Salary Cap: CBA expiration 9/15/20 if opted-out in Sept 2019, or by default after '21-22 season.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Mods, feel free to move into the around the NHL thread or lock / delete if this should stay on main boards only.

Thread for CBA expiration, especially as may impact Sabres strategy, contracts, roster, etc.

From the usual web searches of the more popular online sports news outlets, I surmise the following:

1. The current CBA is a 10-year deal, expiring after the 2021–22 season. The NHL can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 1, 2019 (expiring 9/15/2020). The NHLPA can choose to opt out of the CBA on September 19, 2019. Current agreement expires after 2021-22 season.

2. NHL previously offered a return to Olympic participation for an extension of the current CBA (2 year extension?).

3. Players issues are reportedly Olympics and either reducing or capping the escrow amount. Link I read says escrow has been ~11.5% withheld from paychecks to ensure 50/50 split.

4. It's been reported league-wide revenue growth has been strong and owners are generally pleased with the CBA.

5. It's been reported some discussions have already begun.

Things I assume:

6. I assume Board of governors will vote on opting out. (That is they will vote on the matter, not that I assume they will vote affirmatively to opt out.) I don't know if they'll take a simple majority or super-majority decision. Surely they don't delegate that power to Bettman, or a subset of the BOG.

7. I assume NHLPA reps will similarly vote on opting out (again, take a vote, not that I assume they'll vote affirmative to opt out). I don't know how individual teams handle these things. Do they vote and the rep then votes their majority will, or do they delegate their rep to vote as he wishes? Do certain teams do it differently? I can see pros and cons both ways.

8. The principals are Bettman and Fehr. If early discussions have begun as reported, I don't know if those two are involved directly, or have delegated to their colleagues on some working committee, and will themselves "join later". [I've personally had only minor insight into labor agreement negotiations, and those followed pattern bargaining.]

9. Newly-negotiated and/or recently-negotiated contracts likely have a 2020-21 salary structured with a higher proportion bonus payment due either 7/1/20 or sometime before 9/15/20. (Similar to the Aho offersheet, although that OS had other motivations by MTL against CAR.)

Things I don't know:

10. Will there be a push to move off of the 50/50 HRR split the two parties migrated to over the years?

11. Is there serious issue with what constitutes HHR?

12. Is concussion health and post-retirement medical funding / research a sticking point?

13. Ownership likely wants more buyouts, whether annually, or one-time only with a new deal or an extension. NHLPA is probably ok with it as it's more money to players / more roster slots opening up to new players.

14. Should the potential for an opt-out influence anything BUF does NOW with player contracts? UFA signings? RFA deals? Trades? Signing or not signing draft choices?

If either side decides to opt out, we can discuss all those ramifications come September.

15. Will the Olympic participation and schedule break be back in the deal? More international games?

16. Normal issues like owners wanting annual and/or total term $ limits, and NHLPA wanting shorter term limits or early RFA / UFA eligibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad