they need to get a deal done asap.

I'm looking at July 15th as the latest and anything before that will be welcome; no doubt the 4th would be great for all hockey people but its coming fast.

Today is usually a good day for the Brooks, Conway, Dupont and all those Canadien scribes to get updated for tomorrow's columns. Should be interesting.

Glad Eklund comments can be posted here because regardless of what you think he loves hockey and is passionate. I enjoy him. Ten years ago we would be lucky to have even 1% of the ability to talk, track, and follow this.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
go kim johnsson said:
When did Ted Saskin say that what is left cannot derail the process?

He is not syaing that Ted Saskin said that, what he is saying is that Ted said there is work to be done. The "source" is saying whats left can not derail the process. Thats how I read it anyway.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
To say that the process of an unratified, incomplete deal can't be derailed is going a little too far in my opinion. Even though I would agree it is unlikely after all they have been through. Bob goodenow hasn't been fired yet. They wouldn't be intensively meeting if there were not issues of substance to straighten out.

Going from an agreement on an envelope to a detailed agreement in writing does have the effect of reopening each issue while the wording gets debated.

It seems to be looking good but like any deal, it ain't over until the deal is signed.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
pkwjr said:
.... as Ted said in his release, what is left can not derail the process.."
[/url]

Link?

All I have seen is the following:

'The two parties engaged in lengthy negotiations every day this week, and while progress has been made in a number of areas, there remains a considerable amount of work to be completed in order to reach an agreement,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement. ''We will be continuing our meetings with the league on Monday morning in New York.''

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Smotheredhope said:
Link?

All I have seen is the following:

'The two parties engaged in lengthy negotiations every day this week, and while progress has been made in a number of areas, there remains a considerable amount of work to be completed in order to reach an agreement,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement. ''We will be continuing our meetings with the league on Monday morning in New York.''
use the whole sentence in the quote...

"If they were in trouble, they would be meeting this weekend. The time is very short, and last weeks marathon talks should tell you this is serious. i am confident that even though there is work to do as Ted said in his release, what is left can not derail the process.."

ted says there was work to do, source says the work that is left cannot derail the process

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Wasn't Eklund and his blog banned from being discussed on this board?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Scugs said:
Yea for some reason he is deemed acceptable now and its caused too much crap, IMO..

The only crap being caused is by those who go berserk at the mere sight of the word Eklund.

Right now they are ten times the problem Eklund and his blog ever were.

Crossroads*

Eklund is nothing but a fraud working in the mail room at the Hockey News centre.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Crazy_Ike said:
The only crap being caused is by those who go berserk at the mere sight of the word Eklund.

Immediately followed by...

Crossroads said:
Eklund is nothing but a fraud working in the mail room at the Hockey News centre.
That's off the charts unintentional humor.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm glad that Eklund is posting his updates here, that means I can laugh without giving another hit to his site.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Well to be fair this is now the second Eklund blog thread in roughly 12 hours that has essentially stated nothing. The Saskin quote is something that has already floated through the "big" media, and the rest of the stuff is nothing more than general statements, that even verified by sources is little more than stating opinions.

I have no problem if people buy into Eklund, but I think we need to be a little more subjective when posting Eklund blogs. Just because he updates his site doesn't mean we need to post what he updated.

The NHL/PA are most likely taking the weekend off to digest what went on, and to recouperate from the marathon meetings. The longer the meetings go, the more risk for things hitting nerves during the negotiations. They need to get away from each other to prevent doing things that could "derail" the negotiations.

The thing that bothers me is the people who start to get upset when people get upset over no-new-news Eklund threads. Every single Al Strachan, Bruce Garrioch, Larry Brooks thread is laced with criticism of the writer. I see the criticism of Eklund in the exact same light. Just let it happen. If Eklund updates his blog with something new and insightful then people need to check themselves before criticism, but when we are given threads on "Meetings are over and I am going to do no work today and listen to Coldplay on my I-Pod", there is absolutely no need for that to be brought up.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Crazy_Ike said:

I disagree. Eklund and the members of his cult are the problem. This part of the HF board is much better off w/o anything that mentions or has anything to do with Eklund.

Oil_slick9416*

Scugs said:
Yea for some reason he is deemed acceptable now and its caused too much crap, IMO..

geez, it's just a blog you people really should calm the hell down about eklund, did he kill your family or something?

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
blah said:
I disagree. Eklund and the members of his cult are the problem. This part of the HF board is much better off w/o anything that mentions or has anything to do with Eklund.

I have been watching how this Eklund inclusion on HF boards has been playing out over the past 4 days. Here are some observations:

1] Both threads that he has personally started have added no insight or information and have been locked. All three of his posts have likewise added no insight as to the CBA.

2] All previous three threads concerning him have been locked...and I have no doubt this one will too in the near future.

3] There was a decent discussion on the power of the anonymous blog and its shortcomings.

4] The daily thread citing Eklund's "nothing new" update is annoying to many HF posters.

It does not appear to me that adding Eklund threads and discussion has added anything to the quality of the HF board experience, but has in fact, cheapened it, so to speak. If people want to check out the whether their hero is spending the day on the beach listening to his Ipod or driving to NY...let them check out his site on there own...

My 2 cents and $3.00 will by you a cup of coffee at your corner Starbucks......

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
If you have problems with a board policy, please handle it the correct way and email the admins. Complaining here gets you nowhere.

That said, it would be nice if people only posted things from this blog that were actually noteworthy or discussion worthy. I'm not seeing anything new in that posting. :dunno:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Oil_slick9416 said:
geez, it's just a blog you people really should calm the hell down about eklund, did he kill your family or something?

I think you should double check who should be calming down. I just said it's caused too much crap. If you've noticed almost all the Eklund threads have been locked. This one is on the same path.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I don't like Eklund. I hate his insecure indirect name dropping "rather than emailing a zillion hockey contacts" or whatever. Is this guy like 12 or what?

What is scary is the amount of so-called legit media that have given this guy props. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad