CBA solution:Win-Win for Players, Owners & Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdsrangers

Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
I blame both sides for the lack of progress on a new CBA BUT the owners need to present a proposal with all the issues address and the players need to respond to the deal. To date their has not been one proposal that addresses all the issues!

The owners locked out the players the owners want a salary Cap which is a good starting point and the players need to counter offer what the owners want. Its all about give and take.

It sounds like the owners are saying "its my way or the highway"! The players are paying union dues and the union represents them. The Salary Cap is a BIG issue but there are plenty of other issues to be resolved. It should be alot of give and take.

Think about it Bettmanand the Owners are not looking to have a give and take session. If management on both sides wanted to get a new CBA done then they would work on a two to three year aggreement that will make changes that start with a higher CAP and lower salary Floor that be be adjusted each year to fine tune the changes over time that need to happen for the NHL to move forward.

This way the players are giving into the CAP solution but at a measured pace. If the Cap starts at say $50M and moves down $5M a year, it gives both the owners and players a chance to see if the CAP works for both sides. The players will want a $25M floor to make sure that teams can afford to be part of a CAP friendy NHL.

This is a WIN-WIN-WIN for both the Players, Owners and the Fans. :handclap:

The Players get to play Hockey and a salaly Floor, the owners get the CAP they want and the fans will get lower ticket prices because of the CAP!

It should be this simple BUT both sides needs to set a short term goal that will lead to a Long Term solution! :teach:

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
jdsrangers said:
I blame both sides for the lack of progress on a new CBA BUT the owners need to present a proposal with all the issues address and the players need to respond to the deal. To date their has not been one proposal that addresses all the issues!

The owners locked out the players the owners want a salary Cap which is a good starting point and the players need to counter offer what the owners want. Its all about give and take.

It sounds like the owners are saying "its my way or the highway"! The players are paying union dues and the union represents them. The Salary Cap is a BIG issue but there are plenty of other issues to be resolved. It should be alot of give and take.

Think about it Bettmanand the Owners are not looking to have a give and take session. If management on both sides wanted to get a new CBA done then they would work on a two to three year aggreement that will make changes that start with a higher CAP and lower salary Floor that be be adjusted each year to fine tune the changes over time that need to happen for the NHL to move forward.

This way the players are giving into the CAP solution but at a measured pace. If the Cap starts at say $50M and moves down $5M a year, it gives both the owners and players a chance to see if the CAP works for both sides. The players will want a $25M floor to make sure that teams can afford to be part of a CAP friendy NHL.

The Players get to play Hockey and a salaly Floor, the owners get the CAP they want and the fans will get lower ticket prices because of the CAP!

It should be this simple BUT both sides needs to set a short term goal that will lead to a Long Term solution! :teach:

only way you're going to see lower ticket prices is if the fans of x team ( x can be one ore more teams) believe that they're not see a product on ice that's contingent on what they pay for tickets. If enough fans speak out then there will be a change. however if it's just a few who complain then it's likely that those fans just won't be seeing a hockey game at the rink and other fans will be in their place. I still believe that there's some correalation (sp?) between ticket prices and payroll, but i haven't gone deep enough yet to actually verify it so it still remains a mystery.

jdsrangers

Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
garry1221 said:
only way you're going to see lower ticket prices is if the fans of x team ( x can be one ore more teams) believe that they're not see a product on ice that's contingent on what they pay for tickets. If enough fans speak out then there will be a change. however if it's just a few who complain then it's likely that those fans just won't be seeing a hockey game at the rink and other fans will be in their place. I still believe that there's some correalation (sp?) between ticket prices and payroll, but i haven't gone deep enough yet to actually verify it so it still remains a mystery.

Thats why my solution of a Salary CAP(win-win owners) & a Salary Floor (win-win players) that will adjust each year to fine tune the problem since both sides can't agree on a start and finish line.

Think about it, if teams had to spend say min $25M to max $50M, both sides will see if this will help fill the seats in each NHL city. It may take 5 years to have a true CAP/Floor in place but its a start.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
jdsrangers said:

the problem with your insistance that each side present proposals is that as long as each side holds to their salary cap/no salary cap position there will be no progress.

there is no way to compromise a yes or no situation....there is no middle ground.

jdsrangers

Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
txpd said:
the problem with your insistance that each side present proposals is that as long as each side holds to their salary cap/no salary cap position there will be no progress.

there is no way to compromise a yes or no situation....there is no middle ground.

My idea is to have a both a Salary Cap & Salary Floor. Set the Cap at $50M and a Floor at say $25M. Since both sides don't trust each others numbers the #'s can be fine turned.

Both sides owe it to fans that buy ticket buys to at least have a starting point. The owners win since the get a Salary CAP and the Players win since each team willl have to spend $25M Salary Floor. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad