• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I'm really excited to see Cole continue his development and eventually suit up & score for the Habs.

That said, Robertson has already suited up for the NHL and didn't look out of place (though understandably showed the need to increase strength).

I think Nicholas is likely a slightly more effective player all around, but Caufield is more deadly on the man advantage.

Interesting Poll,

Cheers

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Caufield was better pre-draft, Robertson has been better since the draft. Overall it's a toss up. It's pretty cool that there's even a discussion considering how much later Robertson was drafted
Robertson has not been better since the draft. They both have done well since the draft, other than the WJC. And the WJC was because of a bumbling incompetent coach (which is why he was fired).

And re the OP, Robertson has a deadly and accurate shot too.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Robertson has not been better since the draft. They both have done well since the draft, other than the WJC. And the WJC was because of a bumbling incompetent coach (which is why he was fired).

And re the OP, Robertson has a deadly and accurate shot too.

Let's see. 55 goals in 46 games while putting up nearly 2 PPG. 5 points in 5 games at WJC while not playing on the top line or top PP (Not 100% on sure on the PP part). Scoring 1st NHL goal as an 18 year old in the Stanley cup playoffs while not looking out of place on the 3rd line.

Caufield has been great no doubt, but Robertson had the 7th highest goals per game season in OHL history. Better than John Tavares and Patrick Kane who are 17/18 respectively in that list. All other players in the top 20 set their records in the 80s/90s when scoring was much higher. Caufield didn't set any NCAA scoring records. Robertson had a historic season while playing as an 18 year old.

Caufield might end up the better player down the road and he will definitely be a bigger center piece of the Habs offense in the near future but if we're being factual here, Robertson has solidly outperformed Caufield in their respective draft +1 seasons by a decent amount. Considering that Caufield was stellar this year, it just goes to show just how much better Robertson was.

Robertson also has a legitimate shot at being on the Leafs this upcoming season. It's not completely off base to say that Robertson might potentially have almost 2 NHL seasons under his belt as a mid/late 2nd rounder who was days away from being eligible for the 2020 draft and had he not been 2-3 months premature, he would've been a 2020 draftee.

Robertson has been everything Caufield has been touted to be leading up to the draft.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Let's see. 55 goals in 46 games while putting up nearly 2 PPG. 5 points in 5 games at WJC while not playing on the top line or top PP (Not 100% on sure on the PP part). Scoring 1st NHL goal as an 18 year old in the Stanley cup playoffs while not looking out of place on the 3rd line.

Caufield has been great no doubt, but Robertson had the 7th highest goals per game season in OHL history. Better than John Tavares and Patrick Kane who are 17/18 respectively in that list. All other players in the top 20 set their records in the 80s/90s when scoring was much higher. Caufield didn't set any NCAA scoring records. Robertson had a historic season while playing as an 18 year old.

Caufield might end up the better player down the road and he will definitely be a bigger center piece of the Habs offense in the near future but if we're being factual here, Robertson has solidly outperformed Caufield in their respective draft +1 seasons by a decent amount. Considering that Caufield was stellar this year, it just goes to show just how much better Robertson was.

Robertson also has a legitimate shot at being on the Leafs this upcoming season. It's not completely off base to say that Robertson might potentially have almost 2 NHL seasons under his belt as a mid/late 2nd rounder who was days away from being eligible for the 2020 draft and had he not been 2-3 months premature, he would've been a 2020 draftee.

Robertson has been everything Caufield has been touted to be leading up to the draft.

Caufield scored 72 goals and 100 points in 64 games in his draft year, and beat the records of Kessel and Matthews in the process.

Had Caufield played in the ohl last season, he wouldve easily been over a goal per game player and wouldve had a historic season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Caufield scored 72 goals and 100 points in 64 games in his draft year, and beat the records of Kessel and Matthews in the process.

Had Caufield played in the ohl last season, he wouldve easily been over a goal per game player and wouldve had a historic season.
You do realize that neither Kessel nor Matthews played their draft season at the NTDP correct? Caufield set those records as an 17/18 year old in his draft season while Matthews was in Europe winning Swiss league rookie of the year and a couple votes away from being their MVP. While Kessel was in Minnesota shitting on Caufield's D+1 season while being a draft eligible player.

If either one of Kane, Kessel or Matthews went back to the NTDP, Caufield wouldn't sniff any records and neither would have Jack Hughes two years ago.

I know Habs fans want to put out narratives to boost their guy, but let's keep it within reason. I see people on HF and twitter saying how Caufield has 50 goal potential while Robertson tops out at 30 goals. When in reality both guys probably have an even shot at hitting 30s. Caufield as great as he may be on the PP is 5'7 in a league that is not forgiving to smaller scorers. Even a guy like DeBrincat had Patrick Kane feeding him goals and put up low 40s in what looks like the perfect storm of a season. And I easily put DeBrincat above both Caufield and Robertson right now, so projecting Caufield as a 50 goal guy seems like an absolute joke.

I think if Caufield becomes a 60-70 point guy in the NHL down the line it's a homerun for the Habs. Considering the piss poor offensive numbers Habs players put up and the fact that Caufield probably isn't going to have a ton of easy goals 5 v 5.

If Roberston can be a 20 goals-50 point guy while playing quality PK and secondary scoring role on the Leafs, that's a homerun for the Leafs. He is in a much better situation to not only succeed and hit his potential but also to overachieve if he can find chemistry with a Marner or a Nylander/ JT.

D+1 seasons however, there's not much of an argument for Caufield over Robertson.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol why has Robertson been better since the draft? Because he got drafted by the Leafs? Reminds me of the time some Leaf fans tried to say SDA was close to Kotkaniemi.
bad post all around, but I really don't understand why Habs fans are so intent on comparing their first round picks to the Leafs 2nd/3rd round picks. Kotkaniemi went 3rd overall, SDA went 76th. It's not impressive if he ends up better. I don't see Leafs fans beating their chests to compare Marner to Lukas Vejdemo or whatever. You're also not very good at evaluating prospects if you think Kotkaniemi vs SDA is a reasonable comparison for Robertson vs Caufield

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lol why has Robertson been better since the draft? Because he got drafted by the Leafs? Reminds me of the time some Leaf fans tried to say SDA was close to Kotkaniemi.
I mean feel free to read some of the posts in this thread and look up the stats. Just because he's Leafs property doesn't mean a whole lot on HF. A guy like Liljegren would be touted above Romanov and rightfully so, yet no one on HF including Leafs fans are giving him much love.

Reactions: Rob Brown

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
bad post all around, but I really don't understand why Habs fans are so intent on comparing their first round picks to the Leafs 2nd/3rd round picks. Kotkaniemi went 3rd overall, SDA went 76th. It's not impressive if he ends up better. I don't see Leafs fans beating their chests to compare Marner to Lukas Vejdemo or whatever. You're also not very good at evaluating prospects if you think Kotkaniemi vs SDA is a reasonable comparison for Robertson vs Caufield

Since 2012 both Leafs have had 4 top 10 picks and Habs have had 3 top 10 picks. Habs 2 3rd overalls and a 9th overall. They've gotten Sergachev (traded for a former 3rd overall pick in Drouin) at 9, Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi at 3.

Leafs have had 1st overall, 4th overall, 5th overall and 8th overall. They selected Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, William Nylander.

Disregarding the obvious pick in Matthews. Leafs have absolutely hit homeruns on their draft picks in the top 10. And then supplemented with guys like Lilly, Sandin, Amirov, Robertson, Gauthier. Meanwhile the Habs have done nothing but a miserable job of drafting with their high picks and bungle all their other 1st rounders. Guys like Juulsen, Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherback, Poehling have been atrocious picks.

