Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember his goalie coach was interviewed after he was drafted. Montreal media reached out to him. And he said that his bad stats in the USHL were not indicative of how good he was.

He had also said that Montreal was one of two or three teams that truly did their due diligence on Primeau. Nobody reached out to the goalie coach to understand why the numbers were bad. Montreal did. I really liked reading that.

I believe he had an injury and didn't tell anyone and that the coach just favored the other guy. Either way it's looking like a great pick by the staff, just odd how that year our 1st round pick is looking like a 7th round pick and our 7th round pick is looking like a 1st round pick.

Didnt he once mention how he was completely aware about the fact the habs had NO more draft picks that year and then at the last moment traded back IN the draft in the 7th and final round to select him, and how he will never forget they did that for him.

Honestly just give him the back up spot until Carey is no longer around

I'm sure his dad was hoping his former team would pick him in that spot instead of trading the pick to us.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I believe he had an injury and didn't tell anyone and that the coach just favored the other guy. Either way it's looking like a great pick by the staff, just odd how that year our 1st round pick is looking like a 7th round pick and our 7th round pick is looking like a 1st round pick.

I'm sure his dad was hoping his former team would pick him in that spot instead of trading the pick to us.

Well there was no guarantee he would even get drafted at all when youre in the 7th round, im sure Pops was astounded he got picked no matter what the team

Funnily enough, I wonder if the words "Carey Price" flashed through his mind when he DID hear Montreal...the same way they obviously flashed in Zach Fucales Dads mind in that fantastic gif lmao

Reactions: donghabs98

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It’ll be interesting to see what the Habs do with the goaltending situation, given they have no ECHL affiliation. I have to think Lindgren gets moved and they go after a veteran again. It still leaves them 3 guys in the minors though. Primeau has to start if they want him to develop. I’m not sure they should give up on Mcniven though. Demchenko might be a wild card. Who know, but I think he’s just too small.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Laval Rocket season review: Cayden Primeau solidified his potential

“Inconsistency is to be expected. Primeau entered the season at 20 years old, in his first professional season. Every player deals with adversity and struggles at one point or another. The question is how you respond, and Primeau responded beautifully. Goaltending this past season was not easy to find a rhythm. With the AHL schedule, often games are back-to-back on weekends, and sometimes surrounded by five days off, meaning goalies can often go a full week between starts. By the end of the season, however, Primeau played so well that he took the reins as the team was just about to enter its playoff push.”

“The calmness follows him off the ice, where he never gets too high or too low after games, no matter what the result was. He always had the puck from his first AHL win in his locker stall, even late in the season. His poise is quite remarkable for such a young player. The traits he shows are traits that many star goaltenders have.”

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Laval Rocket season review: Cayden Primeau solidified his potential

“Inconsistency is to be expected. Primeau entered the season at 20 years old, in his first professional season. Every player deals with adversity and struggles at one point or another. The question is how you respond, and Primeau responded beautifully. Goaltending this past season was not easy to find a rhythm. With the AHL schedule, often games are back-to-back on weekends, and sometimes surrounded by five days off, meaning goalies can often go a full week between starts. By the end of the season, however, Primeau played so well that he took the reins as the team was just about to enter its playoff push.”

“The calmness follows him off the ice, where he never gets too high or too low after games, no matter what the result was. He always had the puck from his first AHL win in his locker stall, even late in the season. His poise is quite remarkable for such a young player. The traits he shows are traits that many star goaltenders have.”

yeah as cliched as it is, that mentality is so key for goalies. all players but especially goalies.

i remember his sophomore season started out fairly underwhelming but then course corrected in a big way after the wjcs i believe.

good to hear he did it again this year. i remember he started out really good then slumped for a bit but couldn't quite recollect how he ended.

i would love it if he wasn't necessarily better than price at his best but if he was more consistent.

the debate will always rage on when price is middling whether it's the team in front of him or whether it was him to blame. probably a bit of both at times. all goalies let in bad goals but my personal opinion is that he's probably been a little too Jekyll and Hyde of late. it's nigh impossible though to really sift through all those weak performances and single out when it was him or when it was the team. it seems like there will always be a debate there which means to me that it's a mix of both. not hating Price. not a fan of that contract though

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We'll have a better feel for where his game is at after next season but down the road I expect him to be a top 10 goalie in the NHL, that's how good I think he is. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if his career numbers end up not far off from Price's in terms of gaa and save % as I certainly hope the Habs don't over play him like they did to Price.

That said goalies are the toughest for me to gauge as it's the only position I never played.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We'll have a better feel for where his game is at after next season but down the road I expect him to be a top 10 goalie in the NHL, that's how good I think he is. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if his career numbers end up not far off from Price's in terms of gaa and save % as I certainly hope the Habs don't over play him like they did to Price.

That said goalies are the toughest for me to gauge as it's the only position I never played.

Couple things I've seen previously should be easily fixable as he continues to develop.. He had some hitches in his lateral movement that are slowly getting ironed out (watch Price and how smooth he pushes laterally, you can actively see Primeau load his weight and then push, instead of a clean transfer, this is technique and should be ironed out); some rebound control issues (comes with experience and repetition as well).

As long as the team continues to simmer him and not throw him into the NHL, he should be fine. Size is there, athleticism is there, mentality is there, would like to see him get a little more active with his hands in front but that's not taught as much in NA as it is in Europe.

Won't be a good puck handler like Price, though.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well there was no guarantee he would even get drafted at all when youre in the 7th round, im sure Pops was astounded he got picked no matter what the team

Funnily enough, I wonder if the words "Carey Price" flashed through his mind when he DID hear Montreal...the same way they obviously flashed in Zach Fucales Dads mind in that fantastic gif lmao

Whoever was pushing Timmins to take Primeau deserves credit! I remember an article talking about that.... someone was banging the table and said you better draft the kid and a 7th round dart at that point is steal

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Top 10 goalie is a big statement. Hope that becomes true and yeah... there is lots to like at this point. I actually think Laval will be a better defensive team next year too so I do expect Primeau to look even better. We will see

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Whoever was pushing Timmins to take Primeau deserves credit! I remember an article talking about that.... someone was banging the table and said you better draft the kid and a 7th round dart at that point is steal

Canadiens 2017 draft pick Cayden Primeau proving to be a hidden gem | Montreal Gazette

“We had him ranked higher on our list and when he was still available we made a move to acquire a pick,” said assistant general manager Trevor Timmins. He had seen Primeau on several occasions and was being pushed by scout Bill Berglund.

I thought this was interesting from his dad on draft day,

Cayden Primeau ecstatic to join Canadiens' goaltending fraternity

“An Original Six team, the opportunity to put a Habs jersey, my mom was crying,” Keith said. “Two things, he is a percentage goaltender who plays big. You got to beat him with a good shot.

“And his temperament. He is never too high or too low. In that market, that is going to bode well and will be huge.”

Cayden was ecstatic. The list of Canadien goalies is legendary: Jacques Plante, Gump Worsley, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy and now Carey Price.

“There really isn’t one word to describe it all,” Cayden said. “Just being in an organization with great goalies from the past.

“Right now, Carey Price, I can learn from him. And take from him anything he does on and off the ice and above and beyond anything else.”

He ranked No. 7 among North American goaltenders by NHL Central Scouting.

Top 10 goalie is a big statement. Hope that becomes true and yeah... there is lots to like at this point. I actually think Laval will be a better defensive team next year too so I do expect Primeau to look even better. We will see

So far he's impressed everywhere he's been and if not for his 5 bad game run his numbers would have look a good bit better in Laval. I'm sure he will have a better year next season assuming there is one.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Couple things I've seen previously should be easily fixable as he continues to develop.. He had some hitches in his lateral movement that are slowly getting ironed out (watch Price and how smooth he pushes laterally, you can actively see Primeau load his weight and then push, instead of a clean transfer, this is technique and should be ironed out); some rebound control issues (comes with experience and repetition as well).

As long as the team continues to simmer him and not throw him into the NHL, he should be fine. Size is there, athleticism is there, mentality is there, would like to see him get a little more active with his hands in front but that's not taught as much in NA as it is in Europe.

Won't be a good puck handler like Price, though.

Yeah honestly he may have the abilities to perform as good or even better than Price, but that last part about puck handling is what truly elevate Price to another level for me. It is so underrated, yet so usefull to have a goalie that can pass tape to tape, and IMO Price is the best doing that

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Primeau-PressConference(20/07/15)

“Being in my first time in a environment like this, I think it's gonna be huge. Just trying to soak as much as I can. There's so much to learn from Price, from the others great hockey mind and from the others goalies that are here as well.”

“It's a friendly competition. We're all very friendly, we've great relationship. I'm super fortunate and lucky about that. There's great guys. It's great to be able to converse with them. We wanna see each others succeed, but we also want to be the one to succeed at the end of the day.”

“I get more time to rest. So when I'm in the net I can push that extra bit. I've to make sure I'm working over 100% every time, to try to make an impression.”

“I'm a huge believer in videos. Growing up I was told that videos doesn't lie and it doesn't. I've always enjoyed videos. It’s a great way to learn and progress. It's a great tool to utilize.”

“Everyone was missing sports. So the fact that they're starting to come back slowly has everyone paying more attention. I think it's great. Honestly, being on this side of things and understanding what the MLS and NBA are going through, makes me respect what they're doing so much more. It's exciting and it's great to have sports back.”

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Here's to hoping his 22nd year on this earth ends up even better than his 21st. Sky's the limit for this kid but he'll have to really earn it.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That was by far his best game with the Rocket.

That Year 2 has to be an entire season in the AHL and nowhere else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->