Cayouche's Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I tried to make it original and realistic. What do you think ?

Round 1
1. Washington Capitals : Alexander Ovechkin
The Obvious #1 prospects, one of the best prospects in 10years with Kovalchuk. Only with tat name, Washington can have faith.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins : Evegny Malkin
Could be a #1 pick in another draft, this year Ovechkin is the Phenom and next year Crosby but Malkin is still a very good prospects, too bad for Penguins fan who had almost an AHL team this season and do not draft the best prospect in the draft.

3. Chicago Blackhawks : Rotislav Olesz
Another Fowards prospects for Chicago I Know they could draft Barker but I feel Olesz in much better than Barker at this point and the Blackhawks won't draft with their needs but the BPA.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets : Lauri Tukonen
A Little suprise here, I'm very high on Tukonen, I think he's the complete package and can do it all, It's hard to pass on Barker but Tukonen is a studd.

5. Phoenix Coyotes : Andrew Ladd
Again a team pass on Barker, I know you'll say Barker is a Sure TOP5; i don't think so, and with Ladd, the Coyotes think they drafted another Doan and you can't have enough of these player

6. New York Rangers : Cam Barker
Finnaly, the first defense of the draft is taken by the NYR, the rangers try to rebuild and Barker is a solid base. I think he's overrated a little bit but he's still a good prospects and New-York can't pass on him.

7. Florida Panthers : Drew Stafford
They Wanted Ladd or Barker, htey were sure that AT LEAST one of the 2 will be available, no. So they draft a kid that is underrated, PF type of player he can score makes GREAT pass and can Hit. They Pass on Wolski cause rather have a prospect who play every night and work harder.

8. Carolina Hurricanes : A.J. Thelen
The 2nd best Defense in the draft, and I don't think Thelen is far behind Barker. He's Big, Mobile can play well in all the 3 zones, the complete package. Carolina don't have a lot of prospects and needs almost anything ( except Goalie ) so the BPA is the way to draft.

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks : Alexandre Picard
I'm high on Picard, he's a good siper and doesn't shy away from physical play, he is a constant offensive threat, cmoes playoff time he elevate his play. Captain Material IMO

10. Atlanta Thrashers : Robbie Schremp
A Player who fall a bit, but I don't think it's because of his Attitude. He have #1 center potential and that's what Atalanta needs and at the same time he's The BPA

11. Los Angeles Kings : Marek Schwarz
Well it's coming obvious that L-A will draft a goalie in the First, at least I think so. They Have Grebs and Gleason at Defense and Tamby Cammy Boyle Brown ... and Offense.

12. Minnesota Wild : Wojtek Wolski
One of the Best sniper of the draft, He's big but do not use his big frame, he skate well. But some say that he don't come and play 100% on every shift. Lemaire should teach him that.

13. Buffalo Sabres : Alexander Radulov
Radulov is a Offensive wizard, no doubt about it, he has all the tools a sniper needs to scores a **** load of goal, but he is not fond of physical play and some say he's a player who had troubles with coachs and teammates, that's never good

14. Edmonton Oilers : Kyle Chipchura
A lot of poster think edmonton might draft Montoya of Schwarz, why ? They have JDD who I think is a very good goalie and should be a good #1 in the league. They migth draft on goalie in the first but not with the 14th pick.Chipchura he's not the most talented OFFENSIVE players left but he can do other things that make you a valuable NHLer, he can play offense, defense, he delivers good bodychecks and from what I heard, e's a good leader both on and off the ice.

15. Nashville Predators : David Bolland
I know it's a little early for Bolland but I Think he's the best Foward available and I think Nashville needs skilled foward like David, they have Glazachev and Shishkanov but after that...and their prospect defense core is one of the best in the league.

16. New York Islanders : Ladislav Smid
This one was tough, a lots of good Defense prospects available, and NYI choice is the Czech Smid. Played a good WJC, he has a hard and an accurate shot.

17. St.Louis Blues : Alvaro Montoya
Another Tough one, Montoya is the BPA available since Schwarz but the other team didn't need Goalies so at this point you can't pass on him, Unless you are the Trashers or the Penguins

18. Montreal Canadiens : Andrej Meszaros
I'm a Montreal Fan and trust me this one is hard, you have a BIG defense ( what we need ) in Valabik, another good one in Green you also have O'neil, one of my favorite and don't forget Fransson, A.Savard already said last year that he wanted Fransson and he was high on him,finnaly i choose Meszaros because I see some A.Markov in him and that's very good if you ask me

19. Calgary Flames : Lukas Kaspar
The flames seem to like physical player who works hard and crash the net or deliver good body check, ( ie : Nystrom Phaneuf ) so I think Kaspar with his PF abilities is the perfect choice.

20. Dallas Stars : Wes O'neil
He was once considered the 2nd best defense availble in this draft, don't know what happened but with his big frame and stay at home play and the fact that Martin Vagner may not be signed i think O'neil is a good choice.

21. Colorado Avalanche : Boris Valabik
I tought Valabik would have been a TOP20 pick so at 21 i think it's a great pick for Colorado who have always rebuild by Trade and UFA so to wait maybe a little bit longer that it would have been with Green, it's not a problem for them.

22. New Jersey Devils : Bruce Graham
6'6 Center, good speed, great shot not very physical but crash the net. Last year they took Parise who fall because of his size but this year they take a risk with Graham.

23. Ottawa Senators : Mike Green
I think The Senators are set for at least 5-6 years at fowards with the Young Core so they draft the best defense and best player available Mike Green.

24. New York Rangers : Enver Lisin
With the Unexpected pick of Barker at the beginning of the round, NYR can now draft a foward and a speedy one cause i heard Lisin is the fastest skater in the draft ad have some sick skills to go with hit.

25. Edmonton Oilers : Kyrill Lyamin
IMO Lyamin is underrated and Edmonton will take him cause he's he BPA. He make a good 1rst pass throw is body around can play PK and PP.

26. Vancouver Canucks : Johan Fransson
Fransson is IMO one of the safest pick in the draft, he can do it all but he's not great in anything. Could be a TOP4

27. Washington Capitals : Adam Berti
PF abilities but he's a bit risky, but in all fairness Wash have a lot of Prospects and One of the Best ( AO ) they can take a chance on him

28. San Jose Sharks : Adam Pineault
Pineault stock have fall, he didn't put up some great points in BC but in all fairness they had a very deep team, next year with Moncton in the Q he will play wit he's future teamates in San-Jose Steve Bernier. PF duo, should be great.

29. Tampa Bay Lightning : Cory Schneider
I do't agree with CSC list, they have him has the 6 or 7 best Goalie sin draft and I think he's the 3rd best. Tampa don't have any good goalie prospects so Cory is their man

30. Washington Capitals : Oscar Hedman
Already with 2 fowards taken so far, Washington decided to go defense with this pick and their choice is Hedman.

Round 2
31. Pittsburgh Penguins : Evan McGrath
32. Chicago Blackhawks : Sami Lepisto
33. Washington Capitals : Roman Voloshenko
34. Dallas Stars : Vaclav Meidl
35. Phoenix Coyotes : David Shantz
36. New York Rangers : Bryan Bickell
37. New York Rangers : Jeff Schultz
38. Carolina Hurricanes : Jakub Sindel
39. Anaheim Mighty Ducks : Sergei Ogorodnikov
40. Atlanta Thrashers : Viktor Alexandrov
41. Chicago Blackhawks : Devan Dubnyk
42. Minnesota Wild : Roman Tesliuk
43. Buffalo Sabres : Johannes Salmonsson
44. Edmonton Oilers : Petteri Nokelainen
45. Chicago Blackhawks : Ryan Garlock
46. New York Islanders : Travis Zajac
47. St.Louis Blues : Tyler Haskins
48. NewYork Rangers : Blake Wheeler
49. Florida Panthers : Mark Fistric
50. Chicago Blackhawks : David Booth
51. Colorado Avalanche : Aki Seitsonen
52. Phoenix Coyotes : Kyle Wharton
53. Phoenix Coyotes : Michael Funk
54. Pittsburgh Penguins : Brett Carson
55. Ottawa Senators : Martin Karsums
56. Carolina Hurricanes : Andy Rogers
57. Washington Capitals : Lauri Korpikoski
58. San Jose Sharks : Kyle Klubertanz
59. Tampa Bay Lightning : Mikhail Yunkov
60. Boston Bruins : Petr Pohl

Munchausen

Good mock Cayouche, nice effort.

Few comments,

I think Stafford will not be a top-10 pick. I see him going around 12, after the likes of Thelen, Picard and even possibly Radulov.

As for Florida, I beleive they might take Thelen or Barker if one of them is available. They desperetely need a top Dman to play with JayBo and are loaded up front.

I think Wolski might go before Schremp, mainly due to his great size to go along his fine offensive skills.

As for Montreal, I like your choice, but honestly, if Green's still there, I don't see them passing on him. He's got terrific speed, plays a solid 2-way game and loves to land some open ice hits. He's also a righty which is of great need in Montreal.

I have a hunch that Colorado might go for a forward. They have a good mix of quality veterans and youngsters at D while Forsberg, Selanne and Kariya are likely all gone next year. I see them going after Lisin.

Finally I think you're dead on with LA and St. Louis. I too feel they're the two teams that will end up with the two top goalies in this draft.

thestonedkoala

If Wheeler is there in the second round, the Wild will take a chance on him. Big kid that is from Minnesota? PR team would salivate over him. Think Irmen last year.

Also I would love to see Radulov over Wolski, I mean just imagine...Gaborik- O'Sullivan-Radulov line...

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
I never criticize a Mock Drafter for going out on a limb, such as picking Malkin to drop to #6. These things sometimes happen, and I tire of reading mock drafts that just repeat the conventional wisdom. Personally my anti-CW pick is for Olesz to be the one that falls to #6, but I don't know any more than you, so don't worry about it. Anyway, I think you have a good effort, but I have some comments.

I am convinced that Valabik is going to be a top 12 pick. Having watched drafts for the past half-dozen years or so, i have noticed a definite trend that big, mean defensemen tend to be late risers, even if they're "projects". A defenseman of that type projected to go at #20 a month before the draft will have moved up at least a half-dozen spots by draft day.

I think Schremp is going to be this year's Patrick O'Sullivan. Everyone keeps having him go to the Rangers at #6, but I think that if the Rangers get him, it will be at their #26 pick. He's going to drop, and rightly so. I'm a Rangers fan, and the things I hear about him make me not want to pick him even if he's available at #26. Oh, and on a related note, the Rangers' second pick is at #26 (or #25 if Calgary wins the SC) not #24.

I really see the Rangers picking up a LW with at least one first round pick. It's by far our weakest position throughout the organization, so we'd probably reach for a LW at #26 even if we didn't think he was the best player available if we don't get a LW at #6. But, that's CW and you know how I feel about CW.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
HighlyRegardedRookie said:
I never criticize a Mock Drafter for going out on a limb, such as picking Malkin to drop to #6. These things sometimes happen, and I tire of reading mock drafts that just repeat the conventional wisdom. Personally my anti-CW pick is for Olesz to be the one that falls to #6, but I don't know any more than you, so don't worry about it. Anyway, I think you have a good effort, but I have some comments.

I am convinced that Valabik is going to be a top 12 pick. Having watched drafts for the past half-dozen years or so, i have noticed a definite trend that big, mean defensemen tend to be late risers, even if they're "projects". A defenseman of that type projected to go at #20 a month before the draft will have moved up at least a half-dozen spots by draft day.

I think Schremp is going to be this year's Patrick O'Sullivan. Everyone keeps having him go to the Rangers at #6, but I think that if the Rangers get him, it will be at their #26 pick. He's going to drop, and rightly so. I'm a Rangers fan, and the things I hear about him make me not want to pick him even if he's available at #26. Oh, and on a related note, the Rangers' second pick is at #26 (or #25 if Calgary wins the SC) not #24.

I really see the Rangers picking up a LW with at least one first round pick. It's by far our weakest position throughout the organization, so we'd probably reach for a LW at #26 even if we didn't think he was the best player available if we don't get a LW at #6. But, that's CW and you know how I feel about CW.

I really hope your wrong about our picks. If Schremp dropped to 26th I have no doubt the rangers would be celebrating all night to get Schremp at the #26 pick, make no doubt, he's absolutely the most pure talent in the draft.

Now as for drafting, if the team starts picking based on position and not BPA we're in BIG BIG trouble. I can understand passing on a goalie, but to pass on a C, RW and D just for a LW who doesn't deserve to be picked then, but is because he's a LW is a huge huge no-no when drafting. You draft BPA, not position, except goalies

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
Fleuryfan29 said:
I like it all but the PENS pick 31st overall Evan Mcgrath, if Oscar Hedman was available for that pick, i believe thats where the PENS would go.

great job with the draft, you werent afraid to go out on a limb which a lot of other mocks dont do -- i have to agree with flueryfan29 about the pens second round pick of not taking mcgrath. however, i see the pens taking another forward with that pick -- perhaps Viktor Alexandrov or Lauri Korpikoski and then a dman with the pick they acquired from vancouver in the hedberg trade later in the second round

we are set goaltending wise with fluery, caron and chiodo among others, so i doubt 'cp' will take one in the first 6 rounds.

Divine Wind

Flame_Star_Devil said:
I could see that happening if a team is really high on Smid. He's got great upside.

Plus he is rated the top european defense prospect(4th overall in europe).

CaptainCanada

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Munchausen said:
Good mock Cayouche, nice effort.

As for Montreal, I like your choice, but honestly, if Green's still there, I don't see them passing on him. He's got terrific speed, plays a solid 2-way game and loves to land some open ice hits. He's also a righty which is of great need in Montreal.

ACtually, Montreal has too many righties! Rivet, Breezer, Q, Komisarek... Unless you were talking about the defensive prospect pool.... :dunno:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Lisin doesn't fit the profile of the players Sather/Renney/Maloney have drafted in the first three rounds in their tenure. If the Rangers take a forward, he will have good size - Murray, Falardeau, Jonasen, Jessiman, for example. I would think the likes of Graham, Wheeler, Soderberg or Pineault are to be more likely to be candidates.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
jas said:
Lisin doesn't fit the profile of the players Sather/Renney/Maloney have drafted in the first three rounds in their tenure. If the Rangers take a forward, he will have good size - Murray, Falardeau, Jonasen, Jessiman, for example. I would think the likes of Graham, Wheeler, Soderberg or Pineault are to be more likely to be candidates.

don't be so sure. I mean Balej is not a typical Sather guy, nor is Kondratiev. I really think that they're going Euro this year.

KH1

rnyquist said:
don't be so sure. I mean Balej is not a typical Sather guy, nor is Kondratiev. I really think that they're going Euro this year.
Then again, Slats didn't draft either of those players and he was in a position in which he had to get rid of his players for the best he could get. Kondratiev and Balej could easily just have been the best prospects available at the time, so he pulled the trigger.

Munchausen

CaptainCanada said:
ACtually, Montreal has too many righties! Rivet, Breezer, Q, Komisarek... Unless you were talking about the defensive prospect pool.... :dunno:

Yes I was talking about the future. Quintal is likely history with the team. He won't be signed this summer. Brisebois has one or two years of overpaid salary before Montreal likely lets him walk. Rivet is also overpaid, but younger, so the Habs could keep him if he takes a salary cut. If not, he's also a goner in 3 years. That leaves Komisarek and other suspects like Korneev, O'Byrne and Archer. Not very bright on the right side.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Then again, Slats didn't draft either of those players and he was in a position in which he had to get rid of his players for the best he could get. Kondratiev and Balej could easily just have been the best prospects available at the time, so he pulled the trigger.

And thats part of the point. Sather may have taken the BPA over guys like Coliacovo (as mentioned by Brooks) or the dozen Habs prospects who were bigger, stronger and North American. If Anything this draft demonstrates that Sather takes the BPA, not based on character or where he's born as some seem to be pointing out, but rather their pure talent

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
rnyquist said:
I really hope your wrong about our picks. If Schremp dropped to 26th I have no doubt the rangers would be celebrating all night to get Schremp at the #26 pick, make no doubt, he's absolutely the most pure talent in the draft.

The things I hear about Schremp just scream out "ALEXANDRE DAIGLE!" to me. I can't think of any players who had a reputation for laziness and underachieving who have made an impact in the NHL. When, as Edge says of Schremp, a very talented player is outplayed for most of a season by much less talented players, only to turn it on when the scouts are all watching, I think that's a player that is likely to bust. If he's available at #26 (a distinct possibility in my estimation) I wouldn't object heavily to taking him, but to be honest I don't expect to see Schremp in NHL boxscores in 5 years.

He's one of those players who is either going to be a first line player at 26, or out of the NHL at 26.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't like at all the Ducks picks, but this is one of the best mock draft I've seen this year. Some surprises choices (Green and Sindel that low, Picard that high...), but overall it's a great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->