Caufield looks promising and I do have high hopes though. Guhle was a terrible pick and one of two players that I was praying the Leafs wouldn't touch.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bad post because it's true? Probably because Leaf fans keep trying to shove their prospects success down everyones throat. Bad reading comprehension on your behalf. I'm not comparing KK to SDA, merely pointing out how absurd the hype of Leaf prospects are from Leaf fans. SDA does well in camp and suddenly Leaf fans are saying he is close to KK at that time. Habs fans weren't the ones brining up the comparison. I never said that it's a reasonable comparison on player evaluation, you are just further proving how you have poor reading comprehension. To say that Robertson has been better than Caufield is since the draft is not an argument that you can say is not debatable like you are trying to do.

I mean feel free to read some of the posts in this thread and look up the stats. Just because he's Leafs property doesn't mean a whole lot on HF. A guy like Liljegren would be touted above Romanov and rightfully so, yet no one on HF including Leafs fans are giving him much love.
Ya that's just flat out wrong. Several Leaf fans have called Liljegren a surefire #1 dman.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Bad post because it's true? Probably because Leaf fans keep trying to shove their prospects success down everyones throat. Bad reading comprehension on your behalf. I'm not comparing KK to SDA, merely pointing out how absurd the hype of Leaf prospects are from Leaf fans. SDA does well in camp and suddenly Leaf fans are saying he is close to KK at that time. Habs fans weren't the ones brining up the comparison. I never said that it's a reasonable comparison on player evaluation, you are just further proving how you have poor reading comprehension. To say that Robertson has been better than Caufield is since the draft is not an argument that you can say is not debatable like you are trying to do.

Ya that's just flat out wrong. Several Leaf fans have called Liljegren a surefire #1 dman.

Give me 2 sample posts. Because I can assure you, outside of the early pre-draft hype, Timmy has been getting shit on by Leafs fans as a collective and HF as a whole. There's very few Leafs fans like myself who have had faith in him this whole time and even we are very cautiously optimistic that he's going to be a top 4 RHD. Maybe you're confusing posts calling him a surefire #1 dman in the AHL?

As for the KK vs SDA comparison, that's another that I find hard to believe unless people were trying to take a jab at KK. SDA has been a great prospect for us but I don't think you'd find more than an odd Leafs fan here or there that even believes that he will make it to the NHL, let alone be better than an NHL player who has 100 games under his belt.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You do realize that neither Kessel nor Matthews played their draft season at the NTDP correct? Caufield set those records as an 17/18 year old in his draft season while Matthews was in Europe winning Swiss league rookie of the year and a couple votes away from being their MVP. While Kessel was in Minnesota shitting on Caufield's D+1 season while being a draft eligible player.

If either one of Kane, Kessel or Matthews went back to the NTDP, Caufield wouldn't sniff any records and neither would have Jack Hughes two years ago.

Funny you say that considering you're trying to argue the exact opposite regarding Caufield and Robertson. While Robertson was dominating against kids, Caufield was producing at a ppg rate against men and lead his conference in goals as a rookie. There is no doubt that Caufield would've destroyed the ohl had he played there. The same guy who holds the record for most career goals in the NTDP, and most goals in a single season, which was previously held by Kessel and Matthews.

Also, you realize that had Caufield played 1 more game in his draft-1 season, he could've beaten Matthews record then? Matthews scored 55 goals in 60 games in his draft-1 season at the NTDP, Caufield scored 54 goals in 59 games.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Only time they've played together, one got moved up the lineup (Robertson), while one was moved down the lineup.

Robertson has been more impressive post draft and seems to have more compete and a better all around game.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Funny you say that considering you're trying to argue the exact opposite regarding Caufield and Robertson. While Robertson was dominating against kids, Caufield was producing at a ppg rate against men and lead his conference in goals as a rookie. There is no doubt that Caufield would've destroyed the ohl had he played there. The same guy who holds the record for most career goals in the NTDP, and most goals in a single season, which was previously held by Kessel and Matthews.

Also, you realize that had Caufield played 1 more game in his draft-1 season, he could've beaten Matthews record then? Matthews scored 55 goals in 60 games in his draft-1 season at the NTDP, Caufield scored 54 goals in 59 games.
I mean, if you want to tell me that Caufield had a better draft season than Robertson and Caufield would've done great in the CHL last year, I wouldn't be one to argue it. I'm just saying draft+1 season, Robertson was better. He was more impressive at the WJC. And he was good enough to jump from a borderline 2020 draft pick to playing in 4 NHL playin games during the playoffs this year on a pretty solid Leafs team.

I know Caufield doesn't have that opportunity since he plays NCAA so the comparison isn't fair but like I said. There's a good shot that Robertson might play in the NHL this year for the Leafs and there's a realistic chance that Robertson might end up with nearly 50-100 games under his belt in the NHL before Caufield hit NHL ice full time. Which is very impressive for a kid that was drafted 30 picks later and one who flew under the radar during his draft year.

Like I said in another post. Caufield had crazy hype coming into the draft and rightfully so. But as of last season, I saw Robertson put up numbers that match the Caufield hype. Long run, Caufield has a shot at a bigger role and opportunities than Robertson will be afforded but that added pressure can lead him to bust a lot more.

It's pretty crazy that we're even having an argument about a Leafs prospect/ future secondary players comparing them to other teams top prospects and hopefuls. I would've never thought I'd see the day.

Wasn't too long ago that we'd be sitting there salivating at the prospects of having Robertson and Amirov as our future top line players. Even guys like Korshkov, Abruzzese, Abramov, SDA. As good as they've been, they might not even see NHL daylight. These guys would've been touted as future top 6 hopefuls on the Leafs not too long ago.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Robertson is a great player that had a really great season. Why do you guys always have to make it about players just being on the Leafs? It's honestly exhausting. Get over it.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Except no one brought up SDA in this thread except for you. Stick to the topic, otherwise it's just you flinging crap at the wall hoping to ridicule and criticize Leafs fans for no reason. And just because a few Leafs fans said something doesn't mean ALL Leafs fans believe it.

As far as the thread goes, Caufield vs. Robertson is closer than you want to admit and Leafs fans are fine with that because he was drafted so much later. A Habs fan created it, too, so I don't get what your issue is.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Close but I'm more of a Caulfield fan. Won't be surprised regardless of who's more successful.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Robertson is a great player that had a really great season. Why do you guys always have to make it about players just being on the Leafs? It's honestly exhausting. Get over it.
Instead of getting offended, you could answer the question which is the very first sentence of the post.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Instead of getting offended, you could answer the question which is the very first sentence of the post.
I'm not offended, I'm letting you know that it's exhausting when non-Leafs fans downplay and minimize every Leafs fans opinion solely because they are Leafs fans. The first thing you did in this thread was call out the person's opinion because the player in question was drafted by the Leafs.

The guy even said it was cool that it's even a conservation given Robertson's draft placement, indicating he was open and interested in the conversation. Then you shut him down because he's a Leafs fan.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Except no one brought up SDA in this thread except for you. Stick to the topic, otherwise it's just you flinging crap at the wall hoping to ridicule and criticize Leafs fans for no reason. And just because a few Leafs fans said something doesn't mean ALL Leafs fans believe it.

As far as the thread goes, Caufield vs. Robertson is closer than you want to admit and Leafs fans are fine with that because he was drafted so much later. A Habs fan created it, too, so I don't get what your issue is.
Not talking about SDA as the player, and maybe stick to your own advice instead of ranting?

As far as the thread goes, 1 season isn't enough to call them as close as some here believe. Otherwise, we should be able to say that Caufield is a better prospect than Turcotte right now which is just not true(and frankly a lot more appropriate than Robertson vs Caufield). Not like you can even properly evaluate the two players because one was PPG in college on a poor team while the other destroyed the junior league. Caufield was definitely better pre draft and nobody right now can say with certainty that Robertson has been better post draft(not like 1 season means the world anyways) like how Leaf fans are claiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad