Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How good is this kid? Will he be a legit NHL starter?

too early to say just yet but there's no doubt he's among the very best goalie prospects. He's certainly trending to not only be a legit NHL stater but a very good one. He reminds me so much of Price, not saying he will be sub 2 gaa Price, but we just have to wait and see how much he can continue to progress. So far since being drafted things have gone excellent for him outside of a small bump in the road in his rookie year with Laval as he started outstanding, struggled with his consistency and then was playing perhaps his best hockey of the year and was poised to lead us into the playoffs had the season not been canceled.

Reactions: Redux91 and Gravity

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Dont know, but it would be an awesome experience for him...
I agree. No harm in it either. We are gonna ride or die with CP anyway. Get Primeau the experience he needs to better position him to take the backup job next year.

In terms of long term future, I think Primeau can be a consistently good starter in this league.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I get this feeling Habs will draft Askarov in hopes of having a future goalie tamdem of Primeau and Askarov playing roughly 50/50 games.

Hope not though. I want Rossi!

Primeau can take over Price some day!

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I get this feeling Habs will draft Askarov in hopes of having a future goalie tamdem of Primeau and Askarov playing roughly 50/50 games.

to me if they draft Askarov, I would assume that they are doing so because they aren't 100% sold on Primeau and will look to trade one at some point as you can't have 2 of your top say 5 prospects be goalies since there's only going to be one starter come playoff time as you don't want to have 2 of your best players as goalies.

That said if they did draft him we would have a flat out sick group of defense and goalie prospects. But I would be very surprised as we badly need to get a high skilled forward, this team must improve it's winger prospect depth in a big way and this seems like a really good time to do it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm in favor of taking the best player available, but not high on a goalie. I guess if they're sure he's the next vasilevski it's worth it. Primeau is unproven and Price will need to be replaced.

Reactions: Gravity

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-9_13-14-40.png

upload_2020-6-9_13-16-28.png

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm in favor of taking the best player available, but not high on a goalie. I guess if they're sure he's the next vasilevski it's worth it. Primeau is unproven and Price will need to be replaced.

i don't get your logic, no prospects are proven... but right now Primeau has proved much more than Askarov.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

“Playing in Lincoln was a HUGE jump for me. I was really young and struggled at times, but as I pushed through the challenges and grew as a player and person I gained a ton of confidence. I'd say it allowed me to grow a ton and made the challenges I've faced since then quite a bit easier. I think my parents would say I matured most as a person while I was there and that has allowed me to progress into professional hockey at a very young age. All in all, it was a huge growth year for me.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Ranked #5 at the top 10 drafted NHL goalie prospects by The Athletic :thumbu:
Wheeler: “Primeau had a bit of an up and down rookie season at the pro level but that’s to be expected for most prospects, even the best among them. It can be easy to forget that he’s only 20 and he has an August birthday because it feels like he has been around forever. I liked the way he started and finished the year, which included a nice run of play at the end of February and into March before the shutdown. I don’t think he has to be as aggressive in the net as he is, because it can pull him out of position or force him into tough saves, but Primeau has the size and the technical skill on his feet or in his butterfly to stay involved in the play and recover from mistakes.”

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Habs certainly could be looking at a legit steal as getting a possible 1st round talent in the 7th round would be sick for us.

I remember his goalie coach was interviewed after he was drafted. Montreal media reached out to him. And he said that his bad stats in the USHL were not indicative of how good he was.

He had also said that Montreal was one of two or three teams that truly did their due diligence on Primeau. Nobody reached out to the goalie coach to understand why the numbers were bad. Montreal did. I really liked reading that.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The Habs certainly could be looking at a legit steal as getting a possible 1st round talent in the 7th round would be sick for us.

Didnt he once mention how he was completely aware about the fact the habs had NO more draft picks that year and then at the last moment traded back IN the draft in the 7th and final round to select him, and how he will never forget they did that for him.

Honestly just give him the back up spot until Carey is no longer around

Reactions: donghabs98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->