CBA benefits small markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

preddevil

Mar 9, 2004
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/07/16/1134566-sun.html

"The salary cap does give Winnipeg the chance to get back in, but the only flaw in that is that Carolina and Nashville and these teams in the south we were hoping would fold and come to Winnipeg are also benefiting from the new CBA," said MacLean. "The other concern I have is that if you're a player right now, the only thing you have to look forward to as a free agent is a better choice of environment."

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I like the quote later on about him saying Crosby will be in buffalo. You know that after all the talk about Sidney going to either NYR or TO, that Buffalo would love to rub it in both of their neighbours (especially TO). If LA can't have him, go Buffalo go!!! :handclap:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i think the new CBA might indirectly help europian leagues. I can see alot of europian players opting to move back to Europe for contracts that are roughly the same price.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
boredmale said:
i think the new CBA might indirectly help europian leagues. I can see alot of europian players opting to move back to Europe for contracts that are roughly the same price.

I could see the RSL snatching up a handful of the middle of the pack players, but for the most part, European league teams don't have as much to spend on player salaries as NHL teams do. Since it's mainly the RSL who can afford to pay NHL-comparable salaries, it's going to be mainly Russian players who would be going to Europe. But I don't see this sort of thing happening on a scale that would significantly impact the NHL.

It's the guys like Ovechkin that we should be worried about - really good, young players who aren't NHLers yet, but are already getting paid over $2 million. It's going to be hard for guys like him to swallow $850,000 for 4 years in a different country versus the $2+ million while living at home.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
boredmale said:

Just wondering if you realize that the NHL minimum salary is about DOUBLE what most of the European leagues pay, except for the Russian leagues. There is a chance that a Russian elite prospect might stay, but he would be SEVERELY hindering his earning potential over his career.

Look at a possiblity for Ovechkin.
15 year career in Russia: Likely $30M+ total career earnings.
15 year NHL career: 3 years at $1m per, 4 years at avg of $4M per, and 8 years at $7M per = $73M

I still expect that all elite level players in the world will play in the NHL.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Beukeboom Fan said:
Just wondering if you realize that the NHL minimum salary is about DOUBLE what most of the European leagues pay, except for the Russian leagues. There is a chance that a Russian elite prospect might stay, but he would be SEVERELY hindering his earning potential over his career.

Look at a possiblity for Ovechkin.
15 year career in Russia: Likely $30M+ total career earnings.
15 year NHL career: 3 years at $1m per, 4 years at avg of $4M per, and 8 years at $7M per = $73M

I still expect that all elite level players in the world will play in the NHL.

Rookie cap is 4 years at 850K a year isn't it? Not that it would alter your math much, but I think that's the basis of people's arguements. He's pretty much gauranteed to make 2+ mill in Russia a year, where he could earn much more in the NHL, but runs a risk of making less if he stumbles.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Beukeboom Fan said:

i am refering to marginal NHLers, let's say like Kristian Huselius of florida, who is probably going to get roughly a lil over a million dollars in the NHL, might prefer playing in europe for similar cash

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Although when you factor in the improved pension plan of the NHL. Along with a strong Insurance plan in case you get injured the NHL becomes of more value.

No one refers to these advantages of the NHL. But I would doubt the Russian league would have much, if any for a pension plan for their players. And Insurance in many of those leagues may as be not as good as in the NHL.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
kingsfan said:
Rookie cap is 4 years at 850K a year isn't it? Not that it would alter your math much, but I think that's the basis of people's arguements. He's pretty much gauranteed to make 2+ mill in Russia a year, where he could earn much more in the NHL, but runs a risk of making less if he stumbles.

$850K + bonuses. Some if which could be very large for a player like Ovechkin if he meets anything like the hype.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
$850K + bonuses. Some if which could be very large for a player like Ovechkin if he meets anything like the hype.

Excellent point. My understanding is that the bonuses won't be easy to attain but if he's (AO) as good as advertised, then there should be no worries of him possibly making up the difference in salary with the RSL.

Robert Paulson*

kingsfan said:
If he stumbles in the NHL, he could always go back to Russia for his 2+ million a year. It's safe to say he's already in decent shape as far as finances goes, and I believe that the thrill of being a superstar and loved by many around the world in the NHL would be more than enough to bring him across the pond.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
LetsGoPens63 said:
If he stumbles in the NHL, he could always go back to Russia for his 2+ million a year. It's safe to say he's already in decent shape as far as finances goes, and I believe that the thrill of being a superstar and loved by many around the world in the NHL would be more than enough to bring him across the pond.

Not if he's signed for 4 years. He's stuck there till his deal is up and if he has some crappy numbers over that four year span, do you think the russian league will automatically be throwing 2+ mill at him again? Unlikely. If AO pulls an Alexandre Daigle, there is no way he gets 2 mill+, sorry.

Also, a massive media spotlight isn't a drawcard for all players. Who says AO wants to be a world reknowned darling? Personally, if I had the chance of a guaranteed 2 mill and the opportunity to play in my home country rather than go to Russia for 850K and have my every play analyzed by hundreds of sportscasters every night, I'd stay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad