CBA Questions: Future Considerations and Options

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
After being interested in the CBA, I decided to download and read the official CBA from the NHL. Unfortunately, it wasn't written in English :sarcasm: . I have a few questions that I was hoping that you guys would be able to answer.

1. When you trade future considerations, is it similar to a conditional draft pick? What is it?

2. I know options on contracts are not allowed in the NHL, but WHY? It seems like it would be a great way to keep the flow in the NHL, so those "Big Risk" contracts (see Rick DiPietro, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Jason Spezza) would be less likely to hinder a team over the course of a DECADE.

Thanks,

Manked

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
After being interested in the CBA, I decided to download and read the official CBA from the NHL. Unfortunately, it wasn't written in English :sarcasm: . I have a few questions that I was hoping that you guys would be able to answer.

1. When you trade future considerations, is it similar to a conditional draft pick? What is it?

2. I know options on contracts are not allowed in the NHL, but WHY? It seems like it would be a great way to keep the flow in the NHL, so those "Big Risk" contracts (see Rick DiPietro, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Jason Spezza) would be less likely to hinder a team over the course of a DECADE.

Thanks,

Manked

re question 2........... if a team doesn't want a "big risk" contract it is simple....don't sign one.
english version is here-http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
re question 2........... if a team doesn't want a "big risk" contract it is simple....don't sign one.
english version is here-http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/

Understandable, but I still think to open up the flow of players going from one team to another, options should be allowed.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Understandable, but I still think to open up the flow of players going from one team to another, options should be allowed.

There are lots of options......trades, buyouts, free agency.........there is no shortage of player movement.

If you are suggesting that a team should be able to walk from a contract if things don't go their way I disagree.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Future considerations can be pretty much anything except cash. It is typically something non tangible - rights to swap draft picks, a commitment to pick or pick a player in an expansion draft, etc - however, all of the parameters of the consideration must be defined when the trade is made and cannot be left TBD.

Thanks,

Manked

Because player/team options mess up cap hit calculations (which are based on avg salary over a deal) - and depending on how they are accounted for could lead to cap circumvention.

There are rules that grandfathered in existing options - but new SPCs with options could lead to cap loopholes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->